Resigned to a stop start season.

Carlisle Bear

This team needs broken up in the summer, most of the players have done us a good turn but teams usually go in cycles of about 4 years and it's starting to show with us.

Can't keep clinging to thinking one big win will kick start us. We're absolutely riddled with inconsistency in terms of selection and player form and there's little sign of it calming down.

We can still have success this year of course, however I think there will be dropped points and frustrating days a plenty.

We had a miracle season to win 55 when everything went to plan.

This one's going to be hard work and stodgy but we can still come out champions.

This team needs broken up in the summer, most of the players have done us a good turn but teams usually go in cycles of about 4 years and it's starting to show with us.

Can't keep clinging to thinking one big win will kick start us. We're absolutely riddled with inconsistency in terms of selection and player form and there's little sign of it calming down.

We can still have success this year of course, however I think there will be dropped points and frustrating days a plenty.

Like most title winning seasons.

There will be plenty more dropped points this season and we look a squad that’s stood still and gone flat and stale.

No Champions League next season would be a disaster.

So you want rid of Gerrard?

When you say "want rid" i think you're putting words in my mouth.

But is he closer to the end than the beggining? I think so.

There are life cycles. Things peter out. To criticise the desire in the dugout is to provoke a furious backlash on here, and yet the sense is things arent as hungry there as last season.

I'd be looking to try and get top dollar for either Aribo or Kamara plus Morelos in January if we could secure a few quality loan signings, this squad needs freshener up now

There are life cycles. Things peter out. To criticise the desire in the dugout is to provoke a furious backlash on here, and yet the sense is things arent as hungry there as last season.

I get the impression Gerrard already knows this will be his last season here.

It’s absolutely brutal.

Incessant international breaks, covid bollocks and our fair share of injuries. I’m glad to be back at games of course but by God is this season a slog and a half.

Keep saying it and nothing is even beginning to change my mind with each passing game.

We banked on a 4 year cycle. We peaked a year too early and with absolutely no wiggle room in the transfer market to compensate for it.

The big bids we expected for the usual names simply aren't going to come bar one or two exceptions. I've resigned myself to that.

Next summer is going to be absolutely mental in terms of squad turnover.

I get the impression Gerrard already knows this will be his last season here.

You would think so.

There's always talk on here about him going to this club or that club....I think he'll plan on securing back to back titles then just walking away to wait for something else comes up. His stock will still be high in that circumstance.

A dislocated pre-season, COVID, injuries, international breaks - I think it'll be the 2nd half of the season before we kick on.

I would have sold Alfie this Summer, even if it meant a 12m fee + reasonable add-ons. The squad required a fresh impetus.

You would think so.

There's always talk on here about him going to this club or that club....I think he'll plan on securing back to back titles then just walking away to wait for something else comes up. His stock will still be high in that circumstance.

Europe is where Gerrard & Beale want to - and need to - test themselves. I'll be surprised if he steps aside from the Champions League group stages.

You would think so.

I reckon you’re right. But if so I hope he isn’t already letting his focus slip akin to one of his centre halves, because it really could cost us.

The next two summers sees a number of players out of contract. Adding a management team to that would be a huge ask. We just don’t have the money.

Yeah I don’t want to worry about it too much just now but you’re not wrong. We’re looking at a serious overhaul on and off the park which does make me a tad nervous.

Last edited:
Europe is where Gerrard & Beale want to - and need to - test themselves. I'll be surprised if he steps aside from the Champions League group stages.

But he has to protect his own reputation first and foremost. Regardless of how we do it, even limping over the line...as long as he delivers the title again he'll still have the high stock south of the border.

No doubt the allure of Champions league group stages would be something to consider hanging around for, but in all sincerity I think we are ill equipped to be competitive at that level. I think for him weighing up the odds, going out on the high of another title is probably the most sensible thing for him.

The next two summers sees a number of players out of contract. Adding a management team to that would be a huge ask. We just don’t have the money.

If Gerrard goes, it'll be because he's took another job. I don't see him leaving to go back to punditry.

If we don't have a massive compensation clause for him and his team then someone hasn't done their job right.

But he has to protect his own reputation first and foremost. Regardless of how we do it, even limping over the line...as long as he delivers the title again he'll still have the high stock south of the border.

No doubt the allure of Champions league group stages would be something to consider hanging around for, but in all sincerity I think we are ill equipped to be competitive at that level. I think for him weighing up the odds, going out on the high of another title is probably the most sensible thing for him.

No one will expect much from the Champions League. A third place, for example, would be an excellent return.

For the wider footballing world, I'm not sure he's proving too much when managing against teams 4+ times per season. Of more interest are the performances (not necessarily results) in Europe. It's why there was praise when progressing in the Europa League - it meant more than a League Cup.

Guaranteed Champions League qualification plus money brought in from a couple of decent sales and it's an exciting time for the manager.

I think we'll have the best domestic return this season than we have previously under Gerrard.

Yeah I don’t want to worry about it too much just now but you’re not wrong. We’re looking at a serious overhaul on and off the park while does make me a tad nervous.

I think that’s whey there is concern over our performances and form. CL money is a must.

Look at the players out of contract over the next two summers, look at what we require. It’s a massive overhaul.

Panty wetting though…

I think that’s whey there is concern over our performances and form. CL money is a must.

Look at the players out of contract over the next two summers, look at what we require. It’s a massive overhaul.

Panty wetting though…

Can’t be arsed with the “panty wetting” shite from folk who think it’s staunch to put on a brave face and ignore all problems

No one will expect much from the Champions League. A third place, for example, would be an excellent return.

For the wider footballing world, I'm not sure he's proving too much when managing against teams 4+ times per season. Of more interest are the performances (not necessarily results) in Europe. It's why there was praise when progressing in the Europa League - it meant more than a League Cup.

Guaranteed Champions League qualification plus money brought in from a couple of decent sales and it's an exciting time for the manager.

I think we'll have the best domestic return this season than we have previously under Gerrard.

Its not like Gerrard winning the Scottish Premiership is met with disdain south of the border.

He’s obviously a massive draw and when he won the title with Rangers it was a big deal globally and in England.

What he’s done in Europe will have impressed those in the game most, for sure, but winning the title was obviously the biggest thing for his reputation in the media. They do report on him winning the league, they don’t particular care that he reached the last 32 of the Europa or something.

This appointment was a big risk for all parties - his management career could easily have begun and ended at Ibrox had it not worked out. As it stands, his stock is still strong down here and he’s likely to cash in on that if he wins the league again.

You’re right..
Unfortunately we’ll see a lot of games like today.. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

There's a bit difference between Gerrard Out banners and just a natural conclusion to his reign, it feels like it's getting there.

Managerial reigns are usually about 3 or 4 years these days, it then starts to go a bit stale. There are exceptions of course.

You wonder if they just run out of stuff to say to the players.

Back