Rest Of The World XI, 1963

If I remember correctly it was a afternoon mid week match . I remember watching some of it in front of a TV shop in Partick, black and white and a small screen.Those were the days .
I think Law scored late on and Baxter played second half.

Law scored, Baxter came on for Masopust. IIRC, very few Brazilians selected. In those days, football was much more mysterious, very very few live games, 99% of South Americans stayed and played at home.

Jim McCalliog was an apprentice at Chelsea at that time and they were asked to go and be ballboys, clean boots etc for RoW team . Had some good stories about Baxter . In Baxters book I think.

Jim McCalliog was an apprentice at Chelsea at that time and they were asked to go and be ballboys, clean boots etc for RoW team . Had some good stories about Baxter . In Baxters book I think.
Played against McCalliog as a schoolboy when he was at Holyrood.
Outstanding player even on the red blaise!

Would love to have seen Jim Baxter. Amazing to think one of our own mixing it with the likes of Puskas, Di Stefano and Eusebio. Today’s equivalent would be like Scott Arfield playing in a World XI with Messi, Ronaldo and Lewandowski.

EDIT: Before anyone says it, I am not comparing Scott Arfield with the great Jim Baxter :))

It surely is one of football's greatest mysteries that a country such as Hungary could be so good in the 1950's, and then produce virtually nothing in the next 60 years.

It surely is one of football's greatest mysteries that a country such as Hungary could be so good in the 1950's, and then produce virtually nothing in the next 60 years.
Florian Albert was a world class player who came after the likes of Puskas, Czibor, Kubala etc but yeah since he retired there has not been a lot.

A lot of hype for Szoboszlai. Haven't seen how he's getting on this season though.

Florian Albert was a world class player who came after the likes of Puskas, Czibor, Kubala etc but yeah since he retired there has not been a lot.

A lot of hype for Szoboszlai. Haven't seen how he's getting on this season though.
Supposedly after Puskas defected, they made out in Hungary that he had died and many only found out post-communism that it wasn’t true.

Fantastic memories. Remember seeing it on tele. Even then I realised how good we were to have Slim Jim in the World team. Probably saw a few of these guys playing either at Ibrox or Hampden Park in the ’60’s. We even got to see Pele and Brazil in ’66 as well as England’s World Cup team in May.

Back