RSEA our brush with Walter - a lovely wee tale

RSEA

Official Ticketer
A wee story about Walter

After years of pursuing him for an RSEA dinner, we eventually found the key to the lock to get him in, in the form of a mutual friend who popped the question.

Walter said he was aware of our work and agreed to attend our dinner at the Sherbrooke scheduled for October 2020.

A few weeks later however, he called to apologise as he was double booked.

We were gutted.
We'd been so close to landing him.

And then......

"I'm genuinely sorry for letting you boys down, can I offer you a prize for your auction instead?"

RSEA (M.R.)
We'd be delighted.

Walter
"OK, when you're doing your auction make one of the prizes, a private dinner for four hosted by me.
I'll take the winner and three guests for a night out to any restaurant of their choice"

RSEA (M.R.)
"that's great
We can pay the restaurant out the winning bid, and the rest can go to Erskine"

Walter
"No, they'll be my guests, I'll pay the bill, all their winning bid will go to ERSKINE "

RSEA (M.R.)
"Wow!"

Walter
"Is that OK?"

Unfortunately Covid came to town followed by ill health and the event never came to fruition.
But we will always remember with great fondness, the time Walter offered to help out our wee initiative .

RIP to a truly wonderful man
You will be missed.

The man was absolute class. There are very very very few people with the class and dignity Walter had. That is why the outpouring of tributes today all focus on what he was like as a man.

I cannot think of anyone that has ever neen associated with our wonderful club who has symbolised more what it means to be a Ranger than Walter. He absolutely loved Rangers and we absolutely loved him.

I've been beating myself up all day about a time our paths crossed.

I was installing a gas fire for a customer of mine in Carmyle and I was out in the garden mixing some cement for the flue, I seen this guy walking towards me all suited and booted, just out a big Range rover, he walks into the garden and I'm like I know that guy, that's Walter Smith, wtf is he doing going into this house I'm working in, turns out it was the house he was born and raised in and his sister now owned it!

I'm in the living room fitting the fire and he is sitting 6ft away from me on the chair, I was trying to be professional and never bothered him.

I said to his sister afterwards I wish I chatted with him and asked for a picture as he was my hero growing up and she said he would have chatted no bother and had a picture no problem at all, I was filthy at the time and just didnt what to bother the man but I today I have been wishing I did.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Incredible. Can you imagine how much that would've raised?

Great photo in your post too, cropped a little too much at the bottom though ;)

I’d have donated my left nad for that. Not that Erskine would have had much use for it right enough.

Total class from Walter but not the least bit surprising. Loved the man.

I wonder if SG or any of the incumbent management team would honour this gift offered by Walter on his behalf and in his memory.

Back