Scotland U21 Squad - Five Rangers Players

Big Buff

We've five players in the latest U21 squad, the most of any team by a distance.

Robby McCrorie
Kieran Wright
Stephen Kelly
Ross McCrorie
Glenn Middleton

Stephen Kelly is only the second member of the squad who is young enough to have been a graduate of the SFA's Performance School, along with Billy Gilmour (also formerly of Rangers, of course).

We have some very promising young players. It's critical that we get their development right.

Well said B Buff.
I can’t wait to see some of our young players make a first team spot their own. Unveiling a new signing is always exciting but bringing through our own youngsters tops the lot.

Truthfully we need to start bringing more players through otherwise having Auchenhowie is a waste of time.

Who's the last player to come through our system to make us any sort of money?

Billy Gilmour probably would've done but apart from that we don't produce anyone.

Truthfully we need to start bringing more players through otherwise having Auchenhowie is a waste of time.

Who's the last player to come through our system to make us any sort of money?

Billy Gilmour probably would've done but apart from that we don't produce anyone.

Hutton?

However Auchenhowie is a training facility, not a youth academy - like La Masia

Well, yes, that's the goal.

But our players are great up until U21 level. Then they hit a wall because they don't get enough development in the first team.

They would get that development if they were good enough. If they aren't then they need to get it elsewhere. We haven't brought through a good young player who has become a first team regular since Alan Hutton. Winning trophies at youth level and under age caps don't really mean anything.

They would get that development if they were good enough. If they aren't then they need to get it elsewhere. We haven't brought through a good young player who has become a first team regular since Alan Hutton. Winning trophies at youth level and under age caps don't really mean anything.
They're plenty good enough. Some managers are just risk-averse with regards to fielding young players.

We've five players in the latest U21 squad, the most of any team by a distance.

Robby McCrorie
Kieran Wright
Stephen Kelly
Ross McCrorie
Glenn Middleton

Stephen Kelly is only the second member of the squad who is young enough to have been a graduate of the SFA's Performance School, along with Billy Gilmour (also formerly of Rangers, of course).

We have some very promising young players. It's critical that we get their development right.

Good news and thanks for posting.
Because on the sky sports ticker tape at the moment the only mention of this is that Paedo FCs Mikey Johnston has been picked for the under 21 squad.

But our players are great up until U21 level. Then they hit a wall because they don't get enough development in the first team.

Agreed mate , 1 reason why i’d love to see colt teams admitted to the lower divisions . We could blood our own youngsters at a decent level in the style of play we choose

Windass done a Q&A on Instagram a wee while ago and he said Stephen Kelly was head & shoulders above anyone else in the academy.

Agreed mate , 1 reason why i’d love to see colt teams admitted to the lower divisions . We could blood our own youngsters at a decent level in the style of play we choose
Playing against part timers is only good up until a point. All of our best prospects are currently in the Championship or higher.

My solution would be to require each team to play a minimum number of U21 players on the pitch at any one time. I then wouldn't have your U21 players count as a substitute.

It's a bit radical and it'll never happen, but it's a nice idea.

They're plenty good enough. Some managers are just risk-averse with regards to fielding young players.

The Manager is currently getting a hard time for bringing in a highly experienced Swedish internationalist because, some say, it weakens the team. God help him bringing in a youngster.:eek:

Middleton, McCrorie and Atakayi (fleetingly) got a chance last season - albeit only McCrorie is our own. I’d guess Stephen Kelly is the one most likely to come through from those listed. Really impressed with what I’ve seen of him.

The Manager is currently getting a hard time for bringing in a highly experienced Swedish internationalist because, some say, it weakens the team. God help him bringing in a youngster.:eek:

Middleton, McCrorie and Atakayi (fleetingly) got a chance last season - albeit only McCrorie is our own. I’d guess Stephen Kelly is the one most likely to come through from those listed. Really impressed with what I’ve seen of him.
I totally understand it, but the fact is it has to change soon, because when McGregor retires we will have no home grown players in the squad, which really hampers us with European squad selections.

We have to be brave and bold and play the kids. Even 1800 minutes a season per player would make a huge difference. When you consider that we have nearly 50,000 minutes playing time available in a 50 game season, it's not much to ask.

I totally understand it, but the fact is it has to change soon, because when McGregor retires we will have no home grown players in the squad, which really hampers us with European squad selections.

We have to be brave and bold and play the kids. Even 1800 minutes a season per player would make a huge difference. When you consider that we have nearly 50,000 minutes playing time available in a 50 game season, it's not much to ask.

Twenty full games (1800 minutes) is a lot. A typo I assume.

Presumably Robbie McCrorie could come into the squad to replace Foderingham or Firth next season mate? Ross McC will be back as well. The thing is, many of our youngsters are such an age that they can go into the B Squad rather than the A Squad for Europe. As I said, I have high hopes that Kelly will ‘make it’. I take your point though

Twenty full games (1800 minutes) is a lot. A typo I assume.

Presumably Robbie McCrorie could come into the squad to replace Foderingham or Firth next season mate? Ross McC will be back as well. The thing is, many of our youngsters are such an age that they can go into the B Squad rather than the A Squad for Europe. I take your point though
It's not really that much if we're serious about the investment in our academy. In fact, I'd say it's the bare minimum tbh.

Problem with Robbie McCrorie is if he comes back in just to be backup, he's not developing. We'd have to make him the Cup keeper too plus give him one league game in ten. Even then, he'd likely max out at around 1200 minutes per season, which isn't really enough.

It's not really that much if we're serious about the investment in our academy. In fact, I'd say it's the bare minimum tbh.

Problem with Robbie McCrorie is if he comes back in just to be backup, he's not developing. We'd have to make him the Cup keeper too plus give him one league game in ten. Even then, he'd likely max out at around 1200 minutes per season, which isn't really enough.

All we have to do is win the league. :rolleyes:

History will tell you that successful teams are more likely, and more able, to bring in kids. Especially in Scotland. The Dhims have been able to bring through some young players because, basically, they have had a free run at things for at least 6 years.

Our support, for obvious reasons, are currently very, very unforgiving of errors. Just read some of the shite on here after a misplaced pass. Kids get a free ride for all of 1 game then folk are on their case after every mistake. Middleton last season is probably as good an example as any. Win that title and the pressure on the players, and the Manager, eases immensely.

All we have to do is win the league. :rolleyes:

History will tell you that successful teams are more likely, and more able, to bring in kids. Especially in Scotland. The Dhims have been able to bring through some young players because, basically, they have had a free run at things for at least 6 years.

Our support, for obvious reasons, are currently very, very unforgiving of errors. Just read some of the shite on here after a misplaced pass. Kids get a free ride for all of 1 game then folk are on their case after every mistake. Middleton last season is probably as good an example as any. Win that title and the pressure on the players, and the Manager, eases immensely.
Winning solves a lot of problems, but it doesn't solve this one.

The fans absolutely need to cut young players some slack. We don't need to win a title to do this.

As fans, we are incredibly resistant to change. There's no reason for us to be.

It is what it is mate. If we were 5 titles in and looking good for lots more you can be sure the kids would be getting a chance. Don’t expect it until the monkey is off our back though. It might be wrong but it’s a fact.

We will try to manage the UEFA limit with the likes of McGregor, the McCrories and Stephen Kelly next season (though the latter might still be B Squad age I think).

How’s Jake Hastie not been called up? He’s started the season really well.

Top teams like Barca, Atl. Madrid, Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, PSG and
others are playing teenagers. There is
something far wrong with our setup
when we have the Cream of the Crop
of youngsters and none reach the 1st
team.

I know it's a long time ago but Willie Henderson & Willie Johnston were both in the first team at seventeen & playing for Scotland at eighteen,

Reactions: o7o
[/QUOTE

Not easy to field young players a Rangers we must win every game . Bringing in a kid he has a bad game with us can finish him. Really has got be exceptional.
With he lower clubs not the same pressure just a fact of life.

I watched the U18s last night, beat St Mirrn 4-1. We have overhauled our development teams in last 2 years. Last year we won u16s, reserve and u18s. We have great players coming through and have signed many of them. There are real stars in u21s and u18s. But, we need to give them the chance to develop. and step up into senior team. I expect us to start including some of them at end of season into senior squads and giving them some game time.

First team football should start at 19.
20 at the latest, those are very important years for a footballer, if they are "still learning" & playing bit parts at 22 then we've got it wrong.

20 at the latest, those are very important years for a footballer, if they are "still learning" & playing bit parts at 22 then we've got it wrong.
Bang on. Some players are late developers, but plenty are not. We need to give them the chance to show what they can do and show what they can become.

Hopefully the experience will develop them into first team players and it also raises the profile of the club as one that produces talented young football players.

Their first step is playing senior football at a level below that required by Rangers. Prove themselves worthy of a weekly starting slot at the likes of Ayr, Hibs, Portsmouth or Rotherham, become a stand-out at that level and they will be ready to step up for Rangers. That's why we send them out on loan. They are going to learn precious little from a handful of 10 minute cameos at Ibrox - send them out to play against the seniors at other clubs and let them make their mistakes in their colours. As I've said earlier, I'm excited by how well Stephen Kelly is doing at Ayr. He has a change of Manager to deal with now as well, so that's another challenge for him. High hopes for that lad.

There are no guarantees, of course, even if they do excel whilst away. Greg Docherty being a prime example. It takes a special player to excel at Rangers, probably more in terms of mentality than raw talent.

Back