Shots from outside the box

Gibraltar Loyal

With Dorrans hitting a belter on Friday should we be enjoying this tactic more?
I always feel that if we take a shot it could fly in or take a deflection and go in as opposed to trying to walk it in all the time.
I also understand it may end in row Z but if you don't buy a ticket you cannae win the raffle.
Thoughts?

Windass in particular needs to up his game with this. He had 3 on Friday. One blocked, the other two Row Z after creating space for himself.

But yes I'd definitely agree. When they went down to 10 they packed their box. It was crying out for someone to do what Dorrans did. We have guys capable of it, no doubt.

Our shooting from outside the box is generally very poor. It's one of the main reasons why we struggle to create too many clear cut chances as the opposition are quite willing to back off and allow us efforts from 25-30 yards.

Just hitting the target more often would be an improvement. Our players tend to try and hit them too hard and they end up in row Z.

Dorrans has the ability but needs to use it more, we really do need to vary our attack more whether it's long shots or attacking through the middle.

Yes, we should. We've got a few players that actually work themselves into good positions just outside the 18 yard box and they'll either cut back and play the short pass to someone or just keep going until the opportunity is gone. The shot by Dorrans on Friday was a belter and we do have players who can hit the ball too - they just don't. As above, Windass is probably the one most guilty of that - he cuts in from the wing and regularly finds himself in a good position to have a shot but very rarely does - funny thing is, I am sure on the odd occasion he has he's had a good shot or scored.

It's something the Rangers team have been guilty of for a few seasons now.

Back