Should players offer reduced wages

They should be allowed to keep all their wages as per their contract. Remember 50% of what they get is going to the tax man who's now paying out to the very people that need it, ie The louden, and workers wages. Other small businesses will get some too and that money will eventually find its way back to the club on ticket money etc. The only real way to save a recession type scenario is to spend your way out. That might not seem like a logical way to do it but any economics expert will tell you it is.

Very much a personal decision what we do with our wages including highly paid footballers. There will be a lot of low paid workers who are going to really struggle and inevitably some will lose their jobs and not only the low paid. Anyone who can afford it should consider, if this virus takes it’s toll as feared donating some of their wage to the needy causes which no doubt will emerge very soon. Our football Clubs “health” must come after our people.

I wonder how much of their wages are based on bonuses for results or number of appearances.

Big earners should defo. Lower earners on say 1k a week shouldn't as if they take a 50% cut it will genually take its toll. After tax etc players on 1k a week will have bills where the money goes too. They will have Bill's etc like the rest of us maybe a bigger mortgage and car paymeants where it would make them maybe miss something. 1g a wee is a good wage but that 1g after tax etc is about £600 or £700. Alot of us on here will make that and alot will be on more so asking us to take a 50% hit when you do the maths with Bill's etc it wouldnt add up. And again I'm not saying 1k a week is a low earner but when you have bills to cover making 1g a week and have to half your pay then it's a problem.

Where do you have the cut off? £5k a week? £10k?

Where do you have the cut off? £5k a week? £10k?
Exactly why this is so much more complex than many seem to grasp.

What if a player is earning 10k a week, but has signed a rent agreement on a big house for 10k a month and they lease a car at, say, 2k a month. They’ll have other bills and commitments that are commensurate with their earnings. Take away half that income and they don’t have the income to cover those bills.

Now, fans can sneer about how easy it is to get by on “only 5k a week”, but we all make different commitments based on our income. If the player doesn’t pay his rent then the person renting it to him loses their income, so they fire a couple of cleaners. The garage the player leased the car from gets handed the car back and has no income, so a couple of mechanics and the wee lassie on reception get let go.

We’re all going to take some pain right now and footballers shouldn’t and won’t be immune to that. Some people, in all walks of life, are better placed to bear the pain; players will be losing out now on appearance monies, win bonuses and commercial income (from personal sponsors). The absolute sums will be much higher than those of the average guy on the street, even if we think they’re still overpaid. But where exactly do you draw the line? It’s impossible to say.

Like the government strategy on employment this must be done now. Done and dusted by next week at the latest. Cash flow problems will strangle most clubs within a few weeks.

Would the players being kept in employment by the club not make them eligible for the Governments 80% pay deal up to £2500 a week?

I realise the players will be on a lot more than that a week.

I think the question is relevant to all high earners in all businesses.
In these exceptional circumstances many businesses will go bust due to no or low revenues. The govt measures announced yesterday will help pay lower earners but not high earners. It is businesses with no revenues and high earners that could suffer most.e.g. Football clubs.
If my business is robust and is not threatened by the crisis then I would expect to be paid as normal.
If my business was at risk then I would offer to cut my salary.
I think most football clubs are at risk at the moment so the high earners should definitely offer to take a cut or deferral.

Don’t think they should be asked, but if the offer came From the players then it should be accepted.

These guys will all be paying 46% tax so one or 2 grand a week drop is in reality only half that which is nothing to them in the big scheme of things if it helps in other areas of the club or wider Rangers community.

I'd keep their wages but have them working for it. Why can't the players represent our club off the pitch still? Charity events (obviously small scale) etc

Yes.
It would show a certain connection with the fans who will no doubt be asked to put there hands in there pockets. Ive no doubt this crisis is going to go a lot further than most people are thinking. Lots of jobs will be lost, fans will struggle to survive never mind renew. I would like to see the players show that they are in the trenches with us.

I believe they will have no choice if this continues for a substantial period. The club will make the decision and the wages will be cut-they can accept or terminate their contract.

It has happened to me in the past and it will likely happen again the way things are going- many more will be in the same boat

It will be termed as measures to save the company

For me it will be about what they do after this. Just making some away matches free by paying for everyone’s ticket and transport or giving all season ticket holders a free meal voucher or something to say thanks. In Germany I expect the players at Clubs to get everyone a beer in at a home game or something of the like.

The way the English FA and team are with those who had already booked transport and hotels for friendlies and the Euros will be something I will be watching out for as it has affected me and I am on my last legs with respect for many of them.

Bit different mate...presume poster still working and not getting paid £10k per week!!!

It’s all relative. 10k a week is a lot until you’re without a club as some of the out of contract players will be in a few months...

if social distancing continues for another year, football will not return and those out of contract will not get another club.

i dont see it as comparable with footballers earnings to the average punter

So what's your limit.

What salary level should someone be at to offer to take a pay cut, in order to save the business they work for.

Assuming the owner of that business has already done more themselves to save it.

I believe they will have no choice if this continues for a substantial period. The club will make the decision and the wages will be cut-they can accept or terminate their contract.

It has happened to me in the past and it will likely happen again the way things are going- many more will be in the same boat

It will be termed as measures to save the company

Unfortunately, I think this is nearer the truth than many believe.

They sign a contact so don’t see why they shouldn’t be paid what they are due.

I suspect if things get bad the PFA might try and introduce something like this nationwide but I don't know

If the club ask then the players are free to leave as it’s breach of contract . If the players offer then they are still contracted so no issue . Won’t happen in my opinion

They should be contributing a % to a fund for the less fortunate
They do. It’s called tax. As with the point earlier, where do you draw a line on expecting people to pay more than they’re obliged to?

If they do, then it’s credit to them. But if not then we have no right to expect it

I started thread asking about footballers in general not Rangers players only. Also started with an open mind, most folk around the world will need to make sacrifices over this. The only decent argument I've heard as to why they should is knock on effect to other workers who rely on their regular payments. I honestly have no idea (Defoe apart) how much players earn.

Yes. Steven Gerrard and Jermaine Defoe will never need another penny in their lives yet are probably two of our biggest earners.

They shouldn't have to but it would be a fantastic gesture if some our higher paid players were able to sacrifice some of their wages to go towards any of the backroom staff on lower wages if there was any threat of them losing their jobs.

Why? Because you don't? What if they have an expensive lifestyle?
Then they should reign it in while they like the rest of us are on all but a lockdown. Greed and the over indulgence of mankind in one form or another is what has got us here in the first place!!

They do. It’s called tax. As with the point earlier, where do you draw a line on expecting people to pay more than they’re obliged to?

If they do, then it’s credit to them. But if not then we have no right to expect it
At the end of the day millions are in the same boat relying on the kindness of their companies to pay wages.

They're being paid to stay away from the club is like to think of asked they’d take a lower % or pay into a fund.

If not, they are greedy bastards.
Clubs like us, should try and reduce a wage bill, after all, who can live on a wage drop that they are on without going to work. . Me. !!!

Overpaid as far as i'm concerned

I reckon they could, and still nick about in their Range Rovers and wags and not give a f.uck.
We will be saving on appearances fees as well as bonuses so that in itself will save us

Back