Some stuff on Rangers this season from StatsBomb

Hemdani

StatsBomb is a pretty big football analytic company that provides a software used by clubs in England, Germany & France.

Anyway they've done a small piece on each club in the SPFL this season and here is the bit about us.

"Exciting times over at Ibrox with Rangers creating the second highest xG per game. They do this by carving out really good chances. They make the most ‘clear shots’ and have the highest xG per open play shot in the league. Often they overload the right side with James Tavernier, Daniel Candeias, Scott Arfield and Alfredo Morelos linking up well. On the left, young loanee Ryan Kent has stepped in for inured Jamie Murphy to great effect. When Steven Gerrard has altered this 4-3-3 set up to introduce Kyle Lafferty as an aerial weapon they have struggled. This was the case against Motherwell, Livingston and Celtic.

Apart from having courage in his convictions, what is needed for Gerrard to get Rangers up the table? Smart squad management given Europa League commitments and some work on set pieces given they concede the second highest xG from them per match in the league."

Also, Ryan Kents radar. :eek:

Ryan-Kent-Premiership-2018_2019.png

Disappointing to see that set pieces are still a bit of an achilles heel for us. Hopefully it's something that we have been working on as our defending from open play has improved significantly on last year.

Disappointing to see that set pieces are still a bit of an achilles heel for us. Hopefully it's something that we have been working on as our defending from open play has improved significantly on last year.

We seem to become lazy at set pieces how many times have our defenders lost there man? Add to that Gerrard making subs when we are defending set pieces that can't be helping

We seem to become lazy at set pieces how many times have our defenders lost there man? Add to that Gerrard making subs when we are defending set pieces that can't be helping

Totally agree UD. I've heard that we are now freeing Goldson from any marking duties to go and attack the ball, a bit like Davie Weir used to. On the making substitutions when defending a set piece I also find that bizarre, it was always considered a major no no and I would've thought on Page one of the Manager's rule book. Not only that but it has cost us at least twice so far that I can remember.

The problem with set pieces is that we get zero protection from referees resulting in more goals against us.

Back