SPFL on Sky Sports UHD

theweeman

Official Ticketer
Has there ever been a SPFL game in UHD on Sky Sports?

Just signed up as moving house tomorrow, and had a friends and family code. I can’t recall seeing it advertised though!

What other sports are shown?

Hopefully more will get added in UHD this season, they really need to roll out HDR as well, that’s tremendous.

The French Open was in 4k on Eurosport recently.
Hopefully there will be more than just the EPL next season

I think some of the upcoming cricket will be on UHD.

Its shit that none of the SPFL has been so far though, I'd have thought us versus the bog-trotters could've had the full bhuna. We pay the same as viewers down south.

At least BT Sport care they little bit more about Scottish coverage by rolling out their 4K channel for the SPL with it now included on virgin media.

This country is a joke when it comes to adopting new tech. UHD was demonstrated at TV industry conferences in 2009, BBC were compelled to deliver the Olympics at that quality (for Japanese audiences primarily, although they put demo screens up to showcase it here). That's six years ago and still barely anything is covered by it.

Truth is, it's bloody expensive to roll out - cameras, upgraded networking and broadcast equipment - but with most new TV sales being 4K compatible it ought to be there now.

Same as the "widescreen" scam 20 years ago - it was the same picture with square elements turned to rectangles (talk to anyone in the industry and they'll explain it). So subtle that nobody noticed, right up to the 2002 World Cup when even Korea didn't even bother broadcasting fake widescreen in SD. Took HD to deliver actual native widescreen and of course that meant replacing your telly again...

Back