Tactical Change after 3 mins today

Sorry but I still think it’s baffling for a manager to change his set up after 4 minutes. We’re playing Dundee Utd at home not f****n prime time Barcelona.

Right. But someone in the match thread (Cooperfan?) was having a fit that we weren't going far enough in that respect and demanding GVB made subs on the 20 minute mark. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

I honestly think it's refreshing to see a manager who isn't scared to change things. So far Gios subs have worked well for him when he's made them

The introduction of wright definitely had them on the back foot and Lundstram just wasn't working in the midfield.

Gio changed it after 4 minutes because Dundee Utd unexpectedly lined up 2 up top.

Scott Wright had a positive influence on today’s game, what change would you have made at half time?
I’d have preferred Sakala on for Lundstram instead of Wright.

Sakala would press them hard and provide a genuine goal threat.

Wright did lift things for a short time but as per the previous poster, I just don’t see it with him. He petered out as he tends to do and fluffed his lines when he had a decent chance to score.

So GvB made 4 positional changes to the defence in the thought that United would play 1 through the middle.
United played 2 up top and we change it after 3 minutes,it begs the question why not start your settled defensive line up with just 1 enforced change at LB then change positions on what he thought they might do?

I think it's baffling that you think you know more about football management than an actual football manager.
If these players need managed against the likes of Dundee Utd then they’re no Rangers class!

Borna wasn't playing mate.
Paterson started at Left centre back.
Him and Bassey swapped positions after a few minutes.
He already corrected it to Bassey but what you said isn’t true.

We started as: left to right)

Bassey Goldson Tavernier Patterson

Changed fo:

Patterson Bassey Goldson Tavernier

He already corrected it to Bassey but what you said isn’t true.

We started as: left to right)

Bassey Goldson Tavernier Patterson

Changed fo:

Patterson Bassey Goldson Tavernier
I wasn't paying attention at the start of the game.
Must have mixed up what Tom was saying.
Made an arse of that post

We thought D U would go 4 3 3 or 1 up front, but as soon as they went 2 up front, needed Bassey in a CB.

(I think).
Even if United had nobody up front, Tav should never be a centre back.
I like the fact Gio quickly abandoned it, but there is no defending that initial back 4, it was utterly stupid.

Guys, we all see the game differently and always will. All I am saying is I found the starting line up wrong. Gio, in changing it after 4 minutes, must’ve agreed.
Why was Lundstram subbed at half time, he wasn’t the worst. They put on Scott Wright who with all due respect is, in my humble opinion, is not good enough. Sorry but over a season he’s not.
Today’s performance was nowhere near good enough but we got the three points which is all that matters.
Please don’t consider this a criticism of GvB as I think he’s steadied the ship and made us stronger defensively.
While we’re at it can someone explain to me how Hagi got man of the match?
The Romanian Secret Service are to blame mate….

It's really quite f'n simple.

We did not have Barisic, and as Gio anticipated Dundee utd playing 1 up top (fair assumption), he favoured having 2 full backs in their natural position and a "replacement/covering" CB next to Goldson in order to aid that (Proving Simpson is no where close to the picture frame but that's another story).

When he saw they were playing with 2, he clearly thought that was more of a threat centrally than he was comfortable with, and conceded the left hand side a little to ensure the centre was more solid.

All completely fair and part of a managers remit. Nothing baffling about it and proves our manager is very proactive and most importantly, reactive, when he has to be.

Some really silly comments on this.
This is the best explanation of why the change was made, just close the thread.

Personally, I'm absolutely delighted that we have a proactive manager who's not afraid to tweak his setup as the situation dictates. As has been said, one of Gerrard's weaknesses was an unwillingness to do so until later in the game.

So GvB made 4 positional changes to the defence in the thought that United would play 1 through the middle.
United played 2 up top and we change it after 3 minutes,it begs the question why not start your settled defensive line up with just 1 enforced change at LB then change positions on what he thought they might do?

You've answered your own question. We lined up with 1 player out of position and the change put 1 player out position, so no massive difference really.

Sorry but I still think it’s baffling for a manager to change his set up after 4 minutes. We’re playing Dundee Utd at home not f****n prime time Barcelona.
Let me simplify this.
If you leave the house and the weather forecast is for rain, you take a brolly.
It isn’t raining so you don’t use your brolly.
Three minutes into your journey it starts raining.
At this point you say “what can I do about this, I know, I’ll uses my brolly”.
That is what management is about, at any level.
You gather information, set a plan, change the plan as you get more information.

You've answered your own question. We lined up with 1 player out of position and the change put 1 player out position, so no massive difference really.
We started with 4 positional changes from the settled defence of previous games when one enforced change would have done until we seen which way they were lining up.

It's really quite f'n simple.

We did not have Barisic, and as Gio anticipated Dundee utd playing 1 up top (fair assumption), he favoured having 2 full backs in their natural position and a "replacement/covering" CB next to Goldson in order to aid that (Proving Simpson is no where close to the picture frame but that's another story).

When he saw they were playing with 2, he clearly thought that was more of a threat centrally than he was comfortable with, and conceded the left hand side a little to ensure the centre was more solid.

All completely fair and part of a managers remit. Nothing baffling about it and proves our manager is very proactive and most importantly, reactive, when he has to be.

Some really silly comments on this.
Thanks for this.
I think it may have been you whom I was quoting earlier in the thread, post nine.
Unfortunately, I erred in naming Barisic instead of Bassey and, not unusual for FF, this became the most important part of the post.
Got to be word perfect on FF, when it suits.

Two quick things here.

1) people who are saying we needed a penalty to win, yes sometimes to that happens in football. Teams will come to Ibrox and make life difficult for us to score. If they are then forced in to an error, in this case a hand ball because of our attack, and we secured the 3 points. We do we insist on diminishing it down to rangers being reliant on getting a penalty, rather than the fact we earned that penalty. Its a very timmy narrative to think good old rangers getting a lucky penalty again.

2) are we really at a stage where people are complaining that our manager set up a certain way he thought would best suit the opposition, and when they tried something different he actively took steps to resolve the situation and within 4 minutes it was sorted and no damage done. Its almost as if he's a football manger and is being made to figure out the best approach for playing teams and make tactialt decisions. How we can find negatives in gvb being quick to respond to what he sees on the park and making a good tactical change is baffling.

Why are we lining up to counter utd?

Sakala all day today before hagi. Gio's first mistakes.

3 points tho so no harm done.
There was no space in behind so sakalas pace would have been nullified, havi didn't have his best game but his movement and vision to spot a pass would be the right thing to unlock a packed defence

We got 3 points because one of their players decided to stick their arm out for a cross. Nothing to do with tactics. We weren't good today at all.
You're right, we weren't very good. And ideed only won because of an arm.
Without our change in personnel/shape, that ball never gets squared from wide right.

GvB made errors yesterday but that wasn’t one of them.
I’m no fan of Hagi as a winger/wide player but he’s a much better passer of the ball than Sakala and seems to see that opportunity quicker than most.
That was what was needed.
Sakala big attribute, well one of them is his pace.
Where was he going to outpace an opponent yesterday?

You're right, we weren't very good. And ideed only won because of an arm.
Without our change in personnel/shape, that ball never gets squared from wide right.
We didn’t only win because of that.
That might have brought about the deciding goal but we were pressuring them a fair bit at that point and a mistake from them was likely.

We didn’t line up to ‘counter United’. He picked a side that would have been most effective against the expected line up, which didn’t materialise. He then changed it, after 3 minutes.

We didn’t only win because of that.
That might have brought about the deciding goal but we were pressuring them a fair bit at that point and a mistake from them was likely.
Wins are a function of goals scored. We only scored one goal, a pk from the arm to ball.

Wins are a function of goals scored. We only scored one goal, a pk from the arm to ball.
If you’re as black and white as that, there isn’t really much to debate with you about.
However, tell me you’ll never claim we should have won because we created the better chances, or the keeper had a stormer.
Tell me we deserved to lose the LC final to Celtic because they scored and we didn’t.

I'm glad he corrected it but it was an error. No matter if teams play 1 or 2 up top then Tav is never a centre back. He also got it wrong starting Kamara and Lundstrum. The good thing is he fixes it though

It's good that Gio made a quick change, and we adapted well.

Yip just as well Utd didn’t take any of they early chances particularly the one where the boy side footed it in to McGregors arms, turned into a scintillating performance after the minute 4 changes, had me on the edge of my seat.

The starting line up was wrong, the changes after 4 minutes were wrong, the use of only 2 subs again was wrong. Bringing on Aribo was unnecessary . 3 points aside I can’t think of one positive.

One of they days that Gio will have learned from.

mainly if Barisic isn’t fit it’s Bassey left back and if it has to be Simpson centre half so be it.

Thanks for this.
I think it may have been you whom I was quoting earlier in the thread, post nine.
Unfortunately, I erred in naming Barisic instead of Bassey and, not unusual for FF, this became the most important part of the post.
Got to be word perfect on FF, when it suits.

You certainly were not in the aim sight of that post of mine, mate.

Back