Tale of two halves - New Year day 1994 OF derby

I didn't have a ticket for this game, but I won a ticket in a boozer in town called fingals on Hogmanay afternoon,,only problem was it was for the main stand but hey ho,, ,anyway met up with mates in walkers in brigton before the game for a wee swally, then up the road I went full of trepidation, into the ground and trying my hardest to look inconspicuous in case anyone recognised me as not of their persuasion,, of course as we know the bears were 2 in no time, the mutants at this point were falling out with each other to the point ,one guy was trying to strangle another guy with his mentally challenged scarf, all the time I'm sitting there loving everything going on all around me,, I decided against going to the toilet at half time in case of recognition by a mentally challenged, the second half was a case keeping my trap shut and standing up when they stood and when they scored, stayed until about 5 minutes to go then joined the thousands of mentally challengeds heading for the exits,,a quick jog down to walkers then the party began,,,dont think I would do it again though

My favourite ever game. We had been in really poor form leading up to this game and I don’t think the Beggars had even lost a goal at home since Macari had taken over. A lot of them fancied their chances which disappeared in 3 glorious minutes. The explosion in our end for the opening goal really was quite something.

As an aside this was one of the famous ‘Bog Roll’ days. Track was absolutely covered in them pre kick off :D

Was fantastic looking towards the jungle after Kuznetsov scored. Only other time I've seen the tim end disappear so quick was the 2002 Scottish cup final.

It could have been any score that day. We totally took our foot of the gas after half time.

Was meant to go to a "do " in Queens park cafe after the game closed doors mixed company got a call to cancel before HT

The best quote of the day came from believe or not keevins'you could drive a Glasgow corporation double decker bus thru the celtic defence,'

Was at that game . We ran a bus that ran from the Petershill club with about 25 members or there abouts . Less than half of us had tickets but we all managed to get in .I had a ticket stub from the first game of the season at parkhead .Back then if the first old firm game ticket was yellow and white or orange and white then the second game was the opposite ,white /yellow or white /orange . Showing the stub of the ticket was enough to get by the cops and you were up to the turnstile .Gave the guy a fiver and i was through .There must have been thousands that got in that way . Had forgot that was day Ally Maxwell was attacked . Thanks for posting and the memories.:)

Who was co- commentator he didn’t think that McStay challenge on Mcoll
The best quote of the day came from believe or not keevins'you could drive a Glasgow corporation double decker bus thru the celtic defence,'

Was just going to ask who the co comm was when he said McStays challenge on Mcoll might not be a foul , true sending off lol .

Just to be sure .The commentator was Jock Brown his co commentator was billy mcneil . keevins probably made his comment on radio clyde . Dont ever remember keevins doing commentary on a tv broadcast.

I would have been 9, remember going to my grans on new years day and putting on the radio. My dad had told me not to bother as he expected us to lose. Stuck it on and heard we were 3 nil up, we couldn't believe it

i was there that day, lost a shoe at first goal and found it at the second !.
Your lucky i lost a few mates that day but found them back at the bus then onto the pub .Would have worked out cheaper if they'd just stayed lost :):)

My memories of that day is the t-shirt i bought outside Ibrox at the next home game, it had a picture of big Hateley on the front after he'd scored with the caption " Government health warning, this man can seriously damage the tims defense"

My memory is not getting a ticket after standing outside the Piggery for an hour and driving home hungover, freezing and scunnered.

And then the game started....:)

Missed the first two goals due to my greed for more drink in the old Ballochmyle, now the Calvay club of course.

Remember this game for its utter madness. When we went 3 up i could barely breathe for celebrating so much!! Absolutely brilliant day. Still got the commemorative t-shirt too. The t-shirt had pictures of newspaper cuttings about them chuckin mars bars at the directors box, and Hateley on the front! What a crazy, messed up awesome day that was! :D

Great wee story that and just as well he got that off duty taxi or he wouldnt be around to write it.
I remember this game well and after the third goal a guy beside up the back of the Janefiled end lit an orange flare, first time I ever saw one at a game in Scotland before and the whole Rangers end at the old scumhut lit up , it was amazing.

That was a good read, the game that day was just magnificent, it was utter bedlam when our 2nd goal went in, don’t ask me why but I’ve never seen a reaction like it, the old Rangers end at the Piggery was absolutely sensational.

Back