The first ever football international - played in Glasgow

Knew it was in Glasgow but didn't know exactly where until I done the Founders Trail. As @GodStruth says above, anywhere in the world the place would be recognised to a far greater extent. It's very disappointing that the football authorities and government here don't push the sporting history of the city and the country.

Not only there but the whole area at Hampden could be so much better. You have Hampden and the museum, then you have Lesser Hampden and Cathkin Park within a ten minute walk. The whole area is dripping in sporting history but you would hardly know.

Walk past it pretty much every day. If you didn't already know it's where this momentous event took place then you would still have almost no idea having walked right round it.

Seems crazy the first ever international football match took place in Partick yet I don't think there has ever been a football stadium of any sort in Partick.

Good article thanks for posting.

A question, perhaps for those involved with the Founders Trail. This article refers to WOSCC being in Hamilton Cresecent however today WOSCC is on Peel Street and is bounded by Burgh Hall Street and Fortrose Street.

Any Glasgow historians able to explain?

Edited to mention that I think both B H St & Fortrose Street both date from the same period.

Last edited:
Good article thanks for posting.

A question, perhaps for those involved with the Founders Trail. This article refers to WOSCC being in Hamilton Cresecent however today WOSCC is on Peel Street and is bounded by Burgh Hall Street and Fortrose Street.

Any Glasgow historians able to explain?
What is now Fortrose Street used to be called Hamilton Crescent. It wraps around the East and Northern boundaries of the cricket ground.

Thanks for that PB. Any idea what prompted the name change?
Dunno actually. Hyndland Primary School, which looks on to the cricket ground and even uses it for sports days and stuff, used to be called Hamilton Crescent Junior Secondary too.

Makes more sense it being called something Crescent given the arching shape of it versus a street which is usually straight.

Always remember the guys on the Founders Trail saying how poorly this ground and iconic first was poorly marked. If it was in England it would have investment and a museum dedicated.

It was annoying me. Partick has long had a dubious association with the highlands and around the same time there were a few streets changed name to match that of a town or village up north. Fordyce and Crathie being another two as well as Fortrose.

Knew it was in Glasgow but didn't know exactly where until I done the Founders Trail. As @GodStruth says above, anywhere in the world the place would be recognised to a far greater extent. It's very disappointing that the football authorities and government here don't push the sporting history of the city and the country.

Not only there but the whole area at Hampden could be so much better. You have Hampden and the museum, then you have Lesser Hampden and Cathkin Park within a ten minute walk. The whole area is dripping in sporting history but you would hardly know.
Also the site of the original Hampden in the area.

This historic match could certainly be commemorated in a more fitting manner. Perhaps the street name was changed to Fortrose Street to reflect the Higland connection mentioned earlier.

I went to the Club House for a ceilidh several years ago. I had a great time but not so sure about my dance partners.

A lot of street names in Govan were changed when Govan was incorporated into Glasgow because there was already a street of that name in Glasgow. My gran used to use the old Govan names sometimes. Its likely the same thing happened on the incorporation of Partick.

A lot of street names in Govan were changed when Govan was incorporated into Glasgow because there was already a street of that name in Glasgow. My gran used to use the old Govan names sometimes. Its likely the same thing happened on the incorporation of Partick.
This might sound daft but back in the day wasn't Partick part of Govan ?

No, not daft at all. Govan Parish previously extended across the river and several schools in the area have Govan Parish on the stonework. The afore-mentioned Hamilton Crescent Primary School is one example of this. I actually only found this out yesterday when walking past the school on a wee wander round the cricket ground.

No, not daft at all. Govan Parish previously extended across the river and several schools in the area have Govan Parish on the stonework. The afore-mentioned Hamilton Crescent Primary School is one example of this. I actually only found this out yesterday when walking past the school on a wee wander round the cricket ground.
I live in the west end near Fortrose Street (Hamilton Crescent). In the title deeds of my property, the Parish of Govan is mentioned.

The girls who went to Hyndland primary in the 50/60's went to Hamilton Crescent school if they failed the 11+. The school was a building on the east side of the cricket ground

Why isn’t it Scotland v England ?
Strange one and I don't have a definitive answer, but I'm guessing old fashioned etiquette? I know that in the USA, the tend to name the visiting side first i.e. if New York Cosmos were at home v Tampa Bay Rowdies, it would be listed as TBR v NY Cosmos. Yeah, a shot in the dark, but hey, the call the game sahker over there, so maybe they're just daftness? Short answer, ah'm no' sure!

Similar to The Founders Trail, it seems to be smaller groups and individuals that uncover the story.

There is a website called The Hampden Collection ran by a man called Graeme Brown who did a lot of work in discovering the site of the first Hampden at the Hampden Bowling Club.

The Hampden Collection organised an event at Hampden Park on Thursday 24th. The Scottish Football Museum and SFA reps were in attendance so they are collaborative but perhaps they could do more themselves?

Side point: I was in attendance at this event as I have supported Graeme through my own website and social media. I hope it is okay with admins I share my own content although I will say this doesn’t explain much about the event or the match. I do have some content planned for follow up: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Clbe_GHIR7-/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Last edited:
It was annoying me. Partick has long had a dubious association with the highlands and around the same time there were a few streets changed name to match that of a town or village up north. Fordyce and Crathie being another two as well as Fortrose.

It was only a few years ago that I discovered why quite a few of the streets in Glasgow had had their names changed over the years. I attended John Street Secondary School in Bridgeton yet the street it was located in is called Tullis Street. John Street in Glasgow is located right next to the City Chambers at George Square, which is nowhere bear Bridgeton. I didn't know that Bridgeton had once been a separate burgh and that the original name of Tullis Street has been John Street but it had to be changed when Bridgeton became part of the city of Glasgow. The same thing obviously happened all over the city as other burghs like Govan and Partick were co-opted into the city and street names were changed to avoid duplication. I am, however, aware of one case where there are two streets in Glasgow with the same name - ie, Gibson Street. One is located at Glasgow University and the other one is in the Calton next to the Barrowland. Are there any other examples of this in the city?

Partick was part of the parish of Govan but not the burgh. Partick and Govan were two separate burghs, both incorporated into Glasgow. I think the parish of Govan extended across the south side as well but I'm not sure of the exact boundaries

Partick was part of the parish of Govan but not the burgh. Partick and Govan were two separate burghs, both incorporated into Glasgow. I think the parish of Govan extended across the south side as well but I'm not sure of the exact boundaries
Yes Hyndland Primary school that is behind the cricket ground states burgh of Govan on the brickwork.

Yes Hyndland Primary school that is behind the cricket ground states burgh of Govan on the brickwork.
Hyndland Primary and the derelict one at the bottom of Byres Rd both say "Parish of Govan School Board" on the front facade. In fact they are both near identical buildings. Notre Dame Primary likewise has same wording is a bigger building.

Back