The history of Boghead Park, Dumbarton

35000 for a cup tie with Raith. Some tremendous games there in the early seventies.
I can still run off the side that won promotion and it was far better than the one that reached a SC semi.

Back in the sixties, it was a driech damp day, we were playing Dumbarton, and no wonder it was called Boghead it was a mud heap, terrible playing surface.

Dumbarton kit man testimonial 1995 -3-2 rangers all I remember is Durrant scoring after Dumbarton took the lead

Was there in January 1975. The pitch was indeed a bog as were some of the approaches from the train station. We won 5-1 in a proper oldschool environment.
Happy days.

My home town team and probably my 2nd team after Rangers (well I look out for their score)

My first game at the age of 5, about 1984 was at Boghead to see the Sons get beat 2-0 by Hearts. I used to go quite regularly in my early teens when Rangers were playing away.

The pitch at times was non playable at times and to think that it was used in a Hollywood film starring Robert Duval, Michael Keaton and Super which I played in an extra in the crowd. I’ve got a couple of friends who live in the wee estate that is there now.

Fond memories of boghead, one time away back in the early 90s Scotland were playing Holland in a friendly and Holland trained at Boghead and me and a few of my mates went down to watch and I got the autographs of Gullit, Frank Rijkaard and Bergkamp.

Last edited:
35000 for a cup tie with Raith. Some tremendous games there in the early seventies.
I can still run off the side that won promotion and it was far better than the one that reached a SC semi.

A few of the 72 team still get together a couple of times a year and take in a game in hospitality. Lawrie Williams visits. And a few were there for the hall of fame induction as part of Dumbarton's 150th anniversary.

I think I remember there was corrugated iron along the bears end.
Great times..70's
My first ever Rangers game away to Dumbarton at Boghead early to mid seventies and my clearest memory is of the ear splitting noise from the Rangers fans singing and thumping the corrugated iron.

I was at the Ted McMinn corner game and I also remember him squelching up the wing in the mud.

My wife's cousin stayed in the street that lead up to the ground and him and his neighbours were moaning about the increase in traffic after the houses were built on the site of Boghead.

Loved it as a kid, don’t think I ever paid to get in the ground was like a sieve ha ha . No segregation could run around the terracing like a running track :)

Played there in a cup final back in the day for one of the local boys clubs , happy memories , I thought it was a cracking park to be honest . Was also there at the game ted mcminn scored direct from the corner .

Tore my ACL v Clyde 18's when I was 16 on it landed after a header went to spin and my boot was stuck in the mud, it was a bog indeed.

January 1975 beat them 5-1 there strangely one of my fav games, they went to the piggery weeks later drawing 2-2 after being 2 down, all helped towards the title, stopping that lots first ten attempt.

My Papa players for Dumbarton in the 20s and 30s, he said the pitch was awful so they bought Vale of Levens and moved it from Milburn, after they played Rangers the RFC players were so complimentary about the pitch Rangers bought it and moved it to Ibrox with the Sins getting the Ibrox pitch in return.

Only time I've pulled a bird at the fitba, went with mates on their st mirren bus to a game at boghead and met a Dumbarton fan as we switched sides at half time. Winched the face off her like any 14 year old boy does lol
Mid late 80s I think

Back