Article The myths and the clamour for a Guard of Honour

mdingwall

Administrator
The myths and the clamour for a Guard of Honour

5zGh7tL.png

I’ve said before but I always thought this came about 2 years ago due to Sutton in his record column as just something else to be snide about. Then Lennon is getting asked about it in the press conference and taking the high ground (without a tone of irony) . Fast forward two year and he’s leaving his job to avoid it.

Funny how these things work out.

Police would not allow them to give us one at the piggery in 1976 on the monday after clinching it at tannadice on the saturday, celtic apparantly willing to do it but denied in case of trouble, apparantly.

I'm sure 99.9% of people on both sides would be quite happy if both teams just agreed that we don't do guards of honour in any scenario.

AS already stated by many people it's a load of guff anyway,

It is a load of nonsense, I wouldn't want to honour that mob for anything they might achieve. Consign these G of H things to the bin where they belong.

It's not something that should be forced on anyone. If any other club WANTS to do it then so be it but for it to be some made up "tradition" is a load of bollocks.

I for one, don't want a guard of honour from those filthy b*stards, I would never want our team to give the same back, leave well alone. I would however quite like our players to have a wee huddle when we beat them at their dump.

Been there...done that :))

Another mentally challenged made up nonsense. We should lead and never follow anything they come up with in their tiny minds.
Before we know it we’d be having a minutes applause another mentally challenged made up piece of shite as they can’t stop the ira singing wing from embarrassing them.

Another mentally challenged made up nonsense. We should lead and never follow anything they come up with in their tiny minds.
Before we know it we’d be having a minutes applause another mentally challenged made up piece of shite as they can’t stop the ira singing wing from embarrassing them.
We did have one for an all time Rangers great, Bobby Shearer. An utter disgrace.

And why did we have it? Because Jardine and Bain told lies and said the Shearer family wanted one, which was a pack of lies.

Truly shameful.

As far as I'm concerned we owe the Shearer family the honour their husband/dad/grandad deserves.

In football, no-one wants to applaud the opposition. In case no one has noticed, animosity plays a huge part in the game. To try and kid on thats not the case is the stupidest idea ever.

It may not have happened in the Scottish top flight but in August 1967 in the league game at Ibrox after Celtc won the European Cup the Rangers players formed a guard of honour and applauded the Celtic ( as they were known then ) players on to the pitch. The game itself finished 1-0 to Rangers.

Orjan Persson Loyal

In football, no-one wants to applaud the opposition. In case no one has noticed, animosity plays a huge part in the game. To try and kid on thats not the case is the stupidest idea ever.
It’s just hypocritical- but, then, we know who are masters at that.

I absolutely loathe things like Guards Of Honour. If I was a player I'd be embarrassed to walk through one.

Feel the same about this Manager Of The Month crap. Can only imagine what big Jock Wallace would have made of it.

This was something they tried to have done to try and humiliate us further, they were assisted in this by friends in the media.
Now as usual they are back peddling at a ridiculous rate.

wouldn’t want or expect such a thing to happen regardless.

It was used to rub our noses, humiliate and degrade us.We were expected for ever more to be playing second fiddle too them and be at best at top six side.
They never counted on the heartbeat and fight that was the Rangers support along with Dave King and the three bears.
So fvck the guard of honour.

I seem to recall hearing that we gave them a guard of honour in 1967 when they reached the European Cup final (not sure if we also did it after the final).

Personally I'm happy enough if they don't do it..

I dont particularly care if teams give us one. Including from them.
But i would have liked to seen Lennon try to explain why Celtic didnt give us one after saying he would. But i guess we will never know now

The only people I hear banging on about a Guard of Honour is the press trying to get a reaction, Parkhead and Celtic don't know the first thing about Honour, beating them will be reward enough and lifting the title at their place is just the icing on the cake. #55

Guard of honour from that mob? No thanks, we should have nothing to do with them. I would be very satisfied if we beat them calmly and efficiently, then ignored them at the final whistle while we celebrate.

The last time we did the huddle at Sharkheid did we not get fined if I recall correctly?
We have never done "the huddle" at sharkheid. In 1999 the SFA tried to claim we had done but the disciplinary committee was persuaded by Rangers representatives that our celebrations did not constitute "the huddle". Charge dismissed.

%^*& them all! They don't like us and we don't like them.. The champions flag at Ibrox for everyone to look at will do for me..

We have never done "the huddle" at sharkheid. In 1999 the SFA tried to claim we had done but the disciplinary committee was persuaded by Rangers representatives that our celebrations did not constitute "the huddle". Charge dismissed.
Strange how I remember it happening though?

Strange how I remember it happening though?
No, what you remember resembled "the huddle" and the eastenders complained about it and the SFA in the interests of the good name of Scottish football tried to pin a charge on us. What you and I saw was a group of players, management and staff gathering together in a circle and perfoming a rotation which owed more to being like an eightsome reel than "the huddle". Outcome of the disiplinary process was basically a GIRFUY eastenders and the SFA. :)) It may have looked like it was "the huddle" through their green tinted specs at the eastend and the SFA :))

It may not have happened in the Scottish top flight but in August 1967 in the league game at Ibrox after Celtc won the European Cup the Rangers players formed a guard of honour and applauded the Celtic ( as they were known then ) players on to the pitch. The game itself finished 1-0 to Rangers.

Orjan Persson Loyal
Don't think they did. I believe your memory is playing tricks.

Back