The Penalty

It should’ve been retaken.
Correct.

This is how far off the line the Scotland goalkeeper against Argentina when she saved the penalty in the woman’s World Cup in the summer. It was ordered as a retake.

nWknYvL.png

gfOTqRt.png

And here is Lurch today.

IzG0feL.png

3gVjC0x.png

I think the rule is a load of pish, but it’s the rule until it’s changed and Collum shat out of enforcing it. Or the linesman shat out of enforcing it, absolutely no point in him standing on the bye line.

Got to love the FF Mourinhos, a few weeks ago "Get Alfie on Pens, Tav is shit", today Alfie misses "Fu.ck sake Tavs a shitbag, he should never have let Alfie hit it", Gold medal Bandwagon jumpers!
Point being why put added pressure on Alfie who has yet to score against them.

Totally crazy and pressure was all on Alfie not Forster

Alfie for all is strengths, isn't a natural penalty taker. His contact is too scruffy, he's instinctive and he's not sanguine enough.

It was obvious to me that he wasn't scoring.

Today, I would have bet my house on Tav.

Ifs and buts and maybe"s though.

Point being why put added pressure on Alfie who has yet to score against them.

Totally crazy and pressure was all on Alfie not Forster

Tunr that around though, would the pressure have been any less on Tav (given his recent record) than on Morelos? End of the day, Morelos made an arse of it, simple as that. How many on here have been crying for a striker to take the penalties?

Morelos was having a shocker in front of goal. Whilst i desperately wanted to be wrong i knew he was missing it.

The red card wasn't even out and I said we weren't scoring.

Their goal completely took our confidence away.
I accepted we were not scoring at half time. My head went down I’m ashamed to say. All that pressure and not a stroke of luck. The writing was on the wall.

Tunr that around though, would the pressure have been any less on Tav (given his recent record) than on Morelos? End of the day, Morelos made an arse of it, simple as that. How many on here have been crying for a striker to take the penalties?
Valley I posted similar up the thread,still a huge ask to put Alfie who has not scored against them in that position .

His miss now adds even more pressure to clash at the piggery and we can't say it never affrltected him he was not really the same after it sadly :(

Agree with the posts about the keeper being too far off his line, but it really was a terrible pen. Not enough power and a nice height for Forster to save it.

Arfield has missed 2 out of 6 penalties in his senior career.

Kent has never taken a senior penalty.

Morelos was 1 miss in 4. Before today.:(

Tav should have taken it but, from the sound of things, the Manager relieved him of penalty duties.
I did say if not tav.... I would rather Tav took it than anyone

Over 5 hours now since the game finished and all I can think about is, we score that penalty we’d have won the cup!!!
That’s what it came down to, woeful penalty on a day that cried out for battering it right down the middle.
They didn’t win it!!! We lost it and gave them it

It was a dreadful penalty. The goalkeeper choose the correct way. He was off his line also however that's a moot point. Borna should be considered imo. Alfie had an off day in a sense today, however if he wants to be remembered for scoring high profile goals in Scotland then these are the games to go and do it.

This penalty miss is going to take a long time to get over,Tav's record was great and correct me if I'm wrong but the nerves for Tav kicked in when he missed next game after news of Fernando passing (Number 2 as well) I think that miss really got to Tav.

Like others on here I'm actually still in shock that officials actually gave Rangers a penalty

Who else wasn't confident?

If Tav has had any doubt the new penalty taker should have been chosen weeks ago. Morelos has never been the type to take a penalty he works on instinct.

A total joke to suddenly decide he takes them when you can see him getting more and more wound up.
Said before he took it that he was never scoring , he just never looked confident and looks like he actually can’t score against them for some reason.

This penalty miss is going to take a long time to get over,Tav's record was great and correct me if I'm wrong but the nerves for Tav kicked in when he missed next game after news of Fernando passing (Number 2 as well) I think that miss really got to Tav.

Like others on here I'm actually still in shock that officials actually gave Rangers a penalty

I suspect the article during the week unnerved him too and Gerrard didn't want to put any more pressure on him.

I suspect the article during the week unnerved him too and Gerrard didn't want to put any more pressure on him.

He’ll need to do the same for Alfie now because he’s about to be laughed at, ridiculed and berated from all angles, their scum fans, the rest of Scottish football, the media and sadly some of our own too.

Personally I just wished a tap in had fallen for him, an nice easy finish to get the monkey off his back and he could have relaxed, but at the same time you’ve got to score from 12 yards, albeit it’s a high pressure situation.

Here's how I think it went down. Tav saw, like the rest of us, that Alfie was a bit off the boil. In a split second he thinks. He gets this penalty, gets over his hoodoo with the poets, it will get his confidence up and he may slot in one or two more to put this tie to bed. Anyone thinking Tavernier shat it is delusional. The guy has sunk plenty under pressure. Anyone thinking it wasn't a last minute decision is also delusional, I don't give a monkeys what the manager says.

Knew he would miss it, he hit the penalty exactly like I've imagined he would strike a penalty.
He must surely have been banging them in at training.

I think Tav was giving it to morelos for the wrong reason, to me morelos needs and will eventually score against them in open play before taking such an important penalty which Tav should have taken! Perhaps a wee word from super Ally might help as he has been there and done it?

Gerrard's came out and said that it was his decision before the game to put Alfie on penalties, but I agree with your point - don't know if SG done that just to help him get his first goal, because if he had scored then more would of surely followed

Gerrard's came out and said that it was his decision before the game to put Alfie on penalties, but I agree with your point - don't know if SG done that just to help him get his first goal, because if he had scored then more would of surely followed

It is possible it put more pressure on him by given it to him but who knows? I think morelos needs to score from open play then bingo? Fabulous player and it will come!

My initial reaction was, "Oh God Tav's going to miss another". When I saw it was Alfie taking it, rather than relief, I felt even less confident.

In the cold light of day, Tav is clearly our best penalty taker. However, if he doesn't want the job then we need to find another. As much as I love Alfie its never going to be him.

Back