Official The Summer 2023 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Two reasonable (and certainly not amazing) scoring seasons in English League One and Ligue 2, with 3 seasons of dross in between.
I think those who have watched him play are impressed by his finishing/movement, he also has a bit of pace which we lack from strikers not named fashion. Jermaine Defoe was a fan of his finishing and took him under his wing coming through

The cream always rises to the top nearly all the time
Add in my m8 and his fellow group of supporters did not rate him to put it bluntly and various managers ditto would edge me in that direction.
Did he shine in the various European competitions he played with them and got pumped out of ?
Going by their results and number of goals conceded not really.
The comparison is him vs Goldson, in the much shorter space of time he’s been in Scotland his trophy haul is embarrassingly better than that of Goldson, even when we have faced weaker opposition in finals like Hibs in the league Cup Final Goldson failed to stand up and be counted. I don’t see a defence with CCV in it being breached 3 times by Hibs in a final at any time!! The ultimate proof is in the delivery of trophies as the success in football and Goldson has a very poor track record as a CH and a vice captain in that regard!

Actual events are a challenge to be “wrong”

I’ll listen when Carter Vickers and his cost about 4 x more defence breaks the records the defence Goldson was part of did.

Or when Carter Vickers makes a European Final with Celtic.

Till then…yeah it’s just your view that you’d rather back the work of a Celtic player over an excellent Rangers one.
I’ll always back an excellent Rangers player, Goldson isn’t that though. An excellent Rangers CH and vice captain doesn’t allow his defence to be skelped 3-1 against Hibs in a cup final. An excellent Rangers CH doesn’t just have just 2 trophies to show over a 5 year stint at the club, 20 opportunities to win and only 2 taken a 10% success rate!!

My expectations of an excellent Rangers CH differs to yours for sure but I’m fine with that.

I’ll always back an excellent Rangers player, Goldson isn’t that though. An excellent Rangers CH and vice captain doesn’t allow his defence to be skelped 3-1 against Hibs in a cup final. An excellent Rangers CH doesn’t just have just 2 trophies to show over a 5 year stint at the club, 20 opportunities to win and only 2 taken a 10% success rate!!

My expectations of an excellent Rangers CH differs to yours for sure but I’m fine with that.
Who is a excellent CH them? From what you have just written it’s a player that plays for the team winning trophies that season.

If we win the next 5 leagues and cup doubles would you say Goldson is an excellent CH then? But we get pumped in Europe every game and only play six times a season in Europe?

Goldson’s hasn’t won as much as he should have but that doesn’t stop him being a good player, with Herlander beside him he went a full season undefeated and holds the best defensive record in Scottish history.

Hibs was a cup semi and guys like Gough and were part of rangers teams beat 3-0 off hearts, partick thistle etc - just saying

Who is a excellent CH them? From what you have just written it’s a player that plays for the team winning trophies that season.

If we win the next 5 leagues and cup doubles would you say Goldson is an excellent CH then? But we get pumped in Europe every game and only play six times a season in Europe?

Goldson’s hasn’t won as much as he should have but that doesn’t stop him being a good player, with Herlander beside him he went a full season undefeated and holds the best defensive record in Scottish history.
Davie Weir was an excellent CH, Gough was an excellent CH, Alan McLaren, Terry Butcher, Boogie, Boumsong, Amo, to name a few that I’d say were excellent by Rangers standards in modern times.

No I’m not but it’s the criteria you laid out that somehow good rangers defenders aren’t part of teams that get beat 3-1 to Hibs
In pivotal moments like semi finals and finals, Goldson is part of a defence and a key consistent part I may add, who have repeatedly failed the club in our quest for trophies….he imho isn’t an excellent CH by Rangers standards and I personally don’t believe he is the best in the SPFL at present. I’m hopeful Beale signs 2 CH’s that do become the best CH in the SPFL!

Was John Greig an excellent captain, when celtic were doing 9 in a row and gubbing Rangers 3 times in a month at Ibrox?

Rangers won zero leagues, 2 Scottish Cups and 1 League Cup in 10 years, during that spell of Greg's captaincy.

Nobody would argue Greig wasn't a great Rangers captain and he was voted the Greatest Ever Ranger.

Your argument doesn't stack up.

Last edited:
In pivotal moments like semi finals and finals, Goldson is part of a defence and a key consistent part I may add, who have repeatedly failed the club in our quest for trophies….he imho isn’t an excellent CH by Rangers standards and I personally don’t believe he is the best in the SPFL at present. I’m hopeful Beale signs 2 CH’s that do become the best CH in the SPFL!
Couldn't disagree with you more. Without Connor the Tims would be skipping their way to twelve or thirteen in a row. Criminally undervalued within our support.

Is it a good option? Scored 9 goals in Ligue 2 if you take away pens.
hardly screams sign this man now!

When will people stop judging players based on their goals scored column on wikipedia?

He is a good footballer, and considering he's available on a free he's pretty much the ideal profile of striker we should be looking at as an "understudy" to our main man up front. BTW he's much closer in style to Alfredo Morelos as an all round striker, than someone like Colak who is only about goals.

Also think it's obvious that if you're a decent striker playing for Rangers the goals will come a lot more frequently than they would at about 99% of other clubs in world football. Knowing what Maja is like as a player I'm pretty confident he'd end up in that 10-20 goals a season range in our league, even taking into account the fact that he'll likely be seen as more of a 2nd choice/understudy up front.

If he can pitch in with double figures in goals, as well as be a far better all round footballer than someone like Sakala (which he is), then he's pretty much the ideal signing for us right now in trying to rebuild an entire squad.

When will people stop judging players based on their goals scored column on wikipedia?

He is a good footballer, and considering he's available on a free he's pretty much the ideal profile of striker we should be looking at as an "understudy" to our main man up front. BTW he's much closer in style to Alfredo Morelos as an all round striker, than someone like Colak who is only about goals.

Also think it's obvious that if you're a decent striker playing for Rangers the goals will come a lot more frequently than they would at about 99% of other clubs in world football. Knowing what Maja is like as a player I'm pretty confident he'd end up in that 10-20 goals a season range in our league, even taking into account the fact that he'll likely be seen as more of a 2nd choice/understudy up front.

If he can pitch in with double figures in goals, as well as be a far better all round footballer than someone like Sakala (which he is), then he's pretty much the ideal signing for us right now in trying to rebuild an entire squad.

Beale did say good strikers cost quite a bit of money and we're much very down the line with that so you would assume we'll be spending a significant fee on our first-choice striker for next season.

Hopefully. Need to remember that some players need time to settle. It's a hugely different league he plays in now.

This is a league where running your studs down a Rangers player's Achilles is just clever play to try and get a reaction. Also, zero protection for our players from the referees.
Pretty sure he’ll have experienced his fair share of dirty tackles playing football in Ecuador.

We are back in preseason in 28 days, when do you think he would get a break?

He can fly out from Turkey if needed to meet any players.
He is only aiming on one week holiday , said it himself , that to me isn’t right he is in a majorly demanding job and I would say he needs to get a proper break. Is there a winter break next season ?

Last edited:
I know zero about Maja outwith Defoe speaking well of him previously. But if he's of the standard required, then a free/low fee would be an excellent deal.

Seems to me that we're looking to go into next season with three strikers - Colak and a Bosman/low fee as cover and a main man coming in for a sizeable fee. Whether that's any of the many names we've seen mentioned we'll have to wait and see.

The comparison is him vs Goldson, in the much shorter space of time he’s been in Scotland his trophy haul is embarrassingly better than that of Goldson, even when we have faced weaker opposition in finals like Hibs in the league Cup Final Goldson failed to stand up and be counted. I don’t see a defence with CCV in it being breached 3 times by Hibs in a final at any time!! The ultimate proof is in the delivery of trophies as the success in football and Goldson has a very poor track record as a CH and a vice captain in that regard!
Oh my…

Oh no…

Was John Greig an excellent captain, when celtic were doing 9 in a row, and gubbing Rangers 3 times in a month at Ibrox?

Rangers won zero leagues, 2 Scottish Cups and 1 League Cup in 10 years, during Greg's captaincy.

Nobody would argue Greig wasn't a great Rangers captain and he was voted the Greatest Ever Ranger.

Your argument doesn't stack up.
Silly argument really, Greig was the captain when we won 2 trebles in 3 seasons and was captain of the team who won a European trophy.

I know zero about Maja outwith Defoe speaking well of him previously. But if he's of the standard required, then a free/low fee would be an excellent deal.

Seems to me that we're looking to go into next season with three strikers - Colak and a Bosman/low fee as cover and a main man coming in for a sizeable fee. Whether that's any of the many names we've seen mentioned we'll have to wait and see.
The biggest difference between us and them last season was making and taking chances.

If you gave us a glaring chance it was 50/50 whether we actually scored or not

If you gave them half a chance, the ball was in the back of the net

A striker is our number one priority, even if the majority of the budget goes on it.

The rest of the team is adequate enough, but I accept some areas can still be improved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back