This mentality nonsense

Surely you have seen it countless times when team's go down to 10 men it galvanise's them and have that seize mentality and the better team that has the extra man advantage somehow struggle especially against a team with something to defend and hold on to, they had everyone behind the ball most of the time, lumping it any where up the park, the one break away aside!! Doesn't just only happen to us or mean our team that gave everything out there are bottlers or weak mentality!! Just wasn't our day but we will have our soon no doubt about it!! We've come a long way from where we were and how we've played against that manky shower of jammy bastards!!

No Surrender!! RTID!!
No excuse for the collapse after the missed penalty , nor the midweek capitulation.
First OF game we lose a daft early goal , did we ever look like coming back ?
Take it back to last season , back from the winter break we should be buzzing , Worral makes a daft mistake we collapse
That’s a lack of mental toughness.

Last edited:
No, all teams can get poor decisions from officials, but as they say, usually they even themselves out.
I certainly haven't seen any sign of this in recent years concerning Rangers.
We can’t control that though, and if that was the sole reason for us losing out then fine we can’t do anything about it.

however officials don’t miss penalties or calamatously defend against Aberdeen

We still controlled the game after the penalty, we just didn't create as much because we were up against a packed defence that was defending a lead that they should never have had (which no doubt deflated us somewhat, as it would with any team on the planet). But even still, we should have had another penalty and there was Morelos' shot that whistled by the post.

In other circumstances, I can understand it, but taking today's game in isolation it boggles my mind that people are questioning the players' mentality. Our first shot of silverware against a good side in an extremely high-pressure match and we take the game by the scruff of the neck from the first minute, only to be undone by a cheating fücking official after 60 mins of domination.

Sorry, but I take umbrage with your idea of "controlling" the game: we passed the ball along the halfway line and looked lost for ideas. We had it purely on account of Celtic sitting in deep and defending a lead. I'd argue that Celtic were actually controlling the game at that stage in making us go long and forcing the ball to Barker and Barisic, who were crossing horrendously.

You've also not touched upon the very different set of pressures that an Old Firm final represents, and for many of those players it was too much.

We gave the Bheggars a pounding for 65 minutes in a final. Absolute weans on here.

We didn’t ‘disappear’ after the penalty miss. The substitutions affected shape. Barker was a man down for us. Should still have scored in the last 25 minutes.

‘Mentality like had %^*& all to do with it.

Spot on. The subs made us a bit disjointed to be honest but they had to be made. Plus we were up against a packed defense and they were time wasting at every opportunity to slow down the game.

Sorry, but I take umbrage with your idea of "controlling" the game: we passed the ball along the halfway line and looked lost for ideas. We had it purely on account of Celtic sitting in deep and defending a lead. I'd argue that Celtic were actually controlling the game at that stage in making us go long and forcing the ball to Barker and Barisic, who were crossing horrendously.

You've also not touched upon the very different set of pressures that an Old Firm final represents, and for many of those players it was too much.

Was it too much up until they were gifted a goal they didn't deserve from the officials?

I think we’re all just unbelievably pissed off that we let that shower of mhanky bastards pinch our cup today, ably assisted by a shitebag linesman scared his windows will get tanned for doing his job properly.

I was guilty of over reaction on here myself, earlier. I was just fucking raging. I hate those bastards. Felt like kicking the shite out of my TV

Anyway, I’ve calmed down now and there was a huge amount to be proud of today. All we need is an honest and competent official and a little more composure in front of goal and we’ll do those scum next time.

Why do you keep mentioning the fact that it was offside? It's nothing to do with the idea of mentality.

It was a turning point in the game that was out of our control – that's why I'm using it as a marker. You said our players aren't up for that sort of pressure, I'm asking if you think that first 60 odd minutes was the performance of a group of 11 players who can't handle the pressure.

We can’t control that though, and if that was the sole reason for us losing out then fine we can’t do anything about it.

however officials don’t miss penalties or calamatously defend against Aberdeen
The Aberdeen game was indeed a calamity of defending, however, decision wise, they got away with a player who should have been off the park by the 30-minute mark, if not in the opening minutes, and a penalty decision that was right in front of the referee.
What did we get away with?

Today, they got away with two penalties, scored a clear offside goal to go ahead, and managed to save a penalty with the goalkeeper gaining an illegal advantage.
What did we get away with?

I am sure that there is much we can do to become better, but if referee's and officials continue to deny you the marginal decisions in tight matches, then it can be difficult to win the more difficult games and probably silverware will, as a result, be that much more elusive.

It was a turning point in the game that was out of our control – that's why I'm using it as a marker. You said our players aren't up for that sort of pressure, I'm asking if you think that first 60 odd minutes was the performance of a group of 11 players who can't handle the pressure.

In that case just call it the goal. You didn't always have to refer to the fact that it was offside.

Generally I thought the first half represented a lot of huffing and puffing but no real quality. It felt like one of those games where we "dominate" but don't really do much with it. So it proved.

They have won the last 10 trophies out of 10. We have won %^*& all. Hardly laughable at all.

On 4-10x the budget of every other team up until this season. It wasn't a 'winning mentality' that got them over the line against the likes of Aberdeen, it was having far better players on far bigger wages under a far better manager that got them there.

Count the 10 TROPHIES!!! all you want, but this season is the first we've been able to patch our wounds and stand on our feet. They've won everything against no cünt up until today.

In that case just call it the goal. You didn't always have to refer to the fact that it was offside.

Generally I thought the first half represented a lot of huffing and puffing but no real quality. It felt like one of those games where we "dominate" but don't really do much with it. So it proved.

I do have to refer to the fact that it was offside because we ended up behind because we were cheated – not because of our 'mentality'.

The fact that you think we showed no quality is unbelievable.

They have won the last 10 trophies out of 10. We have won %^*& all. Hardly laughable at all.

They have had zero competition for the vast majority of that run. Today is literally the first cup they have won having beaten a good team. And won it via a goal that should not have stood.

If we had a strong mentality we wouldn’t have thrown away the match against YB. We wouldn’t have thrown away a 2 goal lead against a shit Aberdeen side. We also wouldn’t have folded at Ibrox against the scum and our players wouldn’t have been goal-shy today. In the last 5 years we have performed in perhaps 4 big domestic matches: SC Semi v Them, Aberdeen at Sherpdome & OF at Ibrox at NY last year and LC semi this year (debatable since Hearts were so weak). Apart from that, we’ve failed every single time when the pressure has been on. Twice at the piggery last year, at Killie last year, LC semi last year, OF at Ibrox this year, not to mention the humiliations against them the previous year.

We lose big domestic matches far more often than we should, often against inferior opposition which proves we DO have a mentality problem. But if it makes you feel better to blame officials (which is an issue but not the whole story) and “bad luck” rather than face reality and demand improvement then knock yourself out.

Last edited:
I do have to refer to the fact that it was offside because we ended up behind because we were cheated – not because of our 'mentality'.

The fact that you think we showed no quality is unbelievable.

And the fact that we failed to respond to that offside goal is a sign of a weak mentality. I'd argue the pish poor way we defending the "goal" was the sign of a weak mentality as well.

I also didn't say that we didn't show any quality, but you know this already.

If we had a strong mentality we wouldn’t have thrown away the match against YB. We wouldn’t have thrown away a 2 goal lead against a shit Aberdeen side. We also wouldn’t have folded at Ibrox against the scum and our players wouldn’t have been goal-shy today. In the last 5 years we have performed in perhaps 4 big domestic matches: SC Semi v Them, Aberdeen at Sherpdome & OF at Ibrox at NY last year and LC semi this year (debatable since Hearts were so weak). Apart from that, we’ve failed every single time when the pressure has been on. Twice at the piggery last year, at Killie last year, LC semi last year, OF at Ibrox last year, not to mention the humiliations against them the previous year.

We lose big domestic matches far more often than we should, often against inferior opposition which proves we DO have a mentality problem. But if it makes you feel better to blame officials (which is an issue but not the whole story) and “bad luck” rather than face reality and demand improvement then knock yourself out.

Pretty damning when you look at it like that.

That's actually the best post of the entire night.

And the fact that we failed to respond to that offside goal is a sign of a weak mentality. I'd argue the pish poor way we defending the "goal" was the sign of a weak mentality as well.

I also didn't say that we didn't show any quality, but you know this already.

Sorry, "no real quality", not entirely sure what the difference is. Still, I repeat, it's unbelievable that you think we showed "no real quality" in the first half – the quality play from our defenders and midfielders rendered 6 of their players virtually non-existent.

I'm starting to wonder if you even know what mentality means. How the fück is losing a goal in which 3 players were clearly offside with a 2-yard headstart a sign of weak mentality? o_O

Sorry, but until we get a trophy there will rightly be questions marks about this squads ability to win at the crunch.

You would have to be mad not to see the clear progress we have made in Gerrard’s time as manager, but until that final hurdle is conquered doubts will linger .

Sorry, "no real quality", not entirely sure what the difference is. Still, I repeat, it's unbelievable that you think we showed "no real quality" in the first half – the quality play from our defenders and midfielders rendered 6 of their players virtually non-existent.

I'm starting to wonder if you even know what mentality means. How the fück is losing a goal in which 3 players were clearly offside with a 2-yard headstart a sign of weak mentality? o_O

The quality we showed in the first half was a long-range effort from Jack and three shots straight at the keeper from Morelos. Celtic looked very average; how much of that was them and how much is is debatable.

We defended the free kick horrendously, even if it was offside. It could be added to anyone of our defending howlers this season.

The immediate test of the players mentality is YB, then the challenge of winning all league games to the break. Mentality didn't lose that game today it was poor finishing and not having a tactical clue of how to unlock a packed defence. Coaching staff need to work on that, it's a glaring problem for us.

ram it up your arse. Its an easy excuse

If we had a weak mentality we don't come back from defeat in Porto and Feyenoord.

we don't come back from a goal down v Motherwell

we don't Score late on v St Mirren

we don't come back from a first half pounding v porto at Ibrox to win.

Celtic are a very good team . As are we. We have come a long way in a short period and were only beaten today by a terrible decision by the officials.

We are playing under a born winner in Gerrard, Not Mark do plan a better warburton.

two years ago we were getting beat 3-1 at home to St Johnstone. that's weak mantaility.

its a process and we will catch them. we have our faults but mentality isn't one of them.
Its just the latest from the brain donors on here. The new 'heart of a mouse'.

See also: "never a captain"; "I'll drive (player) to the airport"; "I'd rather play shite and win than play well and lose" (that gets trotted out after games like today, but you look at Killie and St Mirren games earlier in the season and the same idiots who claim this were going off their nut about how it wasn't good enough, we're Rangers etc).

The quality we showed in the first half was a long-range effort from Jack and three shots straight at the keeper from Morelos. Celtic looked very average; how much of that was them and how much is is debatable.

We defended the free kick horrendously, even if it was offside. It could be added to anyone of our defending howlers this season.

Just want to make sure I'm understanding you:
  • 'Quality' is only quality if it pertains to shots – passing, tackling, defending, pressing, dribbling etc. don't count as 'quality'.
  • A goal conceded from a cross in which 3 Celtc players were handed a 2-yard handicap was a defensive howler.
  • Us dominating almost an entire 90 mins and winning pretty much all of our individual battles resulting in 10 more corners, 11 more shots and 6 more shots on target (reducing them to zero legitimate shots on target for an entire 90) and you're not convinced that was down to our good play?

Have you just started watching football recently?

Laughable. Where was this 'winners mentality' when they were getting comfortably beaten by Livingston? It is a nonsensical argument.

ffs a winning mentality doesn’t mean you win every game! When Souness built his Rangers side he talked about players with a winning mentality, Butcher, Gough, Hateley, Wilkins etc. His Rangers side and Fergies Man Utd sides had a mental toughness needed when things go against you, when you go a goal down, a man down etc.

I think it has to do with the reaction to missing the penalty and them going down to 10 men.

Tbh, I can see where it’s coming from. We looked beat the second the penalty was missed and the heads went down. We didn’t ask many questions after that.

Couple that with Wednesday at the sheep and there are question marks over mentality.

Domestically, we have a terrible habit of not winning the games that really matter.

Agree, this mentality pish gets too much oxygen. If Celtic were so tough mentally they wouldn’t have conceded the volume of chances they did, you don’t concede that volume of clear chances and claim you ground it out. %^*& all to do with mentality today. A goalkeeper who had his best day, a linesman who had his worst, every break of the ball going their way and Alfie being so desperate to score he lost his composure in front of goal.

That said, they do seem to have more different ways of winning games than we do at the moment I.e. we seem to dominate every game we play but that on its own doesn’t always guarantee we win.

Now more than ever the crowd needs to stay with the team and lift them.
Answering your own points their

If we had a weak mentality we don't come back from defeat in Porto and Feyenoord.

Celtic are a very good team . As are we. We have come a long way in a short period and were only beaten today by a terrible decision by the officials.

We are playing under a born winner in Gerrard, Not Mark do plan a better warburton.

two years ago we were getting beat 3-1 at home to St Johnstone. that's weak mantaility.

its a process and we will catch them. we have our faults but mentality isn't one of them.

Brilliant post! I’ve stayed off here today for obvious reasons, but to a man we were better than them and on another day that could have been a tanking.

Be patient bears! #55 is close

That's twice this season we've pummelled them and done everything but score and twice we've been hit by a sucker punch. It wasn't so long ago we were 2-1 and a man up at home to them and still contrived to lose. The game at the piggery last season when Alfie got the red card. Kent equalises, we play them off the park but we still lose. How many times do we have to pummel them and still lose before we recognise that Neil Lennon, as much as I detest saying this, is their Walter Smith to Gerrard's Tommy Burns? Yes it's good to see us play the football and create chances but I'd much rather win ugly at this point.

Then there's the sheep game in midweek. We all acknowledged this was a massive week for us. Biggest in years. Well refereeing decisions have cost us in both games so far but we have also thrown it away in both games. When it has really come to the crunch, in a huge week for us, we've played some great football, totally dominated both games, yet what do we have to show for it? 1 point and a losers medal.

So yes, there's a mentality issue. It's ok sticking 5 past hearts and the like, and I know we've won games this season we would have dropped points in last season, but we all saw the fixture list in June and identified December as a make or break month. So far it most certainly hasn't been the making of us, has it? We all recognised the importance of winning the LC to set a marker for the rest of the domestic season. Instead those bastards have hit us with the sucker punch again. The kind we used to regularly inflict on them in the 9iar era.

We’re not expected to win in Europe, and a Europa league group game also doesn’t bring about the same pressures as a cup final where we’re trying to break their extreme dominance.

How anyone can look at the state of the performance after the penalty and not conclude that we have a serious issue with mentality is beyond me. We never looked like levelling it up and we sure as hell didn’t look like winning it from that point.
The whole game changed after that.
The space we got and utilised fairly well disappeared.
There is no doubt we ran out of creativity but this “mentality” thing is just the latest smarty pants situation made up and used as a stick to beat the team with.

Brilliant post! I’ve stayed off here today for obvious reasons, but to a man we were better than them and on another day that could have been a tanking.

Be patient bears! #55 is close
On another day, yes. Another day when there isn't so much at stake, like the post split fixture at Ibrox in May when we murdered them and they were lucky it was only 2-0, but the league was already gone by then.

This club has gone far too long without silverware and the longer it goes on the harder it will be to break that duck.

I just don’t agree at all. They have one over us just now mentally. Like we did over them in the 90’s.

They believe they will win whatever happens. We don’t. Unfortunately the only way to do that is to beat them consistently which is not easy. It’s coming though.

I cannot believe we lost today. I still can’t.

The whole game changed after that.
The space we got and utilised fairly well disappeared.
There is no doubt we ran out of creativity but this “mentality” thing is just the latest smarty pants situation made up and used as a stick to beat the team with.

But then what is it? A massive coincidence that when the chips are down in crunch games we struggle badly?

Some serious denial here, and believing it’s not an issue will only lead to further disappointment.

But then what is it? A massive coincidence that when the chips are down in crunch games we struggle badly?

Some serious denial here, and believing it’s not an issue will only lead to further disappointment.
To me, that’s only because we are selective with what a big game is.
In reality, the games against Porto and Feyenoord are every bit as big.
Also, there are situations in games against lesser opposition where, in the circumstances at that time, you wouldn’t be coming out of it with a positive result if you didn't have that extra bit of determination.
For example, losing the late equaliser at Kilmarnock but still getting a winner.

In Europe the pressure is off. The games are effectively bonus matches, there’s not the same expectation and teams don’t setup like they do domestically.

The mental toughness of this squad is absolutely piss poor and until that changes (potentially very slowly) then days like today will continue

Best post i have read today.

Reason and rational thinking goes out the window for a lot of fans after a defeat to them.

What comes is anger and scapegoating of players.

18 months ago we got pumped 4/0 at hampden now that was a team of mental weaklings.

Today were were playing a team thats won 10 trophies in a row and wage bill 3 times the size of ours.

We totally dominated them yes defeat hurts but wee need look at it with some perspective.

We have a good team now still lots to play for
I agree there’s loads to play for but there’s no evidence to suggest we’ll win anything this year.

I can honestly see us getting past Young Boys, SG jumping about the touch line and dining out on that for the rest of the season whilst that lot cruise to another treble. Sorry, that’s not good enough.

I agree there’s loads to play for but there’s no evidence to suggest we’ll win anything this year.

I can honestly see us getting past Young Boys, SG jumping about the touch line and dining out on that for the rest of the season whilst that lot cruise to another treble. Sorry, that’s not good enough.

“Sorry, that’s not good enough.”

Aye hawd on a minute ffs, it’s only December.

To me, that’s only because we are selective with what a big game is.
In reality, the games against Porto and Feyenoord are every bit as big.
Also, there are situations in games against lesser opposition where, in the circumstances at that time, you wouldn’t be coming out of it with a positive result if you didn't have that extra bit of determination.
For example, losing the late equaliser at Kilmarnock but still getting a winner.

Afraid not. Goes back to what I said earlier, we’re not expected to win those games, anyone who says they expect us to beat Feyenoord and Porto is kidding themselves. And again those are group stages Europa league matches, absolutely nowhere near the pressure of an OF final and the chance to break their dominance and win our first bit of major silverware in about 8 years.

There’s an issue with mentality, it was clear as day by how inept we were after the penalty miss despite the man advantage. There’s serious denial going on here. The toughest domestic games we’ve had this season (realistically we’re expecting a win in every domestic game we go into) are Celtic at home, Aberdeen away, and Celtic today, traditionally and logically. How have those 3 games gone? And after answering that, ask yourself if that’s just a massive coincidence, nah, come on it’s time to be honest and stop kidding ourselves, that’s what they did in the 90’s and I’d like to think we won’t stoop to that level of delusion.

Afraid not. Goes back to what I said earlier, we’re not expected to win those games, anyone who says they expect us to beat Feyenoord and Porto is kidding themselves. And again those are group stages Europa league matches, absolutely nowhere near the pressure of an OF final and the chance to break their dominance and win our first bit of major silverware in about 8 years.

There’s an issue with mentality, it was clear as day by how inept we were after the penalty miss despite the man advantage. There’s serious denial going on here. The toughest domestic games we’ve had this season (realistically we’re expecting a win in every domestic game we go into) are Celtic at home, Aberdeen away, and Celtic today, traditionally and logically. How have those 3 games gone? And after answering that, ask yourself if that’s just a massive coincidence, nah, come on it’s time to be honest and stop kidding ourselves, that’s what they did in the 90’s and I’d like to think we won’t stoop to that level of delusion.
Serious denial on and off the park I suspect.

I’ll leave you to your honesty mate, I have a different honesty.

Back