UEFA cup final V Europa cup

WBD

Official Ticketer
Do we need to reach the Europa cup final to attain the level of UEFA cup final? Has the competition level increased? I think it has

Do we need to reach the Europa cup final to attain the level of UEFA cup final? Has the competition level increased? I think it has

It has but let's not forget the year we made the final we drew with Barcelona, beat the German champions and the French champions in the CL before eliminating top sides in Panathinaikos, a top German side (Bremen), Sporting and one of the biggest Italian sides in a competition where Bayern Munich fell at the semi final stage.

That was a European campaign that we'd need to reach the Europa League Final to match and even then it may not be enough whether the competition has improved overall or not.

It has but let's not forget the year we made the final we drew with Barcelona, beat the German champions and the French champions in the CL before eliminating top sides in Panathinaikos, a top German side (Bremen), Sporting and one of the biggest Italian sides in a competition where Bayern Munich fell at the semi final stage.

That was a European campaign that we'd need to reach the Europa League Final to match and even then it may not be enough whether the competition has improved overall or not.
Yea we eliminated very powerfull opponents : Werder Bremen (comparable to Borusia now) , Sporting Lisbon ; win against Stuttgart in CL group stage (actual german champion then).....

Yea we eliminated very powerfull opponents : Werder Bremen (comparable to Borusia now) , Sporting Lisbon ; win against Stuttgart in CL group stage (actual german champion then).....

That Stuttgart side was top drawer, criminally underrated side.

100 % agree. Reigning german champion Stuttgart , full of a lot of quality players.

Definitely, but not only Stuttgart,

Werder Bremen as well. Very, very strong side. Top german club.

Last edited:
It’s the same competition, just with a different name. UEFA’s 2nd competition.

If we carry on playing as we are now, I think reaching the final might just pip 2008 - we’re not so defensive this time around, and with the likes of Kent/Morelos, are terrifying defences in a way we didn’t quite back then.

Reactions: WBD
It's a lot better on the eye anyway, some of those games in 2008 had me hiding behind the sofa.

I think so too. Football in general has improved over that time.

Look at some of the teams who are left in the EL.

Monaco
Porto
Lyon
Atalanta
Leverkusen
Sevilla
Barcelona
Leipzig
Spartak

All of them are regulars in the Champions League.

Reactions: WBD
It was similiar before

Werder Bremen, Munich,
Olympique de Marseille , Sporting Lisbon,
Glasgow Rangers :) , Benfica etc.....

It’s the same competition, just with a different name. UEFA’s 2nd competition.
Yes, it is.

But the history is a little more complex. UEFA’s 2nd competition used to be the European Cup Winners Cup. Until its abolition in 1999, the winners of that competition played the European Cup/Champions League winners in the Super Cup. To be fair, in the latter years of the ECWC, the UEFA Cup was held in higher regard, due to the depth of competition.

The Europa League is really just a change of format to the UEFA Cup, mirroring the change in format from the European Cup to the Champions League.

The extent to which it may, arguably, be considered more competitive now, is little more than a reflection of rising standards in football generally (again, arguable). The only real difference is teams dropping down from the CL.

Yes, it is.

But the history is a little more complex. UEFA’s 2nd competition used to be the European Cup Winners Cup. Until its abolition in 1999, the winners of that competition played the European Cup/Champions League winners in the Super Cup. To be fair, in the latter years of the ECWC, the UEFA Cup was held in higher regard, due to the depth of competition.

The Europa League is really just a change of format to the UEFA Cup, mirroring the change in format from the European Cup to the Champions League.

The extent to which it may, arguably, be considered more competitive now, is little more than a reflection of rising standards in football generally (again, arguable). The only real difference is teams dropping down from the CL.
Great post mate. Some fantastic points! And I genuinely didn’t know that about the ECWC.

Back