Warburton speaks to Jackson

The capitulation at tynecastle late on in his reign summed up the weak team he had built. He was out of his depth after winning promotion, although his shortcomings as a manager were still evident with some of the farcical goals that were conceded in that first season.

Warburton was completely out of his depth up here. I have no doubt he would make a good Academy coach but he just could not handle the pressure.

Looking at his managerial career, he did well at a small club with no great expectations, but has struggled at bigger clubs with much bigger goals.

He was a very limited manager who is unlikely to ever find a job as big as either Rangers or Forest again.

Warburton did a good job for us at the stage we were at. It was unrealistic of him and us to expect much more than he delivered. It all started to go wrong with the recruitment just before our first season back in the premier league. I think he says lots of positive things about Rangers here. Let bygones be bygones I say. He is perhaps a bit of a dud but he’s our dud!

I think he was glad to get away from it and is probably happier now
Had he stayed a few more years then he might have got a gig as a pundit which would probably suit him better
I do think he has something to offer the game but probably not as a manager
Built a Championship winning team in a very short space of time for not much money.
His first game against Hibs was a big eye opener and it took me too long to see the flaws after that
Resurrected McKay, bought Waghorn, whose just gone for 5m, for a pittance, likewise Tav and Wes who should get decent fees for us and Windass who just did. The only money he really wasted was Garner
Seems to have an eye for a player
At the start of his tenure we all bought into him. He had a great transfer window for next to nothing and won the championship at a canter. Beat a few spl sides and Celtic in cup games.
His downfall was the step up and he clearly wasn't cut out for it when the going got tough.
He was an upgrade on McCoist which wouldn't have been hard at the time.

So, Warburton has a go at certain people in the media twisting words. Keith goes and proves the point by repeating the world against us lie. Good job Keith, bell end.

This. Warburton is talking about the laughably amateurish mhedia who try to hide their lack of journalism skills by regurgitating sensationalist nonsense and hyperbole to stoke up the mutual, and natural, dislike and disrespect.
Fray Bentos face has tried to cobble together a hatchet piece on Gerrard and, as usual, failed.
Journalism, my arse.

You could have condensed that article into 'I couldn't handle the pressure at Rangers'

He sadly didn't understand what our club means to us

Proof that he wasn't cut out for the job .
Could you imagine Walter giving such a limp wristed interview ?.
Thanks for the good times Mark, but we're in a far better place now without you and your two fellow charlatans.

Jackson obviously wanted a story of how King stabbed the manager in the back and lied about it all. Looks like he never got it.

Wonder if he has a Plan B...

:rolleyes:

So Celtic are in a very tricky situation with infighting between the board and manager and a potential Champions League exit. What does Jackson write about? A former Rangers manager who we moved on from three managers ago and tries a wee dig at King in the story. I actually feel embarrassed for old corn beef chops now.
The big story at the moment is Rodgers infighting with his own board but as you say Jackson comes out with this tame rubbish.
He probably hoped Warburton would have been more scathing towards us but once again his agenda driven nonsense fails to live up to the billing he himself puts on it.
Once again Jackson and the comic book he works for point blankly refuse to write about thr real relevant stories of the day particularly when the beasts from the east are involved.

he didnt realise there was an old firm game on? bit poor footballing knowledge that for a professional manager that id say. especially after leaving the club so soon
Nor did Sir David of Weir apparently :(

What a disappointment he proved to be.

most of it reads like it was fabricated, Keech didn't get the King story he wanted so they finished off about paranoia because they are still wanting to say that Gerrard has lost it because he called out refs legit about a football game

The whole interview reeks of ‘I was a sophisticated Londoner who was above Glasgow and all its lunacy.’
Fair enough, Mark, but what’s your excuse for failing at Nottingham Forrest?
They were too middle class?

I liked Warburton but grew tired of his interviews where he continually spoke about the theory of football and forgot about the passsion involved. He knew exactly how he wanted his team to play but sadly a goalkeeper throwing a ball to a £100k defender with two big strikers running at him was never ending well. Don’t throw a cross into the box it will be 50/50 you win it, thats right 50% chance you win the header and score , 50% chance the defender heads it away and you get the chance to build again.

At first I quite liked the man. He brought in a fresh team who, could win games at Championship level and get us promoted. The problem was he was out his depth in the Prem. It was like he was just making it up as he went along. No vision.
But, put his exit shambles to one side. I think he was better manager than Pedro.
I think most people on here would be a better manager than Pedro

The Old Firm semi is a hugely significant moment in our recent history and his early signings were at times inspired. All of that is overwhelmed by his stubborn adherence to 4-3-3/sterile possession borne out of a drab statistical understanding of football, his increasingly bizarre signings as time went on, and
his disgraceful behaviour at the end of his time here.

“I mean, it’s not as if we don’t have rivalries down here. My first game for Forest was against Derby and there’s a rivalry between them.

“But it’s not the same as in Scotland. They make such a big thing out of it up there. They almost revel in it.

“The biggest difference was probably the rhetoric that was used. The choice of wording, the vocabulary, the level of hate. It’s just a different environment.

“The build-up to big games was something I found difficult to understand. It’s almost like they want this war footing.

“Maybe there is a difference in the level of passion. They are the ingredients you have up there. The rhetoric, the passion and the emotion of it all. Maybe that takes a bit of getting used to."

But this quote sums up why he could never make it work. A spreadsheets man who couldn't grasp the human element of what makes us special, something that Steven understands implicitly. His career since leaving us shows him up as a fundamentally limited and unimpressive manager.

Warburton did a good job for us at the stage we were at. It was unrealistic of him and us to expect much more than he delivered. It all started to go wrong with the recruitment just before our first season back in the premier league. I think he says lots of positive things about Rangers here. Let bygones be bygones I say. He is perhaps a bit of a dud but he’s our dud!

There’s a fairness in that.

His achievements with Brentford were quite impressive and the feeling was that he was an up-and-coming progressive manager worth gambling on.

I don’t really hold his appointment against the board in the same way I do Pedro’s.

Ultimately though his limitations were exposed quite early on.

As others have said, he’d make a good academy director or even a no.2, but he was way out of his depth at a club with expectations as big as ours.

Quite plainly, Jackson realises he's getting nothing out of Gerrard so decides to return to a known, easier target to get what he wants, and managed to shoe-horn in a snide reference to Gerrard along the way.

And this is supposed to pass for top-class journalism in 2018 Scotland? :D

The guy just didn’t have the mentality to win at the proper stage up here.

All this “oh well, we’ll do better next time” mollycoddling pish will never be welcomed.

There’s a fairness in that.

His achievements with Brentford were quite impressive and the feeling was that he was an up-and-coming progressive manager worth gambling on.

I don’t really hold his appointment against the board in the same way I do Pedro’s.

Ultimately though his limitations were exposed quite early on.

As others have said, he’d make a good academy director or even a no.2, but he was way out of his depth at a club with expectations as big as ours.

I don't regret the board appointing him. We were crying out for something different and for a while it worked and looked promising.

Given the chance again I'd still take him over Stuart McCall and the likes in that situation.

Bloody hell, what an image in that first paragraph :D

As for the second paragraph - you're spot on. The game where it all came to a head was a midweek match at Ibrox in late October 2016 v St Johnstone. Two things happened that night

1. We lost a goal to a defensive mistake from us (This time Hodson)
2. Joey Garner actually broke the habit of a lifetime and scored by doing the one thing he was actually good at. Sticking the nut on something.

Second half every time Wes got the ball, St Johnstone basically pushed up and man marked our entire back four and Halliday so that he had no one to play the ball short to. You could actually see the level of panic appear on his face "What do I do now ?" as if the thought never occurred to him to punt it long. They did this every single time and we were clueless on how to react. He was holding on the ball longer and longer every time as he looked to the bench for guidance as the stands at Ibrox howled at him to boot the fúcking thing up the park.

I knew there and then we had officially ran out of ideas.

His time was up after that. A more experienced manager with less rigidity and more fight would have sorted it.

Warburton always struck me as a Sky Sports connoisseur who had fallen in love with watching Barcelona and wanted his own teams to play like that with little idea about how to actually pull it off.

At least now we have a manager that gets it. That article reads as someone who doesn't have the mentality to manage a huge club.

Got to be honest, now that time has passed I’m no longer bitter towards Warburton and how it ended

I’ve no doubt he was plotting an escape route as it was inevitable he’d be leaving whether by his own accord or sacked

But when you look at things, sure he signed some pish but Windass just made us £2.5m, Waghorn £750k including the sell on clause and if Tav eventually leaves I’ve no doubt we’ll make a good few million on him

If only he had a plan B then he might have worked out a bit better

That said, he’s never said a bad word about the club or the fans. Very complimentary infact. I hold no grudges
We've had to pay up quite a lot of contracts though. Some are still at the club that we can't get rid of. We lost over 1m in the joey Garner transfers. Barton, Nick and senderdross didn't contribute much but we're all well paid.

Back