We need to sign a proper striker

I agree to some extended RE; management (use of substitutions yesterday as an example) but it’s not on Gerrard that Morelos is missing a sitter from 2 yards.

We bought Itten and didn’t play to his strengths. £2.7m on a striker who we ship out on loan a year letter is poor business.
I did think it was a strange game to replace wright with bacuna. We lost a lot of pace and guile upfront. Something I feel sakala could have Brought to the game

He was done last season it's why he was phased out. We should never have came into this season with him registered as a player still.
He had a goal ever 90 minutes last season tbf

Would still have happily taken him up top yesterday

Has to be the number goal in January. Need to stop just bolstering the squad. We should sell 3 squad players and invest in a better goal scorer.

Sell
Barker
Simpson
Wright

Buy a number 9
Don’t think we’ll be able to sell any of them mate bar maybe Wright but I’m not sure I’d be selling him anyway.

Probably get a combined couple hundred thousand for Barker and Simpson if that

In previous seasons European form has bailed Gerrard out which isn’t happening this year but then again the board didn’t back him in the summer…..
The board didn’t back him? They let him keep a squad that just won the title by 25 points and went unbeaten without selling any of our top players. It’s not the boards fault that the team seem to have regressed. That’s on the manager.

His comments after the Prague game were laughable, blaming lack of funds. It wasn’t lack of funds that couldn’t beat Malmö or Prague and struggled past the might of Alashkert. This is a team that topped our group with Benfica in it only last season with all the same players.

People say we never received bids. If we wanted to sell a couple of players we could have easily let it be known to clubs who we would be willing to sell and then got some money in. They also knocked back a big bid for a 19 year old that hasn’t played many first team games.

It is a discussion board and by saying his European record has bailed him out youre basically saying Gerrard hasn't done anything domestically? Does a title win not count?
I would say you could look at certain factors and either ignore them or be truthful and realistic about them.

His subs have always baffled me

His selections baffle me

His signings have baffled me

He hasn’t won a domestic cup trophy

The rest is ifs and buts

Who is going to buy the above players and what price would we get for them to fund this striker given the finances of the club?

The question really should be how have we not improved the finishing of Morelos in his years at the club? What striking coaching has he been getting? What is defoe coaching?

Defoe is a "legend". Ask Donna.

Who is letting go of goal scoring number 9’s in January?

They’re arguably a dying breed anyway, and January seems a bad time to try and find one within our budget.

As much as I agree that we need a proven goal scorer, i do believe Roofe and Sakala are more than capable. Some of the service into our strikers is also questionable at times.
What has Sakala done to be labelled "more than capable"?

Eddie Nketiah on a pre contract in January or Josh Maja looks like he may be available on a loan to buy type deal
Two players who would be great value, if we can sell Morelos I’d look to bring both in. Would push sakala and roofe to be more of a wide forward in our team which would suit them imo.

What has Sakala done to be labelled "more than capable"?
I certainly wouldn’t have him down as looking more than capable, but I would have him down as deserving a run in the team.

Posted yesterday after the match, we lacked any sort of pace or movement in behind - he would at least give us that.

He’s looked raw so far, but also looks a threat when he plays, Lundstram should teach us to give guys a chance and a run in team before writing them off.

Antonio Colak, Croatian striker currently on loan at Malmo from PAOK. Looked superb against us and had a decent record at Rijeka in Croatia before PAOK signed him. 20 games and 11 goals so far this season.

I’m a bit pissed off with the criticisms of Morelos, for me it’s the patterns of play and the speed of our attack that’s the real problem plus the fact nobody in our midfield is prepared to run with the ball and try to break through the opposition’s lines, KAMARA is the worst offender for it, he’s taking the easy option every time and just makes an easy pass.

I think there’s too much side to side passing and getting the ball out to the wide areas and all too often at a snails pace which allows the opposition to have all their players back in defensive position and we’re trying to break through and score with the box absolutely rammed with bodies most of the time.

We’re playing too slow and have become predictable I’d say and rather than slating Morelos in a bullshit simplified way it’s got more to do with the aforementioned, maybe it’s time Buff was pushed back into the spearhead of our attack where he’s a proper menace and goal threat and more was asked of our midfield and full backs as both Tav and Borna have not been anywhere near the level they can play at so far this season.

Has to be the number goal in January. Need to stop just bolstering the squad. We should sell 3 squad players and invest in a better goal scorer.

Sell
Barker
Simpson
Wright

Buy a number 9
Not sure we’d get anything for those 3 mate Wright maybe but the other two?
The issue for me is we needed to invest in first team players in the summer looks like we got 1 but we needed 3/4. The board clearly doesn’t want to put more cash in and whilst they have the interests of the club at heart and won’t see us in financial trouble they clearly have limits which have been reached.

So what’s needed is big investment in the club and frankly that’s pie in the sky. As it stands we are gambling on CL football and it’s looking more like a long shot as each game passes. We seem to be getting weaker whilst the mankies are getting stronger.

We don't have a player who can fill in for Morelos when he's out of form which is a major issue. Gerrard has said in the past that we relied too much on Morelos, well he couldn't put a nut in a monkeys mouth yesterday and we paid for it by not having a suitable alternative.

Roofe scores but there's more to his game than goals and in my opinion he needs to be in the team along with a striker as part of the front three. We need another "out and out striker".

I agree to some extended RE; management (use of substitutions yesterday as an example) but it’s not on Gerrard that Morelos is missing a sitter from 2 yards.

We bought Itten and didn’t play to his strengths. £2.7m on a striker who we ship out on loan a year letter is poor business.
I think we have to recognise that the misses were exceptionally bad. Alfie would usually tuck some away. If we were four points behind I would be very worried but we are still top.
That said we need to find goals soon. We should be finishing these games in first half and then rotate and rest players. Ruthless and relentless.

Antonio Colak, Croatian striker currently on loan at Malmo from PAOK. Looked superb against us and had a decent record at Rijeka in Croatia before PAOK signed him. 20 games and 11 goals so far this season.
Malmö have an option to buy in January we were linked with him when he played for Rijeka

Sell
Barker
Simpson
Wright

Buy a number 9
How much will that raise? Let's see,

Wright £500k
Barker £100k

That's £600k for those two

Less £1m paid to someone to take Simpson off our hands

Shit that's a loss of £400k

So your suggestion is to leave ourselves a defender short, sell a player who plays as a wide number 10 we are developing, and somehow find a buyer for Barker who we can’t even get someone to take on loan. And then spend the £300k net profit this will all raise on someone better than Morelos or Roofe who we’d want £25m for if we sold both of them? We have proper strikers, sometimes they don’t take their chances. It’s happened 1000 times before under McLeish, Smith and others where we’ve led 1-0 and not killed a game off. If we seriously want to change the forward line, we need to sell Morelos but that’s a massive gamble considering what he contributes over the course of a season

Roofe is the best centre forward in Scotland. We need to change our system and get him playing centrally with Morelos playing off him.

Morelos drops far too deep and we lose that focal point. It frustrates the life out me.

Wouldn’t matter if we sign another striker, gerrard would still ask them to drop deep and pull the cbs out of position hence Morelos isn’t the 6 yard poacher he was. It’s the whole point in breaking down a low block to make space for others

Roofe is the best centre forward in Scotland. We need to change our system and get him playing centrally with Morelos playing off him.

Morelos drops far too deep and we lose that focal point. It frustrates the life out me.
It’s obvious that’s the tactics problem not Morelos, we take too long to change tactics, both during a game and also as a season goes along we stick to the same tactics constantly

Back