Wee warning shot across the BBC’s bows

Yes.

I've already submitted a complaint via the BBC website.

For the first time in years, solely due to BBC Scotland's apology to Rangers Football Club, I watched Sportscene.

The discussion after the replay of the Livingston v Rangers match was in my view biased. This being due its omission of important discussion points from the match.

The replay did not show Livingston player Cancar's first yellow card or the foul that most viewers and pundits viewed as a second yellow card offence which would have led to a red card. The Livingston manager knowing his player was on extremely shaky ground substituted him almost immediately after this event. A first-half substitution in such circumstances is a talk-worthy point, but your editors chose not even to show any of this, and your presenters and pundits made no mention of these notable events either.

We were then treated to much discussion and repeated footage of a disallowed Livingston 'goal' for which the referee had already blown for a foul before the ball was put into the net.

Prior to that disallowed 'goal' Rangers had had a goal chalked off themselves in dubious circumstances. To many in the ground, and to many viewers, that refereeing decision was controversial. Exactly the sort of match event one would expect to be discussed by your pundits post match. But... nothing! Silence!

BBC Scotland's presentation came across to me like it was manufactured to give an 'Ooh, look at lucky Rangers' feel.

At the time of BBC Scotland's apology to Rangers, I thought that it was done solely for the purpose of ending its self-embarrassment at its own pathetic stance on Rangers. I now firmly believe this to be the case.

I have no expectation that BBC Scotland will give Rangers fair, impartial or balanced coverage. As such, I will not be watching any future BBC Scotland coverage (live or highlights) of Rangers, and will also not listen to radio output or view any BBC Scotland website journalism. Enough is enough!
I finally got a reply to my complaint about Pacific Quay CSC's editing of the highlights on the Livi match.

It's every bit as pathetic as I imagined it would be...

=============================
Reference CAS-724984x-xxxxxx

Dear Mr Xxxx

Thank you for getting in touch about Sportscene broadcast on 30 July 2022.

We note your comments regarding the analysis of the Livingston v Rangers match.

In choosing which match action and incidents to discuss in the limited time available, the team base their decisions on editorial merit and on their experience of determining the most significant moments, match action and talking points in each game. We also appreciate that not everyone will agree with each decision.

That said, as with other subjects, we can assure you we report on Scottish football in accordance with the BBC’s Editorial Guidelines, irrespective of the clubs involved, and any suggestion to the contrary is completely without foundation.

Thank you again for getting in touch. Your complaint was raised with BBC Sport Scotland.

Kind regards

BBC Scotland Complaints Team

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints
===========================

Two weeks to come up with that shite? Fùck's sake!

I finally got a reply to my complaint about Pacific Quay CSC's editing of the highlights on the Livi match.

Dear Mr Xxxx

In choosing which match action and incidents to discuss in the limited time available, the team base their decisions on editorial merit and on their experience of determining the most significant moments, match action and talking points in each game. We also appreciate that not everyone will agree with each decision.

That said, as with other subjects, we can assure you we report on Scottish football in accordance with the BBC’s Editorial Guidelines, irrespective of the clubs involved, and any suggestion to the contrary is completely without foundation.

Thank you again for getting in touch. Your complaint was raised with BBC Sport Scotland.

Kind regards

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

As you say, absolute keech.

The writer deliberately ignores the specifics you raised and replies in the abstract.

'We can assure you ...' No, we are not assured. We remain deeply suspicious of BBC's capabilities, because if editorial decisions are not taken out of bias then those taking them must be incompetent. A marginal offside, denying a team an equalising goal isn't deemed a talking point? Really?

As for the opinion - insultingly phrased as fact - that any suggestion of BBC Guidelines not being followed impartially is without foundation ... again, really? Scarcely a month ago you were apologising to Rangers and acknowledging that your coverage of the club had not always met editorial standards.

Of course, this is an organisation for whom Jimmy Saville wasn't a paedo until he was proved to be a paedo.

Standard fob off.
Ask them for access to the specific “Guidelines” they say they’ve adhered to and why they have not advised you how to progress the complaint if not satisfied.
Does this not form part of the complaints procedure?
They will give you the runaround in the hope you’ll go away. They are good at it. They’ll deliberately not address points you make, so you have to keep asking, in the hope you get fed up.
These can go on for months and they will drag it out.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Dear Mr Xxxx

Kind regards

www.bbc.co.uk/complaints

Had that reply year upon year stopped my licence last year,got a rebate also, a leopard never changes its spots the most corrupt corporation in the world ALL of the BBC worse than deloitte add in the W.H.O AND W.E.F. im afraid were phucked!

Standard fob off.
Ask them for access to the specific “Guidelines” they say they’ve adhered to and why they have not advised you how to progress the complaint if not satisfied.
Does this not form part of the complaints procedure?
They will give you the runaround in the hope you’ll go away. They are good at it. They’ll deliberately not address points you make, so you have to keep asking, in the hope you get fed up.
These can go on for months and they will drag it out.
Good luck.
Spot on mate standard fob off!

Parity of esteem, fair-minded journalism and impartiality don't form the vocabulary of a certain broadcaster. That's why we need to complain directly down south.

Back