What do they say about good goalkeepers

I'd love to be able to argue with you, but he looks so immobile it's unreal.

Age or an underlying injury? Who knows. But even jogging to gather the ball for goal kicks etc. he just doesn't look right. He's been reluctant to come off his line for months, and panics with the ball at his feet and in cagey matches.

Something not right with him that's for sure.

Age or an underlying injury? Who knows. But even jogging to gather the ball for goal kicks etc. he just doesn't look right. He's been reluctant to come off his line for months, and panics with the ball at his feet and in cagey matches.

Hasn't came off his line his whole career

Hasn't came off his line his whole career
Yes he has. I don't mean at corners, crosses etc, he's always been reluctant to do that.

I mean coming to collect through balls and balls over the top or sweeping up. He's let the CH's get into some mess at times when they've expected him to come out and gather.

Even the first one yesterday, the AM of old would probably have dived and intercepted/smothered that cross. Think that's what Goldson was expecting, although he should just have put it out for a corner.

Good strikers win you games, good goalkeepers win you leagues. Currently our best keeper is warming the bench. No room for sentiment here.

Should have been replaced weeks ago, he will always be a legend of the club but his time is done now if Gio doesn't replace him and we lose the league Gio should be replaced in the summer.

It's something that Walter maybe should have done in 97/98. Goram was out of form and making mistakes all over the place. But in his head he remembers how good he was just one season before.

It's something that McLeish probably got right with Klos in the latter days of his reign. January 2005 Klos is out with knee ligament damage. That's a helluva injury to come back from. I was raging at the time because Klos was my favourite Rangers player but McLeish probably knew he would never get back to the player he once was.

It's heartbreaking to see players who were almost infallible taken out the team but it needs to be done while there is still the chance of a league to be won.

Both goals again would have been stopped yesterday if we had a decent level spfl gk. McGregor is the worst in the division currently.

We all knew a regression was coming, no sign of it until this season but it’s been rapid and has shipped a number of points. Probably around the same number Alan would normally save us which is a considerable turnaround.

We might still have time to pull things back but they decision needs to be made now and McLaughlin has to be our new number 1.

He looks as if he knows himself he's shot. No confidence in him at all. I don't think the defence does either.

Sadly, I need to agree.

It comes to us all. The mind might still be sharp, but the body just cant quite keep up like it used too, and Greegsy is as slow as a week in the jail now

That, and hes cost us a right few points this season. More than hes saved us, the balance has changed

It’s age. It happened to Buffon at PSG his form and agility just fell off a Cliff. Very few pro players can continue to 40, even goalkeepers who sometimes can.

Mcgregor is finished and what’s more he knows it himself. The bigger man inside him should be having a chat with the manager today to admit it.

They save 12-15 points a season

We have a goal keeper who costs us 12 - 15 points a season

If gio can’t make an easy decision to remove him we won’t win the league

It’s that simple been saying this for weeks
How everyone of us can see this but the coaching staff can't is a mystery to me.

I worry about the influence of Colin Stewart.

Hearts, Ross County, and yesterday versus Motherwell are the glaring blunders I can immediately think of. Six points dropped, and that means we'd be six in front of the vermin regardless of the 3-0 drubbing they gave us. ( I hope my arithmetic's right...:rolleyes:) That's not counting, of course, games we've dropped points that had nothing to do with McGregor. If you factor that in we should be miles in front just now.

Should have either retired gracefully at the end of last season going out at the top or stayed on as a number 2 goalie this season. Still has some good shot stopping moments but time has crept up on him on his overall game and it's horrible to watch.

The manager has to review the recent mistakes and realise he needs to change the keeper

Ross County mistakes should have seen him dropped

Yesterday his reactions were rotten

We lost 2 goals from 3 shots on target

That’s diabolical

Time to give McLaughlin his chance. We are running out of games

I know players want to play, particularly a winner like Allan McGregor is.

There must come a point of realisation with him, that his body can’t do what his minds asking it.

Prior to this season I’d have argued with anyone that he was still the best goalie in Scotland.

They save 12-15 points a season

We have a goal keeper who costs us 12 - 15 points a season

If gio can’t make an easy decision to remove him we won’t win the league

It’s that simple been saying this for weeks
He’s shown already he doesn’t have the balls to do it after numerous errors.

McGregor is a club great, arguably the best ever. But he’s untouchable, at least that’s how it seems.

The second goal yesterday looks bad, but it is driven at pace really low down so i could maybe excuse him for that if it were an isolated incident but since January alone there’s been numerous others as well.

He should have been dropped months ago. Ross County should then have been the final straw.

If he starts on Wednesday then it doesn't bode well. I'm not interested in having a manager who can't make tough decisions.

There is absolutely zero case for keeping him in the team. It is insanity.

Should’ve been dropped around the scum game - but I appreciate it wasn’t the best game to throw McLaughlin straight into.

I will admit to not having wanted to see this. However ,since more folk have been getting on mcgregor, , you watch him more closely.
Thursday night, those 4 corners in a row that Aribo headed away at the near post- all should have been simply gathered.
yesterday- their first goal. jeezo, he only had to fall on top of it to cut it out.

Sadly, time for a change

Hate to be pedantic but our goalkeeper has not cost us ‘12-15 points a season’

This is the first season he’s done it.

It's clear he's not able to get down quickly and his position is terrible at times. I don't want to be seeing that from a keeper who has been so good for us. It's clear it's time for him to take a step back. He might not want to admit it and Gio certainly doesn't want to admit it but it's very plain to see.

Gio is not putting the team first by picking him every game.

McGregor is a club great, arguably the best ever. But he’s untouchable, at least that’s how it seems.

The second goal yesterday looks bad, but it is driven at pace really low down so i could maybe excuse him for that if it were an isolated incident but since January alone there’s been numerous others as well.
A younger mcgregor saves that that’s not his fault age catches up with everyone so time to take him out before it’s to late because that’s 4 points 2 games as McLaughlin would have came out for the united goal

Second goal is a bread and butter block with your foot, he just couldn't move his quick enough. It is sad to watch, but sentiment can play no part here, we have a league to win and must give ourselves the best chance of doing it.

It’s awful to have to say this for the first time but you’re right he needs to be left out now. Those two goals yesterday should never have happened. He is horrendously out of form. Whether that is age, injury or confidence we don’t know - but it can’t continue. I will say though: he has been severely let down by our defence.

Not having/signing a usable 4th centre half really has been a disaster. Coupled with having to use Bassey at CH and Borna turning into his former self and being so timid and weak it’s been a shambles.

With Balogun and Helander nearly fit and with a change of GK we “could” still, incredibly salvage this season. Hell of a lot of work to do though.

Two options
A keeper who commands his 6 yard box and comes for crosses.
or
defenders so good he can stay on his line and shot stop.

Right now we have neither, I’d prefer both.

Two options
A keeper who commands his 6 yard box and comes for crosses.
or
defenders so good he can stay on his line and shot stop.

Right now we have neither, I’d prefer both.
Think we have a keeper in McLaughlin the defence might be more secure with knowing he’s going to come out for crosses mcgregor first spell we did have defended like weir bougherra cueller so he didn’t need to come out and because he was younger his reflex and shot stopping was first class it’s merely age he probably believes he can still do it but obviously he can’t

Think we have a keeper in McLaughlin the defence might be more secure with knowing he’s going to come out for crosses mcgregor first spell we did have defended like weir bougherra cueller so he didn’t need to come out and because he was younger his reflex and shot stopping was first class it’s merely age he probably believes he can still do it but obviously he can’t
If he thinks he can still do it then he's utterly delusional. The decision should be taken out of his hands anyway. Gio needs to show some balls here. He starts on Wednesday then we're in big trouble, I'm afraid. It'll send out a message that a manager really shouldn't be sending out.

Been saying it pretty much all season since the Malmo game yet you'd get routinely slaughtered on here because he's "Shagger" and he'll have a "world class" performance just around the corner.

Still waiting for it.

Barisic = dropped
Kamara = dropped
Davis = completely bombed out altogether

Neither of them have been remotely as bad as McGregor yet he's bulletproof? Why?

It's clear he's not able to get down quickly and his position is terrible at times. I don't want to be seeing that from a keeper who has been so good for us. It's clear it's time for him to take a step back. He might not want to admit it and Gio certainly doesn't want to admit it but it's very plain to see.

Gio is not putting the team first by picking him every game.
The bigger worry then, is GVB watching mclauchlin in training- who I think we all think is able- and just not fancying him as being good enough?

Been saying it pretty much all season since the Malmo game yet you'd get routinely slaughtered on here because he's "Shagger" and he'll have a "world class" performance just around the corner.

Still waiting for it.

Barisic = dropped
Kamara = dropped
Davis = completely bombed out altogether

Neither of them have been remotely as bad as McGregor yet he's bulletproof? Why?
All fair points

Totally agree.

The famous shagger shuffle he does when he's time wasting has actually became his normal operating pace and it's absolutely soul destroying to watch.

No one is bigger than the club.
Thanks Allan but it's time to stand down.

McLaughlin has to be the number 1 for the run in, no ifs buts or maybes.
Get it done Gio.

Goalkeepers are remembered for their mistakes, not their saves. You expect a keeper to make saves, you don't expect him to make mistakes.

100% he should have got down to stop the second no time for sentiment now

I think he should’ve done more to get on the ball that was put across his area (four yards from his goal line) for the first goal.

A 30yr old McGregor gets down and smothers it or gets a hand on it to divert it away from the danger.

A 40yr old McGregor doesn’t make an attempt.

He is in danger of finishing his Gers career as the man who cost us the league R county game was the killer for me how he is still in nets ????? If Gio picks him for the St j game I really don’t think he has the balls to be our manager long term it really is that bad

Back