Who takes next penalty?

If he needs to learn then let him take them when they don’t matter, eg when the games already won or in the early stages of the cup competitions. 2 missed out of 5 is poor for anybody, never mind a striker. We can’t afford to take that sort of gamble in important matches.
Apart from today, when was the other missed penalty?

If Alfie was chosen to take them over Tav then that suggests most of our players are pish at them in training. His style doesn't suggest he's a good penalty taker and we saw he isn't today. Would just give them back to Tav

I’m talking his record in his senior career. He’s 1 out of two for us and 2 out of three for HJK Helsinki.
Hmmnn.
For a young striker, the 2/3 at Helsinki is neither here nor there, in the grand scheme of things as he was very much still wearing L plates.
Today was poor, but he didn't miss the goal and their goalkeeper (who was on the form of his life) nicked a decisive yard.
I am not convinced that your argument against him stands up.
I see your point about his striking of a football, but often he is under huge pressure to get a shot away and that is not the same as a dead ball situation.

My instincts are to go with our striker.
But we are allowed to disagree. :)

The way Ryan Jack is playing and striking a ball, I wonder if he would be a good penalty taker right now. Even if he missed any when younger at Pittodrie.

Hindsight is wonderful but a wouldn’t have gave Morelos the pen it should be someone who is clean striker Off the ball

Morelos is a brilliant snap finisher who takes his chances when he doesn't need time to think about it. I posted this before when people were wanting tav taken off penalties.
Unfortunately we had to learn the hard way that great strikers dont necessarily make good penalty takers.

Hmmnn.
For a young striker, the 2/3 at Helsinki is neither here nor there, in the grand scheme of things as he was very much still wearing L plates.
Today was poor, but he didn't miss the goal and their goalkeeper (who was on the form of his life) nicked a decisive yard.
I am not convinced that your argument against him stands up.
I see your point about his striking of a football, but often he is under huge pressure to get a shot away and that is not the same as a dead ball situation.

My instincts are to go with our striker.
But we are allowed to disagree. :)

The kick today should have been re-taken for Lurch advancing off his line I agree. There were also numerous encroachments, from both teams, when the kick was taken.

From looking at the stats it seems we either have to go with someone who’s stats suggest he will miss 1 in 3 (Tav, Defoe, Borna, Davis are all around that mark) or go ‘off piste’ and try someone who’s never been a regular taker before, like Jack or Kent.

Had we got our second penalty today and Morelos had scored it then he too would have been a 1 miss in 3 man.;)

Rangers captains who have a "speciality" of hitting penalties do not not hit penalties in cup finals

That's all

Tav does. Just as he should have been left on penalties for today.

No question it is now a dilemma for the Manager though. I suspect he made the call weeks ago thinking another penalty would come along soon, not that it would be in the Cup Final with us a goal down. Huge pressure on whoever takes the next one now - and I’d revert to Tav.
Ordinarily, I’d agree but, that really would send out the wrong message about today.

I‘m sure they also tend to do as their Manager instructs. Unless you think Gerrard is being ‘economical with the truth’. In truth, not one of us knows if he sacked Tav off penalties or if he’s covering for him. My preference is to go with the Manager telling the truth.
Fair comment but my preference would still be for a Rangers captain who lead by example.

As I said before, someone who can hit the corner with pace and power.

Despite the trolling fud who responded, it is actually a reasonable expectation of a professional footballer who has all day every day to work on it.

Ordinarily, I’d agree but, that really would send out the wrong message about today.

I understand what you are saying mate. I do. As I’ve said earlier in one of the many threads on this, the Manager now has a huge dilemma. However, scoring that next penalty is much more important than any message it sends out. For me, Tav offers the best likelihood of that.

I understand what you are saying mate. I do. As I’ve said earlier in one of the many threads on this, the Manager now has a huge dilemma. However, scoring that next penalty is much more important than any message it sends out. For me, Tav offers the best likelihood of that.
If the manager named Morelos as penalty taker he needs to stick with him , changing after one miss sends out the wrong message.

Morelos is a brilliant snap finisher who takes his chances when he doesn't need time to think about it. I posted this before when people were wanting tav taken off penalties.
Unfortunately we had to learn the hard way that great strikers dont necessarily make good penalty takers.
Aye he took them well today

Morelos.
Give him the spot-kicks.
He is the striker, it should be a strikers job.
Sure he won't score them all, but he will soon become accustomed to the pressure and he will score plenty.
Morelos is my favourite player but i've never been too keen on him being the penalty taker. I was never confident he was scoring today especially as i thought the pressure was getting to him the longer the game went on.

If the manager named Morelos as penalty taker he needs to stick with him , changing after one miss sends out the wrong message.

Don't agree.

If you hit a penalty where the keeper saves it every time he guesses the right way, you don't take another one.

You or me could've hit that penalty today, it was a hit and hope.

Why the need for compete and utter hyperbole? If I read this without seeing the penalty I’m thinking he’s tried a paneka and the keeper just stood there and caught it. Or he’s slipped and barely caught the ball and it’s trickled along and into the keepers hands.

You see penalties like Morelos’s all the time. It’s a poor penalty but it’s absolute shite to suggest it’s one of the worst penalties you’ve seen at that level unless you’ve only ever watched 10 top flight games.

As for who should be on the next one, why on earth would it go back to Tav? If he wasn’t confident enough to stay on them then why would he go on them now?
Wow challenging every point

Poo
It was poor but Tav had more than one miss.

I would have someone who can strike the ball the way Tavernier used to hit them. Into the corner with a bit of height and pace

It's really not something a team should be missing continuously, especially a team like Rangers.

It's become a huge problem.

I would have someone who can strike the ball the way Tavernier used to hit them. Into the corner with a bit of height and pace

It's really not something a team should be missing continuously, especially a team like Rangers.

It's become a huge problem.
Tav used to hit free kicks that way too , so what happened?

Tav used to hit free kicks that way too , so what happened?

Don't have a clue but he missed too many to be trusted today.

I fail to believe someone like Borna for example couldn't repeatedly bang one into the net in training.

The attempt today was pathetic and cost us the cup.

This place can be hilarious at times. Folks were wanting Tav as far away from penalties as possible after his misses. Now everybody wants him back on them.

I’m more interested in how the decision came about for Alfie to take them. If it was a pre-planned decision by the management or the squad then I have no problem and it isn’t unreasonable to hand them to a high scoring striker. BUT, if it was a knee jerk reaction in the match to give Morelos a chance to break his duck then some arses need kicking. At that point in time it was obvious that AM was having a mare and Tav was very wrong to concede it to him.

FWIW I’d have no issue reverting to Tav, his record is fairly good and anybody can miss an odd one. It’s a given that the man most likely to miss one is the regular penalty taker.

Back