Who's the "biggest" club with the poorest Honours list?

Was looking at Roma on Wikipedia the other day and was pretty surprised to learn that they've only been Champions of Italy 3 times. The last being 2001. I knew that was their last one and I knew they didn't have 10 because they don't have a star, but I'd have imagined they weren't that far off it!

Their Europa Conference League win the other week was their first major honour since 2007, and only the 15th in their entire history overall.

As the major football club in Italy's capital city that's fucking pish isn't it?

Any other candidates?
You could also have another thread mate - of overachievers:

Villa,
Forest,
cfc (winning an ec that Linfield an amateur side almost won. But 4 ties and beat zurich, nantes, vojvodina, dukla and luckily internazionale to win it).

Probably controversial but I’d throw Chelsea and Man City in there for their records pre investment days.

For the size of the clubs they were unsuccessful before they became Nouveau Riche

I went along to a former players` night in 2019, held to remember the 50th anniversary of our semi final against Newcastle in the Fairs Cup. It was held in a huge Working Men`s Club in Wallsend; and representing Rangers were Willie Johnston; Colin Stein; and Willie Henderson.
Newcastle had no less than eight of the team on stage, and numerous faces from later years in the audience; (the likes of Malcolm MacDonald).
The compere was the local evening newspaper columnist (of 50+ years) for United; who was an absolute mine of information.
At one point he addressed our legends, saying `your club has won countless trophies since then; and you will continue to win more`.......... `we`ve won bugger all since then; so by f*ck we`re clinging on to this for dear life` .
The room roared with self deprecating laughter.... 50 odd years is a hell of a wait for silverware.
Great story.

I was looking at the list of Bundesliga winners, and was surprised at some of the teams hwo had never won it (Leverkusen in particular)

Actually Leverkusen have only won two major trophies - one German Cup and one UEFA Cup. Pretty pish

Leverkusen are shite thats why. A small club with no fans but too much money.

Spurs famously contrived to come 3rd in a two horse race for the league between them and Leicester. I honestly don't think they'll have a better chance to win it for decades.
To be fair they wouldn't have won it anyway because Leicester just kept on winning.

European wise, a case to be had for us sadly.

Overall honours, Dortmund get a notable shout from me - more so given the love of them, you'd think they'd been successful with the fanboying that goes on.

Hope it's Frankfurt as I have a profound dislike for them. If they hadn't put us out in 1960 the "Greatest ever European Final" and the Highest attended record would have easily been broken.
Aye but they horsed us to be fair. Saying ‘if they hadn’t put us out in 1960’ is kind of suggesting it was a close run thing

Based on the last 31 years - Spurs, one FA Cup and 2 League Cups - European Elite Club .................... Do me a favour

European wise, a case to be had for us sadly.
Reluctantly agree to this. 1 win in 5 finals for a club of our size is pretty poor. If they were all European Cup/Champions League finals then it wouldn't be as bad but they are all 2nd tier European competitions and I don't think that's a good return for the size of our club.

I’m sure there was a period in the ‘90s / early 2000s before Bayern evolved into a super club where Leverkusen were considered to be the richest club in Germany.
Back then they were also involved with these, Brian Laudrup played there:

Newcastle for me, they have as big a support as any of the English top flight have generated sufficient funds, had good enough squads at times but just fail to get over the line.

From the Evening Chronicle iIrc bud.
Three hours of fantastic entertainment; and I went along primarily to meet the United players; who I`ll probably never meet again... Had the best of nights.

Glad you enjoyed it mate. Obviously that NUFC v Rangers Semi Final goes down in folklore down here for 2 reasons. Firstly 1969 was the last time NUFC won a major trophy and secondly for what went on on the terraces!

At Newcastle the supporters were used to things going their way when it came to away fans turning up and trying to act themselves but that was an invasion never seen before or possibly since. The only thing to compare, numbers wise was when Rangers played at SJP in the Newcastle/Gateshead Cup about 15 years ago but the atmosphere was a lot more jovial on that occasion.

Newcastle United must be in with a shout. Only won the league once since the First World War and that was in the 20s. Havent won the cup in 60+ years.

That was my first thought. The passion of their fans is rated as legendary in some quarters. Its time they got a manager and team that could realise their dreams.

PSG.

Had only won the league twice before the money took over in 2012 and they could buy it every year.

Also only won one European trophy, which again for the money they spend is ridiculous, and only been in 3 major finals.

Id put most, if not all the big French clubs in that category. The league is still piped up as one of the big 5 when it’s rotten to watch at times. They all think they are big clubs, but not for me.

The only good thing to watch in French football is the crackpot fans who cause chaos!

PSG.

Had only won the league twice before the money took over in 2012 and they could buy it every year.

Also only won one European trophy, which again for the money they spend is ridiculous, and only been in 3 major finals.
Can argue with that mind that they have never dropped in to the Europa League since the money came, they would be automatic clear favs if they did really.

Can argue with that mind that they have never dropped in to the Europa League since the money came, they would be automatic clear favs if they did really.
That is true but even then 1 CL final in the last 10 years is poor, again considering the money they spend.

That is true but even then 1 CL final in the last 10 years is poor, again considering the money they spend.
Oh aye, just all spend loads mind don't they - I honestly wouldn't know who had spent the most these days!

Was looking at Roma on Wikipedia the other day and was pretty surprised to learn that they've only been Champions of Italy 3 times. The last being 2001. I knew that was their last one and I knew they didn't have 10 because they don't have a star, but I'd have imagined they weren't that far off it!

Their Europa Conference League win the other week was their first major honour since 2007, and only the 15th in their entire history overall.

As the major football club in Italy's capital city that's fucking pish isn't it?

Any other candidates?
Everton haven't won a trophy since the FA CUP in 1995. They are living off past glories.

Spurs are the obvious answer, but Arsenal are pretty pathetic as well. 3 title wins in the Premier League era, and nothing to shout about in Europe

Definitely not the same for Australia, Canberra is the capital.
Aye, was just an argument that always came up. The Hague is how I have always seen the capital of Holland to be. Could go on all day about it, there are over 10 nations with a similar issue.

The epl has quite a few; Newcastle Utd, West Ham, Leeds.
West Ham a big club...come on? If they hadn't been gifted the opportunity of the Olympic Stadium they would be playing in front of 30,000 locals every week. A wonderful club yes, a traditional a club yes, but big??? Never close.

They do have a big support, but surely that can’t be all that’s needed?

For example, Sunderland also have a big ground and a big support and have actually won more league titles than Newcastle, but does that qualify them for big club status?

My guess is that people remember the Newcastle team of the mid ‘90s being a force for a few years with players like Shearer, Asprilla and Ginola (despite the fact they didn’t actually win anything) but forget it really only lasted a very brief period of time and it was a whole quarter of a century ago now.

It’s like those who contend Leeds or Nottingham Forest are big clubs because they were successful for a few years back in the ‘70s.

How would you define a big club then? History, traditions and fan base would suggest Newcastle were always a big club, who in my 60 year lifetime have always under delivered, and deservedly are a nomination here. Big clubs change as football evolves, e.g. Man City/Chelsea/PSG are not really "big clubs" in the first 100 years of football, but they are now thanks to mega moneyed owners! Maybe we should have a FollowFollow list of accepted big clubs and that becomes our reference point for all these discussions.

Hard to get past the first premis that the capital city of Italy has failed so consistently to produce winners, not unlike the capital city of Scotland too. Big clubs are defined by their country of course, so you would have to pitch Hibs in from a local perspective. Personally Hibs, Roma and Lazio are not big clubs for me, but there you go.

Back then they were also involved with these, Brian Laudrup played there:

I remember possibly late 80s going Krefeld on a pre season tour again the then called Bayer Uerdingen and I could be wrong I’m sure Robert Pritz played for them

Couple of posts pointing out our own record as not being that great (European wise) and I'd have to agree.

But in terms of 'bigger clubs' I'd point my finger at Juventus.

Played in 14 Major European Club Finals (9 EC/CL, 1 CWC and 4 UEFA/EL).

Yes, did win 6 of those BUT their last Cup won was the Champions League in 95/96 season.

They have LOST 7 of those 9 EC/CL finals.

Quite shocking for a Club from a Big Five league who for decades were the biggest and best in Italy (they lost a CL Final in every decade from the 70s to the 10s).

Couple of posts pointing out our own record as not being that great (European wise) and I'd have to agree.

But in terms of 'bigger clubs' I'd point my finger at Juventus.

Played in 14 Major European Club Finals (9 EC/CL, 1 CWC and 4 UEFA/EL).

Yes, did win 6 of those BUT their last Cup won was the Champions League in 95/96 season.

They have LOST 7 of those 9 EC/CL finals.

Quite shocking for a Club from a Big Five league who for decades were the biggest and best in Italy (they lost a CL Final in every decade from the 70s to the 10s).
It really just shows how difficult it is to win these finals.

For Roma to have won their first this season with the conference is unreal.

I’m just so glad we did it in 72- to have played in 5 finals and lost them all would be Fcking savage .

I remember possibly late 80s going Krefeld on a pre season tour again the then called Bayer Uerdingen and I could be wrong I’m sure Robert Pritz played for them
Here you go mate:

Quite an interesting read:

Last edited:
Here you go mate:

Quite an interesting read:

I remember the game was played at what looked like a training park a great trip was had by all
Thanks for that

Back