Who's the "biggest" club with the poorest Honours list?

West Ham a big club...come on? If they hadn't been gifted the opportunity of the Olympic Stadium they would be playing in front of 30,000 locals every week. A wonderful club yes, a traditional a club yes, but big??? Never close.
I quite often play golf with a QPR supporter and during our football chats he reckons WHU are a big club, and they'll soon be knocking Arsenal off the London perch. As a result of their new investors.

Newcastle is always claimed as a big club - won very little - but their huge support gives that perception. But unlike most big cities they only one club for the entire city to follow.

Spurs would be a popular shout, they have had former glories are seldom near challenging anymore.

Wonder if Sao Paulo are classed as being in a real lull these days, if any Brazilian experts are about.

I always think Lazio or Roma but Schalke is a huge runner, second most members in Germany - I make them bigger than Dortmund personally.

Hertha Berlin a funny Club but the whole City is funny on the football scene as well as money in general, given it’s the capital of Germany. I was at Oldenburg v Dynamo Berlin on Saturday, second leg for going up in to 3 Liga in Germany - the biggest match for Dynamo this century I reckon.

Hammarby in Stockholm ain’t won much.
Not surprising about Hammarby their only title as in the 2000s
They weren’t really a feature of the top league regularly till the 70s and they’ve been around a hundred years
Not easy to contend either with Malmo by far the biggest and Gothenburg

Not surprising about Hammarby their only title as in the 2000s
They weren’t really a feature of the top league regularly till the 70s and they’ve been around a hundred years
Not easy to contend either with Malmo by far the biggest and Gothenburg
Funny that as I was talking to a lad who goes Swedish Football this week who said Hammarby are seen as bigger as IFK these days. I went and watched Hammarby in April and was impressed by the support. Seems they get a far higher average as well than IFK and Malmo?

Funny that as I was talking to a lad who goes Swedish Football this week who said Hammarby are seen as bigger as IFK these days. I went and watched Hammarby in April and was impressed by the support. Seems they get a far higher average as well than IFK and Malmo?
Yes I think they have a big support although Swedish crowds are good if they’re over 10 000
Yes I suppose Gothenburg have fell away in recent years. I know Malmo fans see IFK as their main rivals as well as locally Helsingborg.

Have you missed Madrid winning it 5 times in the past 8 years?

Ajax, Belgrade and Steaua Bucharest all won it as well.
Yeah: daft one to miss! Lisbon too of were going ore champions league.

But then you've got England, France, Germany and Italy all football mad countries with one win between their capital cities.

Shocking news for all of schooled in the 60-80's who were taught about The Hague, but true since 1823 apparently.
Another little-considered fact about the Netherlands is it is only 1 of 4 constituent countries of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, in the same way England or Scotland are only 1 of 4 constituent countries of the United Kingdom.

The other 3 are every bit as much part of the Kingdom as the Netherlands is.

I was looking at the list of Bundesliga winners, and was surprised at some of the teams hwo had never won it (Leverkusen in particular)

Actually Leverkusen have only won two major trophies - one German Cup and one UEFA Cup. Pretty pish
To be fair Leverkusen is only about the size of Dundee, and they've played a Champions League final.

This sounds utterly mental but I always think we look quite poor in a European sense.

We have 5 finals which is a respectable number outiwth the now super rich clubs yet only have one Euro trophy that's not even a thing any more. Always annoys me.
We’ve hugely underachieved in Europe. It’s sad to say, but it’s true.

We should have won a European trophy in the 1990s.

Anderlecht also have 5 European trophies which I think puts them ahead of the whole of France.
I remember Anderlecht punching above their weight when I was a boy but they've "only" actually won 3 European trophies which is to be fair is still very impressive for a club of their size and resources.

I'm not counting Super Cups like Aberdeen do.

I remember Anderlecht punching above their weight when I was a boy but they've "only" actually won 3 European trophies which is to be fair is still very impressive for a club of their size and resources.

I'm not counting Super Cups like Aberdeen do.
I'm sure we'd be counting it it we won it.

Only two top flight titles. However, they have 8 FA Cup wins, 4 League Cup wins and the small matter of a Cup Winners Cup win and 2 UEFA Cup wins into the bargain.

They are nowhere near being in contention for this particular 'honour'.
Bit of wisdom goes a long way among the fruit cakes of follow follow

I was looking at the list of Bundesliga winners, and was surprised at some of the teams hwo had never won it (Leverkusen in particular)

Actually Leverkusen have only won two major trophies - one German Cup and one UEFA Cup. Pretty pish
Schalke are a huge club, I don't think they have won much in my lifetime?
But what a huge support they have.

Couple of posts pointing out our own record as not being that great (European wise) and I'd have to agree.

But in terms of 'bigger clubs' I'd point my finger at Juventus.

Played in 14 Major European Club Finals (9 EC/CL, 1 CWC and 4 UEFA/EL).

Yes, did win 6 of those BUT their last Cup won was the Champions League in 95/96 season.

They have LOST 7 of those 9 EC/CL finals.

Quite shocking for a Club from a Big Five league who for decades were the biggest and best in Italy (they lost a CL Final in every decade from the 70s to the 10s).
Wow, that is a turd record from Juventus. It makes me feel better about our 1 out of 5 success rate.

The question was “the biggest club with the poorest record”. It doesn’t necessarily mean a huge/big club.
Newcastle are in with a shout.

Biggest club in Scotland with the poorest record? Could be another question.
It’ll be a diddy team though.
Up here that would probably be Hibs, for a club of their size there record of winning is very poor.

Travel well to be fair Sheffield Clubs.

Not too sure who is biggest mind, not sure Sheff Wed are miles ahead of Sheff Utd.
Lets put it this way mate..

The biggest club in Sheffield was The Niche Allnighter never mind either of these 2..........

P.S im a Bradford man..

:)

Up here that would probably be Hibs, for a club of their size there record of winning is very poor.
I think I'd have to go with Dundee.

The "famous five" era of Hibs were considered the second team in Scotland for almost a decade.
Dwarfing the beasts achievements.

Bit off topic, I’ve always felt we should have had more than 1 European trophy to our name
There will always be the question, if Scot Symon had not dropped Jim Forrest and George McLean for the final of the 1967 cup winners cup, would we have beaten Bayern Munich?

As far as I know, they're the hipster choice in Stockholm, a bit of a Swedish Celtic. They like to think of themselves as proper working class but the area has been absolutely gentrified and it seems most of their fans are middle-class hipsters and students from the provinces.

As far as I know, they're the hipster choice in Stockholm, a bit of a Swedish Celtic. They like to think of themselves as proper working class but the area has been absolutely gentrified and it seems most of their fans are middle-class hipsters and students from the provinces.
Didn't find that myself, guess the Celtic thing is always likely to pop up due to their colours - got talking to a few lads who were far from hipsters or middle class.

I think our game against them in 1975 was my first European match at Ibrox.
They are the french club I like. They always seemed like a big European name when I was a kid. So took to them way back. My dad wouldn’t buy me a strip when I asked for it as a kid. Was raging! Now know why right enough.

Aberdeen have an entire region to themselves and have a pysh record.
Apart from a few league wins and a few Scottish cups as well as a couple of European trophy’s. Hibs record for being a major Scottish team is appalling.
Over their history Aberdeen blow just about every team in Scotland out the water apart from ourselves and the Mhanks

Apart from a few league wins and a few Scottish cups as well as a couple of European trophy’s. Hibs record for being a major Scottish team is appalling.
Over their history Aberdeen blow just about every team in Scotland out the water apart from ourselves and the Mhanks
Only for a very short period tho.

The capitals of England, Germany, Italy and France -all of the big five except Spain have one win between them.
Benfica tho. Portugal is a big football country. So Chelsea x 2, Benfica x 2, Madrid x 14 = 18 from capital cities which is about 25% but they are maybe 1% of clubs?

Newcastle United , they think they are a massive club but colour tv wasn’t invented last time they won a domestic trophy it was so long ago & to top it , they r won less league titles (4) than arch rivals Sunderland (6)

Back