Who's the "biggest" club with the poorest Honours list?

The flip side of what the OP is asking I know but Aberdeen should be much bigger than they currently are.

At the start of the 80s they won the Cup Winners Cup (last team to beat Real Madrid in a euro final I believe) and they won the Super Cup. They had a huge following at the time and were winning cups and league domestically.

That they didn't rise to the Rangers challenge when Holmes brought Souness and Sir Walter to Ibrox should be to their eternal shame. I know they took us to a final day play off at Ibrox but since then it has been pretty much down hill for them.

Hope it's Frankfurt as I have a profound dislike for them. If they hadn't put us out in 1960 the "Greatest ever European Final" and the Highest attended record would have easily been broken.
Of course you're right in what you say regarding those records, however it should be borne in mind there has been a long-standing friendship between the clubs since that semi-final meeting in 1960, and also the 1961 match to mark the inauguration of the Hampden floodlights (almost 105,000 attendance, world record attendance at the time for a friendly). I thought Eintracht Frankfurt and their supporters were a class act before and after the Europa League final, and both have have certainly earned my respect.
Re the 1960 European Cup Final, whilst it would have been a great achievement to get there I would have worried about a great Rangers team conceding even more than the record of seven Frankfurt lost to Puskas and Di Stefano.

Of course you're right in what you say regarding those records, however it should be borne in mind there has been a long-standing friendship between the clubs since that semi-final meeting in 1960, and also the 1961 match to mark the inauguration of the Hampden floodlights (almost 105,000 attendance, world record attendance at the time for a friendly). I thought Eintracht Frankfurt and their supporters were a class act before and after the Europa League final, and both have have certainly earned my respect.
Re the 1960 European Cup Final, whilst it would have been a great achievement to get there I would have worried about a great Rangers team conceding even more than the record of seven Frankfurt lost to Puskas and Di Stefano.
I get that as historical. All about timing as well. My grandpa used to rage that if proper European competition started after WW1 Rangers could have won about 20-30 European cups and of course Alan Morton was by miles the best player in the world. Also, I personally enjoyed the company of Frankfurt fans for about 2 weeks around the final. The only reason the Spanish were good is because we kicked Hitlers lady's front bottom in and left Spain and Franco alone.

Newcastle United , they think they are a massive club but colour tv wasn’t invented last time they won a domestic trophy it was so long ago & to top it , they r won less league titles (4) than arch rivals Sunderland (6)

The last bit sticks out. We all tend to think of Newcastle as the bigger of the two,

Benfica tho. Portugal is a big football country. So Chelsea x 2, Benfica x 2, Madrid x 14 = 18 from capital cities which is about 25% but they are maybe 1% of clubs?
Def. The Netherlands/ajax too. Red star?

Remove madrid from that equation tho and I think it's worth commenting on.

The Hague is capital of Netherlands but your tight with Red Star and Steua.

The surprise is the mega cities like Paris, London, Moscow, especially London when you think of the number of automatic qualifications they get and total wealth of the clubs. 2 titles is pathetic.

Germany and Italy are the big ones there at the end of the day. Probably a far bigger fact how few times Berlin and Rome have provided a League Champion.

Bundesliga x Berlin = 0
Setie A x Rome = 5

With Serie A Turin has provided 43 and Milan 38.

Back