Why did we change our shape?

TimzRFudz

We started 4231. We dominated the ball, played at high tempo, played the game in the final third and pressurised them.

We scored and immediately (as in before half time) dropped into a 433 and stayed like that for the second half.
We became passive, more laboured and invited them onto us.

Yes, individual errors at both ends of the pitch ultimately cost us, but for the life of me I've no idea why we seemed to decide to get our noses in front and then go back into our shell. On top of that I couldn't understand why we took Wright off when he was eager for the ball and able to cause them problems by some direct running at pace.

I'm just home and haven't seen any interviews yet. Did SG comment on it?

Think it's less a different system and more the natural areas that certain players like to take. We started with Hagi behind the striker, so 4-2-3-1. Then they rotated to Aribo in there. But Aribo drops back much more to receive the ball with his back to goal, looking more like 4-3-3.

I like Aribo a lot, but that number 10 position is not for him

Think it's less a different system and more the natural areas that certain players like to take. We started with Hagi behind the striker, so 4-2-3-1. Then they rotated to Aribo in there. But Aribo drops back much more to receive the ball with his back to goal, looking more like 4-3-3.

I like Aribo a lot, but that number 10 position is not for him
I know what you're saying mate, but today it was clear as day to me. My seat is quite high up and I have a cracking view and we defo went from 4231 with Glen and Lundstram as the two, to then having Aribo drop in beside them to make a three. Right after the goal. I'm honestly baffult, to use the bogtrotters' term.

I was just about to start this thread

Even more baffling when you listen to Gerrard wax lyrical about our first half performance

Baffling decision

Gerrard retreated as he is naturally a defensive manager or Beale is a naturally defensive coach, I said the same on another thread I started, Aribo going into the midfield 3 we lost control of the match

I know what you're saying mate, but today it was clear as day to me. My seat is quite high up and I have a cracking view and we defo went from 4231 with Glen and Lundstram as the two, to then having Aribo drop in beside them to make a three. Right after the goal. I'm honestly baffult, to use the bogtrotters' term.
I said exactly the same to my brother after the game, the minute we scored Aribo dropped into a 3 and Hagi went wide right
He never saw it that way but that’s how it looked to me.

I thought by bringing Davis on he was looking to settle for 1 0, however I think it's clear that Davis and Lundstram don't gel when on the pitch together. Taking off Hagi and Wright meant we just invited pressure on ourselves, first half was easily the best 45 minutes we've played all season just need the team to turn it into 90 minutes now.

Back