Official Women's Euro 2022

Well done girls, it was a good tournament with some good games and good goals and some good players too.

It’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but it’s not the worst either. Better than some of the fayre served up in Scotland at the highest level of our game up here.
HNds up watch womens football I don’t , until now wat he’s this tournament and enjoyed so did kids

I hadn't watched too much women's football before this but i enjoyed most of the games i watched in the tournament. There was an openness to the games that I found refreshing, as opposed to, for example, the turgid first 70 minutes we witnessed yesterday at Livingston.

As with women's athletics, tennis or golf, I enjoy it on its own merits rather than compare the standard to men's, and what really makes great sport for me is drama and emotion. Winning the Euros meant just as much to those women as it would to the men's equivalent.

I'll certainly watch the next big women's tournament. If others don't fancy it and prefer watching St Mirren v Motherwell or something, fair enough, different strokes and all that.

I hadn't watched too much women's football before this but i enjoyed most of the games i watched in the tournament. There was an openness to the games that I found refreshing, as opposed to, for example, the turgid first 70 minutes we witnessed yesterday at Livingston.

As with women's athletics, tennis or golf, I enjoy it on its own merits rather than compare the standard to men's, and what really makes great sport for me is drama and emotion. Winning the Euros meant just as much to those women as it would to the men's equivalent.

I'll certainly watch the next big women's tournament. If others don't fancy it and prefer watching St Mirren v Motherwell or something, fair enough, different strokes and all that.
Be funny hours World Cup next year mind pal, it’s down under!

The lift this incredible spectacle today has done for womens football will have far reaching benefits for their game in the whole of Europe and perhaps even further.
I'd imagine your daughter is absolutely buzzing after watching that and that's just fantastic!
She loved watching it all & will inspire her & others to keep playing & watching football.
I know a lot of people are saying the quality of football is no good but she doesn’t see it that way, hopefully this is the start of more money being invested into the womens game

Congratulations England. Delighted for Beth Mead. Hope this inspires more people to go along to the ladies game across the UK.

Glad to hear Wright pointing out the poor scheduling of the fixtures. Things like that need to be sorted to encourage growth of the game

Well done to the girls from all in NI .Apart from a few fleeting glimpses ,i'd hardly watched much womans football until this tournament .
I thought the keeper was really good in the games i watched,taking crosses and easing the pressure on the defence .Delighted for Jill Scott too.
Did a good job when coming on and a big reward for a long stint in the game .
Congrats to one and all .Brilliant celebrations .Milk every moment

Not sure why some outlets are saying this is England’s first major trophy since 1966.

Men’s football and women’s football are not the same event. They are, essentially, different sports.

England’s men have one major title. Now the women’s side have one too.
They aren't different sports. They are both association football and both played with same rules. Ergo same sport

Germany missed their top scorer badly. Some bad misses.

And, no doubt, we’ll still be hearing about it in 56 years time.

Ha, some funny arguments on here like.

People saying how crap the standard is and basically any male side would beat England. One chap saying he’s upset as the Darts is over and last week he could turn over to that as the football was crap. People getting wound up by this 56 year nonsense. Then one fella popping in saying he’s just pleased Rangers are back playing.

Haha, this thread has been a right laugh. The womens super league one will be a giggle for the coming season.

For those lambasting the quality. It’s true that it’s not as technical or as quick.

But there is a lot of goalmouth action. I’ve watched a fair amount of the tournament and although there were some huge mismatches and some poor goalkeeping - I enjoyed this far more than the 2010 WC or Euro 2016.

Living in England, as I do, I found the whole media circus surrounding the England team intensely cloying. It was all so ultra middle-class that I was turned off the whole affair over a week ago.

I didn't watch the final as I feared I might end up going apoplectic at the jingoistic commentary / punditry I envisaged would occur. (Don't know if this did happen, but would be surprised if it didn't).

Whilst trying to avoid interaction of any sort with the game tonight, I did stumble across some of the aforesaid middle class who really do need to urgently work on their goal celebrations...

This is a good thing.
Football is an ideal sport for women to play.
It is aerobic and without too much emphasis on muscle tone.
Notwithstanding that it is also great fun.

We have too many young women in this country who don't do enough sport/exercise and are waddling around in a state of obesity.
I am not defending men either, they aren't all that much better.
Getting plenty of exercise in your youth can be like money in the bank for later life, and it helps prepare you mentally for keeping a decent standard of fitness as you age.

The Lionesses have done the country a huge favour, we can at least hope.

This is a good thing.
Football is an ideal sport for women to play.
It is aerobic and without too much emphasis on muscle tone.
Notwithstanding that it is also great fun.

We have too many young women in this country who don't do enough sport/exercise and are waddling around in a state of obesity.
I am not defending men either, they aren't all that much better.
Getting plenty of exercise in your youth can be like money in the bank for later life, and it helps prepare you mentally for keeping a decent standard of fitness as you age.

The Lionesses have done the country a huge favour, we can at least hope.

This is a tremendous sentence :)

Tbf, I think there's just as many fat, unfit c.unts are men as women, probably more?

The level of obesity that we just accept in our populations is disgraceful, and a massive drain on the taxpayer / NHS in the UK.
Don't know what the stats are, but i expect the UK's still got a ways to go to match the USA for obesity, judging from the size of the whopping great pie munching monsters I see over here on a daily basis!

This is a tremendous sentence :)

Tbf, I think there's just as many fat, unfit c.unts are men as women, probably more?

The level of obesity that we just accept in our populations is disgraceful, and a massive drain on the taxpayer / NHS in the UK.
Don't know what the stats are, but i expect the UK's still got a ways to go to match the USA for obesity, judging from the size of the whopping great pie munching monsters I see over here on a daily basis!
Yes I mentioned men.
I don’t say it to be offensive to anyone.
It is just a tragic fact.
If women's football can change attitudes and encourage more active participation in the sport and sport in general it will save lives.
Life is better when you are fit and healthy to enjoy it.

Back