You won’t get out your own half when Borna Barisic plays

nelster

Official FF Paparazzi
Amongst the justified euphoria with our team tonight, go to sleep picturing this.

Teams know James Tav and Candeias will batter forward.

See Maribor tonight, overloading their left to try stop it.

Jon Flanagan left alone on our left, no left foot, no pace, great defender. They can afford to gamble and leave him free.

See when Borna Barisic gets in there (the best full back in Scottish football).

There is no defensive overload possible any more because we will just pop it left and Borna batter you down there.

To be slightly hyperbolic about it. Remember when we all wished Sergio Porrini could be like Arthur Numan (we bought Ricksen to try it).

We might get to see it 20 years later.

I cannot wait for Sunday.

Amongst the justified euphoria with our team tonight, go to sleep picturing this.

Jon Flanagan left alone on our left, no left foot, no pace, great defender. They can afford to gamble and leave him free.

There is no defensive overload possible any more because we will just pop it left and Borna batter you down there.

To be slightly hyperbolic about it. Remember when we all wished Sergio Porrini could be like Arthur Numan (we bought Ricksen to try it).

And he'll give the team better ballance down the left, could it be, that he may use Flanno.as a central defender and play 3 at the back.The boys a good defensive player and dosen't wander out of position too often.I don't think he deserves to be dropped from the team when our new left back comes into the fray.Weve now got so many good players that it's now getting harder to pick a team. Great feeling now i can go to my kip now and deeam of what's to come.

As the manager said, Barisic gives us options. Flanagan can be conservative one side while Barisic or Tav pushes up on the opposite flank. Barisic and Tav together can push up and really pressure poorer teams. A back five with those two at wing back offers another dimension entirely.

Only problem I see is teams will then sit back and have 11 players behind the ball . That’s where we need someone who will have the imagination to break the defences down

Sorry OP but you watched the best full back in Scotland tonight, wearing no. 2 and the captains armband.

As for Barasic
He gives us options
There’ll be games where Flanno is on the bench because teams will sit in and the 2 attacking full backs will play, there’ll be games where all 3 play. I can’t however see any circumstance where the blue Cafu doesn’t play.

Tav and Candieas are a great pairing down the right. Hopefully Barisic and Kent/Middleton can develop a similar partnership down the left.

Flanagan will be our utility player switching between right and left full back and the bench depending on who we're playing, tactics etc. SG will not be averse to putting Tav in the bench and playing Flan right back depending on any given situation.

I get the impression that everything will be very fluid. I'm not concerned at all about who plays and whose on the bench. Were building a squad to challenge on all fronts and we'll need everyone to play their part and they will.

Good times.

I'd play Tav for the first half and Flanagan in the second on Sunday so they get a bit of a rest.

Great options to have

Listen we don't need to play them all ffs.
It will be a very very long season if we keep playing like thon, we will need to rest all over our team, Tavi 1 week Katic the next bla bla bla. Only makes sense.

As a defender, Flanagan gives you a 7/10 or a above very game, he’s not easily dropped.

To have options at the back is a nice position for us to be in. If we are to progress, we’ll need squad rotation anyway.

I'll eat my hat if guys who know football inside out, like Gerrard, Beale & GMac, play Tav further forward.
This 100%

Tav should never and will never play further forward

Tav is a RB and a very fine one at that, it’s that simple

Furthest forward we’ll ever see him is if we go 3 at the back which will be or rare occasions (if any)

I don’t understand this notion of playing Tav further forward, it’s bat shit mental

Me too Nelster. I’m excited about seeing him already :)

And he'll give the team better ballance down the left, could it be, that he may use Flanno.as a central defender and play 3 at the back.The boys a good defensive player and dosen't wander out of position too often.I don't think he deserves to be dropped from the team when our new left back comes into the fray.Weve now got so many good players that it's now getting harder to pick a team. Great feeling now i can go to my kip now and deeam of what's to come.

Good point ruined by “Flanno” ! Such nonsense should carry a ban :D

Sorry OP but you watched the best full back in Scotland tonight, wearing no. 2 and the captains armband.

As for Barasic
He gives us options
There’ll be games where Flanno is on the bench because teams will sit in and the 2 attacking full backs will play, there’ll be games where all 3 play. I can’t however see any circumstance where the blue Cafu doesn’t play.

He is posted missing too many times. Out muscled at Aberdeen s equaliser. Great going forward, but.....

I think eventually we will play katic goldson flan with tav and barisic as wing backs midfield of jack couibally arfield morelos up top with another

That’s a great team and plays to our strengths.

Ge55ard has suggested different tactics in different games, but if we play with 4 at the back someone has to drop out which would be unfortunate as all are quality.

Fighting in Europe as well as domestically plus injuries and suspensions would perhaps come into play and this would allow us to keep the back 4 at times with one missing.

Another centerhalf is still a must though, and another striker to round out the squad.

He is posted missing too many times. Out muscled at Aberdeen s equaliser. Great going forward, but.....

He was fouled imo
That’s a good few times in the last few months Tav has for instance cleared off the line
His defending is improving game on game

Imo his best Rangers performance last night

There is not a chance Tav will play in midfield and not a chance anyone is forcing him into the bench. Flannigan will play when we need to be a bit tighter, the Croat will play when we are trying to break down 11 man defences. Both will play when we use wingbacks and 3 at the back.

The only way we fit all three in the side is if we play three at the back. Tav isn't a midfielder, people need to get that out of their skulls. He was sensational last night at right back, against a CL Team from last season. Why on gods earth would anyone want to move him position? F*ck sake.

Maybe Barisic can play further forward on the left as well? Who knows?

Flanagan gives us a great balance at the back and it's difficult to see him being dropped as well.

Reactions: M@x
This 100%

Furthest forward we’ll ever see him is if we go 3 at the back which will be or rare occasions (if any)

I don’t understand this notion of playing Tav further forward, it’s bat shit mental

I wonder if there are Spaniards on Real Madrid boards insisting Marcelo shouldn't be playing LB. Or if the Gerries are filling up Bayern Munich forums with similar discussions about Kimmich. Are Man City fans praying for the day that Pep sees sense and replaces the 'defensively vulnerable' Kyle Walker with a more conservative Right Back?

It's as if people don't realise that being a Left Back or a Right Back doesn't mean you're necessarily an out-and-out defender, and that most top full backs in today's game play more on the front foot and can be less than Baresi-like in their defending.

Gentlemen are we forgetting something. Scottish referees will dictate we have more sending off,s and suspensions than anyone else. So every player we have will be given ample opportunity to play in their favoured position .

This 100%

Because he can cross the ball. However, so can Barasic, so theoretically could play him in the midfield.

People just choose to ignore that the reason he gets the time and space is because of where he is bombing from. Play him in midfield and he'll get marked out of the game

Flanagan will be right back for us. Im convinced.
Tav will push forward

I disagree.

I think Tav is our right back and Flanagan the back up.

At best he’ll play as part of a three man central defence.

Ultimately though it’s a squad game and he looks like being a vital part of that.

I take it the OP means having two fullbacks who attack as well as defend?

The last time we really had this working well was 1991/92 season, Smith’s first in charge and Rangers scored over 100 goals in 44 league games and did the League & Cup double playing some wonderful football along the way.

Gary Stevens on the right and Davie Robertson on the left.
Gough and any one of Brown/Nisbet/Kutznetsov in the middle and you would have Spackman drop back when either or both fullbacks went forward to maintain a solid line at the back.
It was like clockwork that season and Rangers pummeled teams along the way.

It's a headache we could only dream about last season now having strength in depth.

Let's not forget the tireless shift Candeais puts in for every single minute he's on the park. I'd love to know the distance he covers in a game - easily seen from the stands but not so much from the couch!

Was watching the EPL launch on sky the other day. Sonething Kyle Walker said stood out...

“Normally, you have left and right footers on opposite sides so they can cut in. But Pep prefers us on our natural side so we can get crosses in and keep opposition defence stretched out wide.”

I didn't think what he said IS normal, but I wonder with Borna and Tav, could we swap them over at times? Candeais can cover Borna on the right, but could could cover Tac on the left? Kent?

I think we can afford to have 2 attacking fullbacks as long as the midfielders will cover sensibly (which Coulibally and Jack definitely have capability to do). Flanagan looks a good played but seems the odd one out, unless we're playing teams which have a bit more about them attacking-wise.
Also don't see us going with 3 at the back often because that effectively leaves Murphy, Candeias and Kent as odd men out, and I think all 3 will play significant roles all season.

I suspect, based on current squad, that we'll generally line up:

Tav Goldson Katic Barisic
Jack Coulibaly
Arfield
Candeias Morelos Murphy​

With Murphy preferred to Kent as a right-footed played being overlapped by a left footed player, so more likely to cut in but with the danger still existing. Against stronger teams (e.g. Europa league and Celtic), Murphy will drop out with Barisic pushing forward and Flanagan coming in to provide more defensive steel, meaning we're less exposed when Tav pushes forward.

Sadiq looks an impact player at the moment rather than a starter and I think the likes of Kent, Ejaria, McCrorie and Middleton will be role players with plenty of appearances off of the bench and games started when we have mid-week Europa league games.
I still think we pick up one more CB and a striker, though I think neither will be big names expected to come in to the first team immediately (though of course, Gerrard will be looking for people with capability to challenge for those spots).

Flanagan isn't getting dropped. I think he'll be part of a 3 man defence with Barisic and tav as wing backs.
Flanagan has really impressed me and our manager rates him highly, as said in his book.

I disagree.

I think Tav is our right back and Flanagan the back up.

At best he’ll play as part of a three man central defence.

Ultimately though it’s a squad game and he looks like being a vital part of that.
You might be right.

We will soon see.

I think we can play 3 at the back against most of the diddy teams in our league, they’ve been our banana skin the last couple of years but it’s about time we started bartering these smaller clubs so the games all but finished by half time and the likes of Middleton can then come on and punish them further. We are going to see teams sit in and come to Ibrox for a draw so we won’t need 4 defenders except versus the unwashed, sheep, hiv and Hearts maybe

Yep......noticed we had a free kick late on last night that was screaming out for a left footed shot at goal rather than Tav floating one in....Borna could be the man.

Back