Sports personality nominees

I thought the same thing about Sterling when I saw the list. Presumably it's because he scored a few goals at the Euros, as he's been on the bench for most Man City games in 2021.

I'm guessing (or it's pretty obvious) they had couldn't have a short list without one black person on it?

Surprised they didn't go for Mr Wonderful Marcus Rashford
donald-trump-wrong.gif

Why's John Stones not on the list instead of him then? could even argue Foden too even though he didn't start in the Euro Championships.

Incredibly nieve to not assume they need a black person on the list.
Did Stones or Foden get double figures in the Premier League last season?

Immediately assuming that he was only nominated because of the colour of his skin says more about you, really.

The first reply’s to you, crack head.

You’ve been punched too often in the head if you think Taylor merits SPOTY.

The second to the wider thread.
Mate as much as I dislike the team he supports and his independence BS he 100% deserves to be on the list at a minimum.

He is only the 5th boxer EVER to hold all four belts simultaneously and the first Briton to do so.

In comparison you have Sterling who lost 2 finals and won the Prem with a team expected to compete for all honours anyway.

Or Tom Daley who won one Gold after 4 Olympics.

The others deserve to be there IMO.

Stones is a defender mate so why would you judge him on his goals ratio?
When have you ever seen a defender nominated for SPOTY?

Not saying it’s right, but getting double figures as a winger is always going to be seen as more glamorous than a defender keeping clean sheets, regardless of skin colour.

The second is irrelevant, hardly rocket science to figure out, difference of opinion even this early in the morning, couldn't give a monkeys about Leith, who he supports etc his achievements in the ring merit a nomination imo. Please enlighten me why he doesn't whilst I chase the dragon :rolleyes:

Mate as much as I dislike the team he supports and his independence BS he 100% deserves to be on the list at a minimum.

He is only the 5th boxer EVER to hold all four belts simultaneously and the first Briton to do so.

In comparison you have Sterling who lost 2 finals and won the Prem with a team expected to compete for all honours anyway.

Or Tom Daley who won one Gold after 4 Olympics.

The others deserve to be there IMO.
Unique achievements usually count more. So being first brit to be undisputed in the 4 belt era is more impressive than being one player in a team who won the premier league (the award is largely given for what you win, not what you didn't, so losing in finals isn't usually held in as high esteem as what Taylor has done for example).

Not saying Taylor deserves to win, but looks like a strong argument to be a nominee

"With his win over Ramírez, Taylor became the second Scotsman to be an undisputed champion and the first Brit to do so in the four-belt era."

Why's John Stones not on the list instead of him then? could even argue Foden too even though he didn't start in the Euro Championships.

Incredibly nieve to not assume they need a black person on the list.

Sterling was the best player in England's team that reached the final of the Euros. He did a lot for his local community and had a successful year at City. Stop trying to be a controversial dolt just for the sake of it.

I’m confused as to why Taylor doesn’t merit award, I don’t know much about his life outside of boxing. Can you explain?

Unique achievements usually count more. So being first brit to be undisputed in the 4 belt era is more impressive than being one player in a team who won the premier league (the award is largely given for what you win, not what you didn't, so losing in finals isn't usually held in as high esteem as what Taylor has done for example).

Not saying Taylor deserves to win, but looks like a strong argument to be a nominee

"With his win over Ramírez, Taylor became the second Scotsman to be an undisputed champion and the first Brit to do so in the four-belt era."
I agree with you bud.

He 100% not only deserves to be there but a strong candidate for winning it.

I mean Fury only fought Wilder this year and he already beat him.

Fury is only there to gather interest for the whole shit show anyway as the rest have as much personality as Tysons middle finger.

The second is irrelevant, hardly rocket science to figure out, difference of opinion even this early in the morning, couldn't give a monkeys about Leith, who he supports etc his achievements in the ring merit a nomination imo. Please enlighten me why he doesn't whilst I chase the dragon :rolleyes:
The whole thing is irrelevant. It’s just a box ticking, nice, warm and fuzzy blowing smoke up the chuff nonsense that doesn’t actually mean anything.

You’ve proven my point there really, considering that was over 50 years ago :D

To be fair, if John Stones captained England to a World Cup win he’d almost certainly win it as well, regardless of his position or ability!
Your point was defenders never win it and I pointed out that a defender did win it but yet I've proven your point to be true?

Gotta laugh at people that hate losing arguments with strangers online.

Josh Taylor, the first undisputed 4 belt British World Champion in the modern era and he doesn’t even get a look in due to lack of coverage yet you have Sterling in. An absolute farce of a trophy. It’s an absolute shambles the lack of coverage Taylor gets for his achievements in this country.

What? Enough of Leith’s junk for you today.

You’re going to hate Team of the Year this year too.
A guy who is on the way to becoming the greatest boxer Scotland has ever produced and arguably one of the best pound for pound Britain has produced yet he can’t even make the list? Shambles. What he has achieved in such a short period of time is outstanding and regardless of political views or the team he supports he should 100% be in the running. If he was English this wouldn’t even be a debate……

Your point was defenders never win it and I pointed out that a defender did win it but yet I've proven your point to be true?

Gotta laugh at people that hate losing arguments with strangers online.
No, I asked when have you seen a defender get nominated, I didn’t say that it was literally impossible for a defender to be nominated.

The fact you have to go back over 50 years to find a nominated defender suggests your argument isn’t as good as you believe it to be.

Why's Adam Peaty on it and not Duncan Scott? Scott won 4 medals at the last Olympics and was the first swimmer to ever do this.
He’s from Alloa, we couldn’t have someone from Alloa on BBC Sports personality awards. That’s an unwritten rule within the BBC.
Alan Hansen had to make it clear he came from Sauchie and not Alloa before he got the “Match of the day” gig.

Josh Taylor, the first undisputed 4 belt British World Champion in the modern era and he doesn’t even get a look in due to lack of coverage yet you have Sterling in. An absolute farce of a trophy. It’s an absolute shambles the lack of coverage Taylor gets for his achievements in this country.
Fair few crackheads coming out of the woodwork this morning B-D but I agree 100%

Taylor’s achievement is impressive. However it was one fight in the calendar year versus a 4th ranked fighter at the weight class and he’s following it up with a gimme fight v Catterall.

Let’s not make out like he took the straps off a P4P king or anyone relevant in P4P discussions.

He won a fight he was long odds on to win!

SPOTY has been terrible for years. I used to love the ‘review of the year’ style, with decent coverage of some of the smaller sports I’m a fan of.
It was good when the BBC actually had the rights to live sport and you got a genuine review of the year’s sport, before Sky, 24 hour news and the internet made everything available at the touch of a button. Now it’s just arty farty pish with poetry and wokeness galore. I expect the majority of it will be about social justice and women’s football.

I can’t remember the last time I watched it all the way through. Probably the year Bobby Robson got a lifetime award presented by Sir Alex. That was genuinely emotional to watch.

Taylor’s achievement is impressive. However it was one fight in the calendar year versus a 4th ranked fighter at the weight class and he’s following it up with a gimme fight v Catterall.

Let’s not make out like he took the straps off a P4P king or anyone relevant in P4P discussions.

He won a fight he was long odds on to win!
The combined record of Taylor's last six opponents is 136-1.

Not to mention that he's ranked #5 in the P4P rankings by the Ring Magazine.

Sterling is on it because he was England’s best player and talisman on their way to a major tournament final for the first time in 55 years. Nothing to with colour of skin, utterly mental to suggest otherwise

Considering Michael Owen is the only striker to have won it I'd say it's just as rare that a striker would win it.
Gascoigne, Beckham and Giggs have won it as well, which means that 4 out of the 5 football winners have been wingers or attacking players.

It’s the same with the Ballon d’Or - Cannavaro was the last defender to win it, and only three defenders have won it in its entire history (Beckenbauer and Sammer are the other two). That’s not to say that there hasn’t been plenty of world-class defenders in football, but they simply aren’t as glamorous or as eye-catching as guys like Messi, Ronaldo, Pele, Maradona, etc. That’s just the way football is.

Have a look at all the football nominations from previous years, how many were defenders v players who typically score more than 10 a season

Players who score are generally rewarded with nominations for awards more than defenders. Is that news to you?

It's frightening how much you are digging to justify a comment that Sterling was only picked for being black
Admin are deleting your ridiculous claims of me being a racist because you are so wrong.

Be a proper Rangers man and apologise it's not hard is it?

You gonna ignore the post I made before that to you?

Twice now you have called me a racist with literally zero basis to your absurd claim.

What the actual fk is wrong with people like you anyway?

Supposed to be a fellow bear and you are calling me a fkn racist with no basis?

Have a word with yourself ffs.
I have never called you racist

The original basis of these messages have been to dispel the suggestion that Sterling was only selected for being black

I believe he has earned it on merit, you don't and think Stones or whoever should get it.

That's fine

Back