Hagi last night

RFC_LOYAL

What did everyone make of his performance?

Some of his movement and runs off the ball that weren’t spotted to play him in behind were very good. His part in the second goal can’t be overlooked.

He has great work rate but, as we all know, lacks pace. He had a lot of promising situations second half last night that probably should have led to at least one goal.

I thought the triangle of him, Tavernier and Aribo (when he drifted right) was very good.

Him and Aribo have a great understanding, the work Hagi does off the ball both attacking and defending allows Aribo to be in the right place to bring us on the attack most of the time and is often overlooked. His close control and ability to play in tight spaces is so important in games like last night.

I thought he played well overall, some ridiculous blocks prevented him getting one or two goals.

Worked hard, unlucky with a couple of runs inside to have shots on goal but other than that it was a typical Hagi performance - some good things, some bad things and the glaring realisation that his lack of pace on that right wing is hindering him and us.

There were a couple of balls played to him diagonally last night that you just knew he was never going to catch because he's slow. On a quick counter, his lack of pace is a real issue. There was one in the first half where he had to stop, check back and allowed St. J to get men back.

Hagi's problem is Aribo right now is the man in possession of the number 10 and also he's never a right winger in his life.

If Aribo goes, you'd assume he'll slot into the number 10 spot. Right now, I'm not sure he's worth building the attack around unless you surround him with pure pace.

I'd be tempted to sell. I don't think this league suits his style.

Has a lot of shots and crosses blocked because he’s not got the pace to get away from the defender. As said above, if we had to sell someone this window such as Kamara, Aribo, Kent or Hagi then I know who I’d want to leave.

He worked hard and did a few decent things. I was hoping he scored because he deserved it.
Aribo is turning out to be the player I thought Hagi was going to be

Thought he worked very hard last night and build up play was good.

Takes an absolute age to get a shot off, taking three or four ‘baby steps’ before pulling the trigger, which makes them very easy to block.

Offers something different in our attack, but ultimately fails to really hurt teams in the final third like he should given the amount of ball he has.

Played not bad with some nice touches but he’s still the player I shout o ffs at most during a game,can be frustrating to watch

Pretty poor & asking him to hug the touchline isn't goingto work long term.

Hes probably the one player that suited Gerrards system more than Gio's.

I actually really like him but if we get close to the £8M he's been linked with then I'd cash in.

He worked hard and did a few decent things. I was hoping he scored because he deserved it.
Aribo is turning out to be the player I thought Hagi was going to be
He’s also two years older and playing in his proper position though. Even last season people were complaining about Aribo’s consistency and how frustrating he can be.

Seems to me like Gio likes Hagi, he already seems to be playing more 90 minutes than under Gerrard and had a big impact on last nights game IMO.

Personally, for games against the likes of St Johnstone etc further down the table that will sit 11 men behind the ball I’d play Hagi where Arfield was

Baffled why Gio is also persisting with putting him out wide. Everyone can see it's not his best position.

I imagine we'll be under pressure from English clubs to sell Aribo in January/summer so Hagi may move into his preferred central role. It looks like The Boss likes him.

i thought he had a good game but as someone else pointed out ,a lot of his goal attempts seem to get blocked by him taking the extra touch or a momentary delay in his shot .is that a pace thing ,maybe but he's not a natural winger

I would sell.

If he could shoot and didn't take the wee pause before he hits a shot he'd be a far more prolific player. As it is he doesn't bring enough
He has all the technique in the world but has this odd shooting style where he takes an extra touch or half step. Far too slow to get his shot off, so they're often blocked.

His movement and attitude is great, but as others say, would rather he went than say Kent or aribo.

He is the one player who hasn't seen a lift in his levels since Gio has come in.

Has tons of ability and I can't fault him for his willingness to work. He offers plenty. But any suspicions I had that he had 2 or 3 more levels in him are fading a bit.

Happy he is a Rangers player, he will do plenty between now and him leaving that gets you off your seat. But to me he doesn't quite look to be fitting into the Gio revolution so far.

I would really like to see him have a shot in the Arfield role mind you.

What did everyone make of his performance?

Some of his movement and runs off the ball that weren’t spotted to play him in behind were very good. His part in the second goal can’t be overlooked.

He has great work rate but, as we all know, lacks pace. He had a lot of promising situations second half last night that probably should have led to at least one goal.

I thought the triangle of him, Tavernier and Aribo (when he drifted right) was very good.
As Gio said in his post match presser, he is ideal when we're facing teams that defend deep and in big numbers.
Craft becomes more important than pace.

Games like Tynecastle or the piggery, which will be more open, then Sakala's pace may be a better option.

Horses for courses.

Think we were holding out for 9million in the summer iirc

I think we overvalue our players, tbh. The fact we have such few bids and not sold anyone of note would suggest that.

6-7m would be a good return, imo. We can lose him without a massive impact.

He’s a good player though - don’t get me wrong.

If Aribo is happy to sign a new contract then Hagi would be a logical one to sell should we attract a worthy bid. If he isn't and a bid comes in for him then we sell and Hagi moves into central attacking midfield and we bring in a RW with pace.

Class little player. Has dips in form like everyone else but generally puts a shift in and never hides. He looks like a player who is trying to settle into a new way of doing things. I have no concerns for the boy.

Worked hard, unlucky with a couple of runs inside to have shots on goal but other than that it was a typical Hagi performance - some good things, some bad things and the glaring realisation that his lack of pace on that right wing is hindering him and us.

There were a couple of balls played to him diagonally last night that you just knew he was never going to catch because he's slow. On a quick counter, his lack of pace is a real issue. There was one in the first half where he had to stop, check back and allowed St. J to get men back.

Hagi's problem is Aribo right now is the man in possession of the number 10 and also he's never a right winger in his life.

If Aribo goes, you'd assume he'll slot into the number 10 spot. Right now, I'm not sure he's worth building the attack around unless you surround him with pure pace.

I'd be tempted to sell. I don't think this league suits his style.
His lack of pace means no top league will suit him. That's why he's at Ibrox.
If we get a decent offer....sell.

I like him a lot. Had a great attitude and willingness.

That said he does suffer from trying too hard to impress at times.

As others have said struggles out wide when a turn of pace is required.

Has a lot of shots and crosses blocked because he’s not got the pace to get away from the defender. As said above, if we had to sell someone this window such as Kamara, Aribo, Kent or Hagi then I know who I’d want to leave.
It's a real pity the boy isn't blessed with that little bit more physicality. He has a great football brain but lacks the athletic attributes so important in the modern game. He's one of those guys you are willing to do well because he tries his heart out for us and gives you everything ,but I'm forced to agree with others who identify Hagi as the player we can afford to lose in January.

Seems to take an age to get a shot away... there were a few times he had a good position to get a shot at goal but defenders closed him down and it was blocked.

I like Hagi, always puts in a great shift but he slows everything down especially when in transition.

Wide in a front 3 is definitely not his best position and he has our POTY in the position that suits him best.

If he was sold in January I don't think we'd miss him too much.

Back