Official Balogun and Firth officially gone

Right decision re. Balogun in my opinion. 34, injury-prone and at best the 4th/5th option. I'd rather those rotational minutes were used to assist the development of Leon King.

If all were fit and when playing the system with 4 at the back my CB 'depth chart' as it stands would be -

1. Goldson
2. Souttar
3. Bassey
4. Helander
5. King
6. Katic

I would be looking to bring in someone to replace Helander though and trying to move him on.
For me, I’d rather give helanders minutes to king. Then take it from there next season

McGregor has absolutely no interest in coaching or management, hates it, has said numerous times throughout his career.

He'd not be a good coach.
I’d heard he’s interested in coaching now that he’s older and has done his first set of badges? Might be wrong though

Balogun's been a great signing for a free transfer at his age. Contributed to an unbeaten league win, a record defensive performance while doing so, a Europa League final and a Scottish Cup win.

Believe it's the completely right decision from the club though as too many niggling injuries at this stage of his career.

Wish him all the best going forward.

Balogun has been an excellent signing as a 3rd choice free agent from Wigan, basically signed because Katic blew his knee. An undefeated league champion, cup winner and European finalist. Thought he may have got another year but maybe there's someone younger in mind. He wasn't without flaws but on a free he's been a fantastic servant.

Firth was a coach who could play in a crisis. Obviously popular in the training ground as well but it's probably the best time to move on with the management change.

Good luck to both - Leon was a solid player for us, hopefully he removes Furahashi from his back pocket before he leaves Glasgow.

Hopefully Leon has something lined up and him moving on is a mutual thing rather than him being ushered out the door, that would seem harsh on him. Same age as Scott Arfield, who we’ve just renewed. Has seldom let us down. Big call if we’re assuming Souttar will be fit enough to play more regularly and to the same level as Balogun has given us at times.

Balogun has been an excellent signing as a 3rd choice free agent from Wigan, basically signed because Katic blew his knee. An undefeated league champion, cup winner and European finalist. Thought he may have got another year but maybe there's someone younger in mind. He wasn't without flaws but on a free he's been a fantastic servant.

Firth was a coach who could play in a crisis. Obviously popular in the training ground as well but it's probably the best time to move on with the management change.
Great post.

I bet if you’d told Balogun that over two years with the club he would win a league title undefeated, a scottish cup and reach a Europa league final after playing 19 games in Europe in one season, he’d have laughed and said you were insane.

Significant downgrade Balogun > Katic IMO.
I doubt Katic is coming back unless he shows something preseason that we’ve not seen yet. I think Gio sees Goldson and Bassey as his first choice pairing with Souttar as backup and King as the young player coming through. We also have Hellander when fit and in an emergency Sands and Lundstram. I would have Katic 8th choice and Simpson 9th. Both will be let go IMO.

Wish Balogun all the best, served us well and I rated him.

Tells me bassey is staying with soutar and Helander and Goldson with king and possibly katic as solid back up.

Fair enough mate I’ve been misinformed.
Yeah he's regularly said throughout his career and in recent RTV interviews that he's no built for coaching and totally the wrong guy.

Wants to retire and that be it. no interests in being a coach or a pundit etc.

Great post.

I bet if you’d told Balogun that over two years with the club he would win a league title undefeated, a scottish cup and reach a Europa league final after playing 19 games in Europe in one season, he’d have laughed and said you were insane.
In the whole, one of the best pound for pound signings we've made in recent years.

Just thinking about Balogun's goals - as far as I can recall, he only scored in Europe. Is that right?

In which case how many players over the years have scored more than once for Rangers, all goals coming in Europe?
Not quite the same, but I'm sure that Davis had 4 consecutive goals in different cup competitions without netting in the league.

Porto - Europa League
St Mirren - League Cup
Celtc - Scottish Cup
Malmo - Champions League

Makes sense. Done very well for us but he's too injury prone and this will free up a wage that can be used elsewhere.

Would prefer Bassey at LB (unless there's a terrific LB coming in). Letting Balogun go is fine provided we have a suitable replacement. Goldson great, but Souttar & Helander have had attendance problems for years, so why should next season be any different? King is completely untested, Sands & Lundstram aren't CBs & Katic & Simpson won't be near the first team squad.

It's fine letting players go provided there are better players replacing them.

Balogun goes with my thanks and best wishes, he served us well but young King is the future and needs Game time.

Disappointed to see the big man go but I'd imagine injuries have played a part in the decision. All the best, Leon.

Very sorry to see Balogun go. He's been a terrific player for us and I'd have kept him if we could have.

Given we've got seven other options (Goldson, Bassey, Souttar, Helander, King, Katic, Simpson) in that position who are under contract I get why we can't keep him.

All the best Leon, thanks for everything! You're welcome back anytime!

Really disappointed in this. I have Balogun above Helander now due to Helander never been fit.

On his day he offers something different and is exceptional.

I'd have loaned King out personally and sold Katic.

All the best Leon. You played your part.

Balogun generally did well when he played, but no way was Gio keeping on a player who was so injury prone. We need players who have reliable fitness.

Correct decision. Balogun has been a solid free signing for us. But some people forget he had his fair share of rotten performances and ridiculous red cards. With Souttar, King and possibly Katić coming into the fold. I think our business in that position may be done. Ideally we'd replace Helander, but after 60 appearances in 3 seasons, he won't attract a lot of interest.

Hopefully the Firth news means McGregor stays as player-coach, with McLaughlin as #1. Another standard-setter staying around the squad without any detriment.

Just hope helander gets back to some consistency because Balogun was solid. Surprised at this.

Balogun was a great signing. Was never fit enough to be a starter in most games but very reliable replacement player when suspensions and injuries hit the team

Good luck to him and Firth

Back