Official Balogun and Firth officially gone

According to the Athletic, Balogun was on £13,000 a week at Wigan when we got him. We probably weren't paying him far off that as a back up.

That's a sizeable wage that can be used elsewhere when you consider Souttar's coming in on a Bosman and Katic is back on the wagebill.

Wouldn't be surprised if Katic gets Balogun's role as backup with just a year left on his contract.
Balogun started in a lot of really important games last season. Be shocked if Katic was to take that many important minutes next season

Balogun been really good for us but think it’s the right decision. Fact there has been no mention of McGregor basically tells us that he has a contract offer and still hasn't decided whether to retire or continue to play. A baffling decision to offer him a new deal but that’s for another thread.

Good luck to them both.

EDIT: I suppose McGregor would rightfully get a tweet dedicated to just him and not anyone else

Balogun has been a very good signing in a free but it is the right time to move him on

Goldson signing a long term sealed probably sealed his fate. I expect we will go with Goldson/Souttar or Goldson/Bassey in most games next season

King looks very capable as back up, Helander is a bonus if we can get him fit but we should try and move him and Katic on to free up wages

Balogun leaving feels like mistake right now, but I guess we need to trust the club.

Was only a couple of weeks ago he said in a couple of interviews that he wanted to stay and was hopeful something would be agreed and announced soon. Didn't sound like he'd be hard to deal with but I guess there was something that couldn't be worked out.

A fantastic free signing, a decent player and a thoroughly nice guy who is part of our history now, and will be welcome at Ibrox anytime.

Would prefer Bassey at LB (unless there's a terrific LB coming in). Letting Balogun go is fine provided we have a suitable replacement. Goldson great, but Souttar & Helander have had attendance problems for years, so why should next season be any different? King is completely untested, Sands & Lundstram aren't CBs & Katic & Simpson won't be near the first team squad.

It's fine letting players go provided there are better players replacing them.
Between Souttar and Helander I’d like to think one of them will be fit at any one time! King I think will become a bigger player this season. I don’t want another CB as it will just harm Kings development. More than enough in the squad that can play there if need be.

I may be wrong but sure I'd read somewhere ages ago Balogun intended to go back to Germany after this season, always liked him and wish him all the best and thanks for playing your part.

Maybe controversial to some but I don’t really rate Souttar. I think Balogun is better.
Maybe I’ll be made to eat my words but all I see is Souttar and the treatment table next season.

Good news.

No way could we have gone into next season with Helander, Souttar & Balogun.

Especially if we sell Bassey which is looking likely.

All the beat to both.

Good luck to them both.

Surprised that Leon is moving on.

I wonder what will happen with McGregor, maybe get his own announcement.
As am I, hope it doesn't come back to bite us on the bum! :(

I know he has had his injury problems but he has always turned up for us so I would far rather we had offloaded Helander who has been something of a disaster.

Big Balogun was a solid back up, however if we want to see King playing more, he will be one of the 4 CBs so probably not a place for him.

He's probably a victim of overcrowding in that part of the team given we never did manage to offload Katic and Simpson. With Bassey coming in and impressing it just made it all the more pressing to lighten the load.

Shame, he was effective backup. Certainly did his job well. I think if we can offload Katic and Simpson then go with Goldson, Souttar King, Bassey, Helander then I'm happy enough with that.

Balogun been really good for us but think it’s the right decision. Fact there has been no mention of McGregor basically tells us that he has a contract offer and still hasn't decided whether to retire or continue to play. A baffling decision to offer him a new deal but that’s for another thread.

Good luck to them both.

EDIT: I suppose McGregor would rightfully get a tweet dedicated to just him and not anyone else
I personally think McGregor has been offered a new contract to take Firths role as emergency goal keeper and is weighing up whether he wants that or to just retire. I wouldn’t be against him signing if it’s for that. He’s a homegrown club developed player that can take a free slot in our euro squad and can be used if there is an injury to John or Rory. If he’s been signed as a first choice pick then I worry about our judgment.

Loved Balogun, looked to be really struggling with fitness recently but played through the pain barrier. Always gave 100%. Probably the time to move on, the team needs a refresh.

There’s some cock dockets on that Twitter feed!

What’s with Goldson being called Goldfish? Who in their right mind thinks Balogun is better than CG and that CG should have left and LB stayed!

I'll go against the grain and offer my honest opinion, I'm glad Balogun is gone. personally. I thought he cost us a lot of goals last season with his all-round poor defensive play.. He was also fairly injury-prone.

Yes, he was ok, coming from an English League One club who didn't offer him another contract but for me, he all to often flattered to deceive - great ball playing centre-half when we were dominating, total liability when we were not. His own national team has dropped him.

Not a terrible player at all, nice guy by all accounts but no great loss. Glad our management team has higher standards.

He was definetly worth another year as cover at CB ans LB. Good luck big man, you bought Into us big time.

Balogun was a great servant but it's the correct call. We can't have three injury prone centre backs. I'd probably have rather sold Helander and kept him but I do think the few times Helander is fit that he is an absolute rock. We might even get rid of both and bring in one that suits Gio's style more.

I personally think McGregor has been offered a new contract to take Firths role as emergency goal keeper and is weighing up whether he wants that or to just retire. I wouldn’t be against him signing if it’s for that. He’s a homegrown club developed player that can take a free slot in our euro squad and can be used if there is an injury to John or Rory. If he’s been signed as a first choice pick then I worry about our judgment.

That should be the only reason McGregor is kept on to take on Firths roles. He can be 3rd choice and Colin Stewart’s assistant.

I'll go against the grain and offer my honest opinion, I'm glad Balogun is gone. personally. I thought he cost us a lot of goals last season with his lack of aggression, physicality and positional awareness. He was also fairly injury-prone.

Yes, he was ok, coming from an English League One club who didn't offer him another contract but for me, he all to often flattered to deceive - great ball playing centre-half when we were dominating, total liability when we were not. His own national team has dropped him.

Not a bad player at all but no great and no big loss. Glad our management team has higher standards.
Slightly harsh but not exactly incorrect assessment. He came in as emergency cover for Katic and did a job. He was never a first pick and I always had concerns when I saw he was starting. But he did a great job for us and I’ll always be grateful for his contribution to 55. I’m not sorry to see him go as he would have taken game time from King.

Surprised LB never got another year, best of luck to him, seems a decent big fella.

I am sure there is a plan to replace or maybe King will see a pathway to the first team as CB back up

I'll go against the grain and offer my honest opinion, I'm glad Balogun is gone. personally. I thought he cost us a lot of goals last season with his all-round poor defensive play.. He was also fairly injury-prone.

Not a terrible player at all, nice guy by all accounts but no great loss. Glad our management team has higher standards.

He was in 86 squads and played 65 games in 2 seasons.

I think the injury prone chat is a bit exagerrated tbh.

Disappointed we haven’t held on to Balogun.

Hardly put a foot wrong in my recollection.

Hope young King will be brought through as his replacement.

He was in 86 squads and played 65 games in 2 seasons.

I think the injury prone chat is a bit exagerrated tbh.

Goldson has played more than that in one season. When we really needed Balogun he was crocked...then crocked again. We've all but admitted he can't play 2 games in a week. That;s no use to us going forward.

I'm sorry though, he really wasn't that good and I'm glad he's gone.

Clearly the Management team felt the same.

Correct decision on both. Balogun has been a good servant to the club.

All the best to the pair of them.

Goldson has played more than that in one season. When we really needed Balogun he was crocked...then crocked again.

I'm sorry though, he really wasn't that good and I'm glad he's gone.

Clearly the Management team felt the same.
did he play more than jack and helander ?

Balogun is 33, will be looking for guaranteed regular football before he retires.
We couldn't guarantee him that.

Good luck to him, he was a great signing for us and never let us down.

Back