Non Rangers 2022 Summer Transfer Thread

Arsenal are leading the race for Fabian Ruiz, although Newcastle are also interested in the Napoli midfielder, according to Italian outlet Corriere dello Sport.

The Gunners have been busy in the transfer market this summer and completed the £34m signing of Fabio Vieira from Porto on Tuesday to add to the arrivals of Marquinhos and Matt Turner.

Arsenal going for it this summer.

Would assume they'll bin their attempts for Tielemans if they get Ruiz.

Abada just turned 20 and scored and assisted double figures in his first season...

CCV was the best defender in the league last season by a country mile.

A lot of waffle but nothing really said. Jota was nominated for POTY in his first season, Kent was poor domestically. I don't necessarily rate Turnbull that highly, but he's a midfielder who scores and assists - something we don't really have. As I said above, CCV was the best defender in the league and he strolled just about every game for them.

If Celtic get £10m+ was Turnbull then hats off to them. Not worth that IMO but it's more than we get for any of our "top" players.

Jota played left and Abada right a lot of the time.
Waffle, hahahaha. Permit me to rebuff your own waffle that said even less than I apparently did then. Aribo scored more than Turnbull and had the same number of assists in the league yet we don't have someone like that in our squad according to you. To save time I imagine the retort to that will be he would have averaged more than Aribo in contributions as he played less games. I give you Lowry who scored 1 assisted 1 in 4 games and would be on more than both if averages and ratios apply. You're wrong on this one.

I agree Kent probably had his worst season domestically since he joined in terms of numbers but he is still the superior player 1 vs 1 and what I said above about Jota is accurate. He started unbelievably well then stopped contributing as the season progressed, to the point Celtic fans I know aren't fussed if they get him permanently or not and were openly criticising him for not doing enough. First 3 months performances, as he was on fire, you might have a case, rest of the season, including Europe, where teams had figured out how to play him, then no. Being nominated for POTY awards in Scotland mean the square root of nada, as you should very well know, given how few times historically a Rangers player or manager has won the respective awards when it was merited.

On CCV, my main point was the amount of off the ball fouling he does that refs 'miss' he simply would not be allowed to do in a Rangers jersey. As he gets away with it where he is, his stats and performances are better than they really should be. Sands plays in central defence and is in squads ahead of him for the USA. That tells a story too. He isn't as good as Goldson or a fit Helander imo, obviously you disagree which you are entitled to do.

I’m very concerned by the domestic record since GvB came in
He’s changed his approach domestically half way through his tenure which makes me want to see more of it. Initially he played too conservatively and overthought his approach playing the likes of Ross County

Didn’t Kent get 19/20 assists last season JW ?
46 games
3 goals (pitiful)
20 assists

His assists have came up slightly from the season before when he got 15.
However he scored 13 goals in that season.

I’m a big Kent fan, have been since he signed on loan, but he must score more goals. Take away Morelos and Tav and we are screwed as we can’t rely on Roofe being fit

On CCV, my main point was the amount of off the ball fouling he does that refs 'miss' he simply would not be allowed to do in a Rangers jersey. As he gets away with it where he is, his stats and performances are better than they really should be.

This 100%, it's actually frightening what he gets away with.

Take a look at his European stats, He got the same amount of bookings as he did an entire season in the SPL.

And Goals against, just lol.

46 games
3 goals (pitiful)
20 assists

His assists have came up slightly from the season before when he got 15.
However he scored 13 goals in that season.

I’m a big Kent fan, have been since he signed on loan, but he must score more goals. Take away Morelos and Tav and we are screwed as we can’t rely on Roofe being fit

No doubt that 3 goals is very poor for his ability JW.

So Jota got more goals, but Kent got more assists.

And needs to target 10+ next season.

Borussia Dortmund have agreed a £30.2m deal with Ajax for Sebastien Haller, according to Sky in Germany.

Haller is expected in Germany on Thursday to complete a medical and sign a four-year contract with his new club.

No doubt that 3 goals is very poor for his ability JW.

So Jota got more goals, but Kent got more assists.

And needs to target 10+ next season.
Kent should easily be double figures each season, the problem is most likely down to the lack of balance in our play allowing defenders to double up on him, but his lack of composure at times and the fact he doesn’t attack the rear post definitely cost him goals imo

O1SwYUjB_400x400.jpg

The Ajax players celebrating going 3 up at the Bernabeu in their opening game of the Champions League next season.

Are you the guy that was going on about Celtic getting more points than us in the group stages last season?

You seem to love talking them up.

Bizarre.

Nope I've never said that, so why you talking pish?

Waffle, hahahaha. Permit me to rebuff your own waffle that said even less than I apparently did then. Aribo scored more than Turnbull and had the same number of assists in the league yet we don't have someone like that in our squad according to you. To save time I imagine the retort to that will be he would have averaged more than Aribo in contributions as he played less games. I give you Lowry who scored 1 assisted 1 in 4 games and would be on more than both if averages and ratios apply. You're wrong on this one.

I agree Kent probably had his worst season domestically since he joined in terms of numbers but he is still the superior player 1 vs 1 and what I said above about Jota is accurate. He started unbelievably well then stopped contributing as the season progressed, to the point Celtic fans I know aren't fussed if they get him permanently or not and were openly criticising him for not doing enough. First 3 months performances, as he was on fire, you might have a case, rest of the season, including Europe, where teams had figured out how to play him, then no. Being nominated for POTY awards in Scotland mean the square root of nada, as you should very well know, given how few times historically a Rangers player or manager has won the respective awards when it was merited.

On CCV, my main point was the amount of off the ball fouling he does that refs 'miss' he simply would not be allowed to do in a Rangers jersey. As he gets away with it where he is, his stats and performances are better than they really should be. Sands plays in central defence and is in squads ahead of him for the USA. That tells a story too. He isn't as good as Goldson or a fit Helander imo, obviously you disagree which you are entitled to do.

Well for starters Turnbull spent the majority of the season out injured.

Secondly, are you suggesting that you'd pick Sands over Carter Vickers?

Nope I've never said that, so why you talking pish?

Well for starters Turnbull spent the majority of the season out injured.

Secondly, are you suggesting that you'd pick Sands over Carter Vickers?
He played in 25 league games, 4 Cup games and 10 in Europe. Hardly missing the majority of the season going by that.

The point is the American manager is, who is far more qualified than you or I (though given your apparent nature you'll disagree with that too) so must see something in Sands he doesn't in CCV. As another poster alluded to, when he played in Europe he was carded multiple times, didn't get to foul as freely and obviously as he does here and was found wanting a lot more often than he wasn't against lesser opponents than ours faced.

Kent should easily be double figures each season, the problem is most likely down to the lack of balance in our play allowing defenders to double up on him, but his lack of composure at times and the fact he doesn’t attack the rear post definitely cost him goals imo

That’s fair.

He did attack the back post at the Theatre of Screams, and somehow knocked it past from about 7 yards JW.

But he needs to do that more often.

He played in 25 league games, 4 Cup games and 10 in Europe. Hardly missing the majority of the season going by that.

The point is the American manager is, who is far more qualified than you or I (though given your apparent nature you'll disagree with that too) so must see something in Sands he doesn't in CCV. As another poster alluded to, when he played in Europe he was carded multiple times, didn't get to foul as freely and obviously as he does here and was found wanting a lot more often than he wasn't against lesser opponents than ours faced.

I ask again, would you choose Sands over CCV?

I ask again, would you choose Sands over CCV?
I haven't seen Sands at CB other than once in order to make that assessment and neither have you if you're being honest. However, I've seen CCV enough to know I wouldn't pick him ahead of Goldson or a fit Helander though. Souttar is still to be determined.

Why are folk so obsessed with stats about Kent? Anyone with a working set of eyes can see he dragged us through parts of that European run, picking up the ball up and driving at players, not technically an assist but he won us penalties against Dortmund and Red Star.

Feel like folk are too obsessed with stats at times.

Vickers has played the last two games for the US in the Concacaf Nations League.

I’m not sure if Sands even made the squad - he wasn’t listed on the bench.

Vickers has played the last two games for the US in the Concacaf Nations League.

I’m not sure if Sands even made the squad - he wasn’t listed on the bench.

It's not even a debate who the better players us unless you're trying to be uber staunch tbh.

Why are folk so obsessed with stats about Kent? Anyone with a working set of eyes can see he dragged us through parts of that European run, picking up the ball up and driving at players, not technically an assist but he won us penalties against Dortmund and Red Star.

No doubt you’re right Derek, but I do think his finishing should be a focus to improve on this season.

Ironic thing is the staff at the club will be looking at stats, just not the ones readily available to general fans. He will have excellent stats when it comes to dribbles, ground covered, defensive work etc. Stats isn't just 'goals/assists/appearances.

It's not even a debate who the better players us unless you're trying to be uber staunch tbh.
It's not being uber staunch saying you can't judge his comparable ability unless you've watched him more than once in the position. He plays defensive mid for us but CB for USA. CCV, 24, 11 caps in 5 years, debuted 2017. Sands, 21, 7 caps in 18 months, debuted 2021. Their manager clearly sees something in him at CB. Either way, CCV doesn't start ahead of Goldson or a fully functioning Helander for me which I'm assuming was your original point. Clearly you disagree, which you're entitled to do, but I'd love to know which one he replaces and why in your opinion rather than just laughing at the suggestion without giving any reasoning.

It's not being uber staunch saying you can't judge his comparable ability unless you've watched him more than once in the position. He plays defensive mid for us but CB for USA. CCV, 24, 11 caps in 5 years, debuted 2017. Sands, 21, 7 caps in 18 months, debuted 2021. Their manager clearly sees something in him at CB. Either way, CCV doesn't start ahead of Goldson or a fully functioning Helander for me which I'm assuming was your original point. Clearly you disagree, which you're entitled to do, but I'd love to know which one he replaces and why in your opinion rather than just laughing at the suggestion without giving any reasoning.

I'm laughing because you're downplaying Carter-Vickers' ability based on the club he plays for. He came here last season and absolutely strolled it. He was comfortably the best defender in the league.

Comparing him to Sands is just funny.

I'm laughing because you're downplaying Carter-Vickers' ability based on the club he plays for. He came here last season and absolutely strolled it. He was comfortably the best defender in the league.

Comparing him to Sands is just funny.

If we are going to ridicule Yahoo CBs lets concentrate on Starfelt
£4.3m and would struggle to be the 6th choice in a combined Us&Them team

Back