Mark Hateley says Colak was a waste of time

ItsInTheNet

MARK HATELEY has slated Rangers striker Antonio Colak for his display against Union Saint-Gilloise in the Champions League.

The Croatian frontman led the line for Giovanni van Bronckhorst's team in Belgium, but he failed to make an impact.

It was a poor display all-round by Rangers and van Bronckhorst admitted that the Govan outfit were well off the pace.

They now have it all to do in the second leg at Ibrox next week and Gers hero Hateley was not impressed.

He told the BBC Sportsound: “It was a poor, poor show. Weak and blunt.

“We don’t even know if Union’s back three are any good.

“Is the goalkeeper any good? We don’t know. Union figured Rangers out after 25 minutes.

"At the end of the day, Rangers are very, very lucky to come away with a 2-0 defeat.

“You could see a second goal coming all second half. Then you worry about the third goal.

“Colak, for me, was a waste of time. If Morelos is playing there, the ball goes into him. Colak didn’t demand the ball.”

MARK HATELEY has slated Rangers striker Antonio Colak for his display against Union Saint-Gilloise in the Champions League.

The Croatian frontman led the line for Giovanni van Bronckhorst's team in Belgium, but he failed to make an impact.

It was a poor display all-round by Rangers and van Bronckhorst admitted that the Govan outfit were well off the pace.

They now have it all to do in the second leg at Ibrox next week and Gers hero Hateley was not impressed.

“Is the goalkeeper any good? We don’t know. Union figured Rangers out after 25 minutes.

"At the end of the day, Rangers are very, very lucky to come away with a 2-0 defeat.

“You could see a second goal coming all second half. Then you worry about the third goal.

“Colak, for me, was a waste of time. If Morelos is playing there, the ball goes into him. Colak didn’t demand the ball.”
Harsh?
Probably not.
Last night was a real low after the last four years.

You could see it weeks ago. Some people just don't like to admit what is staring them in the face.

He's rotten. The same way we knew Herrera was rotten after a few games as well. He's not suddenly going to turn into a world beater at 28-29.

He has started 5 games in a row which is more of a run than Cedric Itten ever got for us.

On current evidence it’s hard to disagree

He deserves more time to get used to our way of playing but I can’t help but think we’ve literally replaced a younger Swiss international who is suited to playing with a partner, with an older Croatian international who is suited to playing with a partner

All whilst we play a system that requires a lone striker.

Has it been another lazy signing? Time will tell.

It's a worry given he is our only striker at this current time. A real worry.

Does Gio look to promote from the B team to to create some competition? It's obvious Sakala is out of the picture now.

It's a worry given he is our only striker at this current time. A real worry.

Does Gio look to promote from the B team to to create some competition? It's obvious Sakala is out of the picture now.
I doubt Sakala will still be here come the end of this month.

I'm not as harsh on Colak as some, but what I will say is that I don't think he suits the lone striker role at all. It'd be interesting to see him with a strike partner.

Except that's not how we play, and hasn't been in a good while, so I'm not sure what's going to change because at 28 it won't be the player.

He was brought in specifically to cover Alfie for these type of early games. Shocking decision it is looking like so far but I will give him until the second leg personally

Everyone could see the second goal coming

Except our manager..

I’ll reserve judgment on Colak once he’s had a run of games and gets to know his team mates better. He was starved of service but It’s not looking great so far. He was brought in as back up to Morelos and Roofe because of their injuries. His CV certainly doesn’t inspire you. We need a big African boy or something with pace, Colak doesn’t have any pace so he doesn’t have a yard start on a defender to make space. Think he’ll score goals but he’s back up until we have injured players back. Maybe big Hateley is trying to get a reaction out him and fire him up.

He really doesn't move very much. Takes up a central role and is quite tidy when the ball comes to him.

We needed better but with Roofe, Itten, Sakala and Colak Ross Wilson has now failed 4 times to strengthen that area.

The team in whole were honking .Hateley didn't exactly endear himself to the support in his 1st season at Ibrox.

I still dont understand why certain players are being singled out, absolutely everyone was shite last night.

Goldson gave the ball right to them on the halfway line and if it wasnt for Mclaughlin it would have been 3-0, game over.

Its a huge boot up the arse for the entire playing and management team & we need a serious response from it.

Pre-seasons over.

Everyone last night was poor but the biggest culprit was the manager.

With the tactics employed I'm struggling to see what Colak was supposed to do? We were incredibly slow moving the ball and there were no runners from midfield. Even Alfie would have struggled last night.

This isn't an excuse for him (or others). But the biggest issue were the tactics and team selection.

Got to give him a chance, he’s hardly played for us yet, Hateley of all people should know this. That point standing the service he received was ridiculous and amounted to zero outwith one cross that I can remember.

He's a different type of player to Morelos so there's no use Hateley expecting him to be like Morelos.

He also received very little of the ball so it's strange to criticise him for not holding it. We basically shuffled from wing to wing.
Drop deep into the game then and get involved. Every good striker does it. God Harry Kane was doing it constantly at Ibrox. If it’s not happening up top come back and get involved. Drag defenders into areas they don’t want to be playing in. This is where Tillman and Matondo should fill that gap and keep moving causing confusion for their defence and defensive midfielder. We done none of that. A static front 3. Amazing against Livi we had something like 20 odd crosses into the box, and Colak was nowhere near any of them! He just doesn’t seem to have the positional awareness or know how to play the focal point of the attack role whatsoever. Headless chicken springs to mind. On early performances. He’s genuinely looking no better than Itten.

On current evidence it’s hard to disagree

He deserves more time to get used to our way of playing but I can’t help but think we’ve literally replaced a younger Swiss international who is suited to playing with a partner, with an older Croatian international who is suited to playing with a partner

All whilst we play a system that requires a lone striker.

Has it been another lazy signing? Time will tell.
You stole my post from last night! Either that or you need to get out of my head :-D

Seriously though, the parallels with Herrera, Itten and Colak are uncanny.

FFS, Hately didn’t kick his own arse for his first 4 months at Ibrox.

He’d do well to remember that. If FF was around then, he’d be called Scott Nisbet with a suntan who has been injured for most of the last 2 seasons.
I always find it funny when guys who played against teams that didn’t really have any tactical shape or discipline etc call out modern strikers who need to play against actual well drilled teams that the guys understand tactics and look after themselves etc,

Can’t say he was supplied with glaring chances or even half chances,The jury is still out but the blame for last night falls on every one of them none of whom got anywhere near pass marks.

Drop deep into the game then and get involved. Every good striker does it. God Harry Kane was doing it constantly at Ibrox. If it’s not happening up top come back and get involved. Drag defenders into areas they don’t want to be playing in. This is where Tillman and Matondo should fill that gap and keep moving causing confusion for their defence and defensive midfielder. We done none of that. A static front 3. Amazing against Livi we had something like 20 odd crosses into the box, and Colak was nowhere near any of them! He just doesn’t seem to have the positional awareness or know how to play the focal point of the attack role whatsoever. Headless chicken springs to mind. On early performances. He’s genuinely looking no better than Itten.

"Nowhere near any of them" - you mean apart from the one that he scored from which was wrongly disallowed?

You've got two wide guys who hardly dropped into that space at all. It took Lawrence to come on before someone decided to start doing it. We operated with a huge gap from Jack and Kamara to Colak so, what, Colak should drop in there and Jack will run in behind him? The whole setup was wrong and blaming the lone striker for not receiving the ball enough is way down the list.

Back