The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The twitter thread is pretty fair but you can't bring in the money we have in the last year and advocate we "save it for a rainy day" when we've got a noticeable hole in the team.
There is also the point that you need a modest ‘speculate to accumulate’ model to try to gain the automatic CL entry and the massive financial boost that brings. By leaving the squad with the same deficiencies as last season we are negligent in that respect.

Was.

Hes on fucķ all per week now. Wherever he ends up he won't be earning anywhere near that.

I never thought we were getting barkley, however.
He will still get 60-70k a week wherever he ends up and a healthy SOF.

He has barely kicked a ball since he left Everton but people thought he’d just stroll up here and be the best player in the league.

“We are not a CL club anymore”

Winning the SPFL gets you in the CL.
I’ve actually just made that point there to Andy.

There will most likely be automatic CL qualification for the league winner over the next 4-5 years, possibly even longer if Russia and Ukraine continue to be affected by the war. So one of us will be a champions league regular so the risk may be worth taking.

Of course it's feasable. We might just have won the league and/or Europa League last season if we had more striking options. Fair play to Aribo for scoring in final BTW, but we really missed a proper centre forward. Even in his 2 minutes on the park, look at what Roofe was able to do, just by using movement which comes naturally to a striker.
Look at the drop off in quality between Alfie and Roofe to Itten. What quality are we getting to be 4th choice? I'd rather have Lovelace or Ure playing

Far too sensible for some of the fantasists on here.

We need to become self sustainable and one good year financially doesn't get us there.

Don't know what planet some people are on.

Here's the thing though if being self sustainable means we'll be outspent by that lot to the tune of £10-15m every single summer then we're pretty much admitting that we are to just happy to put up a half decent challenge and nothing more.

Continue doing that for several years and revenue falls dramatically which in turn weakens the team further.

Only two ways Rangers will be profitable first is downsizing the second is funding the team to a decent level which pays off through European runs and player sales.

Continue funding the side at the level we are now and in a few years time European runs won't happen.

We need to win the league this season to get into CL next season to guarantee the funds , that should be our No1 priority and the European games are a bonus.
The squad we have need to step up starting on Saturday v Scum.
I agree with this 100%. The league should be the priority and CL is a bonus. If we win the league we have CL anyway for next year and more importantly the money that comes along with it. Absolutely everything should be thrown at the league. Whatever we achieve in Europe this year should be a bonus as this competition is a massive step up from the Europa League.

I would have liked a right winger but I think it is clear now that Matondo was purchased to fill that position despite usually playing LW.

It looks to me like we've struggled to move one or two players on as the squad is still a wee bit large.

Our squad is too big, even after shifting the 'deadwood' and that's the problem. Wage bill is astronomical. Clearly we needed to sell the likes of Sakala, Helander, Roofe and potentially Kamara to get the revamp we all probably craved this summer.

I posted earlier on today that the club needs to get much better at getting value for money from the squad we already have. Likes of Roofe and Helander are simply not sustainable assets to have, no harm to them both, they are cracking players but we can't afford to keep gambling on players with spotty injury records.

Hagi and Ofoborh is just honking luck. Roofe, everyone knew what to expect with him and he came with a heap of cavaets. Helander had a fairly spotty injury record too, but it was slightly better than Roofe's.

Based on the coefficient as it stands now mainly thanks to our efforts in recent seasons, yeah.

But I think the point he’s making is that may not be a sustainable state of affairs longer term and that the more realistic/baseline expectation going forward is that both us and them will flit between the CL and EL season on season depending on draws etc. I don’t think that is an unreasonable suggestion such is the level of competition to get into the CL.
It’s the pragmatic way to look at it . We can’t bank / budget on CL qualification as it’s getting harder and harder for teams fr9m small countries to qualify.

The financial picture would have been a lot bleaker had we not gone on them 4 Europa league runs. That Ufa game was key.

How would you feel if there was a plan to safeguard the club? Build up cash reserves and ensure stability for an extended period? Not simply assume that every year would be positive and have a buffer rather than the potential of a bad season plunging us into a financial crisis? How about ensuring that we are able to move in all windows rather than shooting our bolt in the summer and having little flexibility outwith loans come January time?

We’ve lived with the fear for 2 decades that a bad season on the park could mean a financial disaster off it. It left us vulnerable to what happened in the end with the spivs. We never fully recovered from the Advocaat era due to the decisions that were made in the market at that time. We’re still not able to get proper credit facilities. Everything done in recent years has helped to establish us as a top club again, we’ve gained respect across Europe on the park and now we will hopefully restore our reputation as a well run business. Fans live off emotions but clubs can’t be run on that basis.

Good post this and I'll admit what you're saying sounds sensible. Ultimately it's not a point of view I agree with for lots of reasons.

If that is the boards plan and thinking then they have ways and means of getting that message out to the fans - and they haven't done so.

Perhaps this is something they should be better at although I won't hold my breath as it seems I've been hearing people ask for better communication all my life and it's probably as bad as it's ever been.

Skimmed it. Is the crux that we're shoring up our finances and keeping any money made for a rainy day?
There is no rainy day fund from what Inread there.
We’ve front loaded to get to this remarkable point and full credit to the Board, Gerrard and particularly Gio for steering us here. Thinks we need a £30m reduction so £70m becomes our normal sitting point

Well put and explained by Andy.

I see there's been a few mentions of the previous years losses being irrelevant as the loans were converted to equity. I *think* Andy's point might be that we don't want to be in a position again where loans are required, or at least not on a regular basis, to cover big losses.

I'm as disappointed with everyone else that we didn't strengthen, particularly the right wing position, but we can't just keep adding players to a bloated squad and wage bill.

I also look at a possible scenario next year of Kent and Morelos potentially leaving for free and us not making the Champions League again. That's two players who'd need to be replaced for big money but where would it come from? I know that speculate to accumulate now is one way to mitigate that, but it's a big risk.

Last edited:
How would you feel if there was a plan to safeguard the club? Build up cash reserves and ensure stability for an extended period? Not simply assume that every year would be positive and have a buffer rather than the potential of a bad season plunging us into a financial crisis? How about ensuring that we are able to move in all windows rather than shooting our bolt in the summer and having little flexibility outwith loans come January time?

We’ve lived with the fear for 2 decades that a bad season on the park could mean a financial disaster off it. It left us vulnerable to what happened in the end with the spivs. We never fully recovered from the Advocaat era due to the decisions that were made in the market at that time. We’re still not able to get proper credit facilities. Everything done in recent years has helped to establish us as a top club again, we’ve gained respect across Europe on the park and now we will hopefully restore our reputation as a well run business. Fans live off emotions but clubs can’t be run on that basis.

Great post, mate.

Our squad is too big, even after shifting the 'deadwood' and that's the problem. Wage bill is astronomical. Clearly we needed to sell the likes of Sakala, Helander, Roofe and potentially Kamara to get the revamp we all probably craved this summer.

I posted earlier on today that the club needs to get much better at getting value for money from the squad we already have. Likes of Roofe and Helander are simply not sustainable assets to have, no harm to them both, they are cracking players but we can't afford to keep gambling on players with spotty injury records.

Hagi and Ofoborh is just honking luck. Roofe, everyone knew what to expect with him and he came with a heap of cavaets. Helander had a fairly spotty injury record too, but it was slightly better than Roofe's.
We must have had well over £100k pw in wages unavailable vs PSV.

The Hagi injury irritated me as was no need for him to be playing in that game and thought he was a saleable asset who we wouldn’t overly miss.

A just don’t accept this “repeat of 2012” and “save it for a rainy day” stuff when we’ve broke our transfer sales record, qualified for CL, reached a EL final and gotten rid of several squad players. Its not too much to ask the board to spend a bit on a couple of quality players to help up continuously reach this level and to compete domestically

Ross Barkley was on £170k a week.

People don’t really believe we were ever interested in bringing him here surely? :))
And he’ll sit tight all through September until some team are struggling and bring him in and dish him out £100k per week minimum

The Hagi injury irritated me as was no need for him to be playing in that game and thought he was a saleable asset who we wouldn’t overly miss.
Stop looking at players as assets, our job is surely to enjoy players as talents?

Have we upgraded the overall squad this window?

Bassey out, Yilmaz in - a downgrade but a definite prospect.
Balogun out, Souttar in - may be a better player but even more injury prone.
Simpson out, Davies in - upgrade but it would not have been hard to upgrade on Simpson.
Tillman in. Aribo out - i think Tillman will be better than Aribo.
Lawrence in, Ramsey out - he will definitely contribute more than Ramsey
Matondo in, Diallo out - too early to judge but at least he is our player.
Colak in, Itten out - a definete upgrade.

Overall i think our squad has improved.
However historically we would strengthen if CL qualification was done. To not add a striker even on loan when potentially our only current match fit striker is Colak is a huge gamble. Go 5 points behind on Saturday and on here will not be fun.

I agree with this 100%. The league should be the priority and CL is a bonus. If we win the league we have CL anyway for next year and more importantly the money that comes along with it. Absolutely everything should be thrown at the league. Whatever we achieve in Europe this year should be a bonus as this competition is a massive step up from the Europa League.

define "absolutely everything" ?

and another thing, do you think this current squad aren't good enough to win a league title?

There will most likely be automatic CL qualification for the league winner over the next 4-5 years, possibly even longer if Russia and Ukraine continue to be affected by the war. So one of us will be a champions league regular so the risk may be worth taking.

Don't think it could be for aslong as that think definitely the next 2 years the champions will go straight in but if you fall out top 10 then I think its 4th round again?

Austria aren't far behind us they have 3 teams in Europe as do Belgium. Rest we have a decent gap but us, tims and whoever else need to make contributions to keep us in that top 10.

Here's the thing though if being self sustainable means we'll be outspent by that lot to the tune of £10-15m every single summer then we're pretty much admitting that we are to just happy to put up a half decent challenge and nothing more.

Continue doing that for several years and revenue falls dramatically which in turn weakens the team further.

Only two ways Rangers will be profitable first is downsizing the second is funding the team to a decent level which pays off through European runs and player sales.

Continue funding the side at the level we are now and in a few years time European runs won't happen.
Sums up my thoughts on that thread very well. Sustainability is essential but I think we're erring on the side of caution too much.

It smacks that we're cutting our cloth and accepting soft title challenges against a rival that consistently outspends us. Maybe we'll nab a title whenever their team comes to an end of a cycle as all sides do, a wee treat for us all.

Clearly whatever we're all saying on this thread though, the sheer number of highly-paid injury-prone or long-term injured players we've got is a massive factor. That's a serious whack of money tied up on Helander, Roofe and Hagi. Souttar won't be on buttons. The first two should've been sold this summer, but that's impossible when they're currently injured. Very frustrating.

My silver lining is that young players should be given the chance now, and hopefully they grab it. McCann, Lowry and King look ready. The management feel Devine does too. Lovelace will be there soon enough.

That doesn’t necessarily need to be the case. Man Utd have the biggest net spend in Europe for the last 10 years for example but have won next to %^*& all?

Everton in the same time frame have outspend Liverpool also.

Spending £5m wisely and spending £20m recklessly will both wield different results

Far too sensible for some of the fantasists on here.

We need to become self sustainable and one good year financially doesn't get us there.

Don't know what planet some people are on.
Self sustainable teams still fix their squad when there is a noticeable problem with it.

The whole argument we are just being frugal is absolute copium. We haven't even spent half of the transfer fees we have earned this year never mind the EL final and CL income.

Andy McGowan practically saying what I said earlier on this and other threads only to be met with "aye but loans were made into equity!"

Ross Wilson has also been signing up some good young talent that we are hopefully will breakthrough soon to avoid spunking senseless millions!

I like Andy's point of view on things and he is pretty much agreeing with what you say - but he knows no more than the rest of us do I'm afraid so it's perfectly reasonable to disagree with both his, and your, opinion on it.

As I said before when I replied to you none of us have the numbers in front of us and know the inner workings of our finances.

My opinion won't change, and I suspect yours won't either, but that's fine.

Ultimately those advocating for financial conservatism have got their way this time and we can all just hope it doesn't bite us like last year did.

Thanks mate. Here's the thread for Twitter no-likers/no worky folkies (i count myself in that btw).

@Fbearblue

All very balanced, considered and well articulated, but the bottom line then is that we should never really expect to spend much more than £10m in any window even though our only real rivals may spend double?

If that’s the case then, we probably need to accept that self sustainability also likely comes with a lesser ratio of success compared to them.

Neither side can realistically budget for being 5IAR league Champions to bring in the money, be horrible practice

Nailed it!

This is what all those who back the board and the excuses being trotted out don’t seem to comprehend.

If this is the norm you better be prepared for the odd trophy here and there. Look at any league in Europe, typically the richest win the titles more often than not.

We can go on about how we have to live within our means etc, and that’s fine. Just don’t then expect trophy laden years as our main rival continues to outgun us financially.

This saving for a rainy day plan, is risky because with Rangers you are only ever 2 games away from a crisis or to use their word “a rainy day”, with window then closed we can’t do anything about it till January. We have a hell of a week coming up that has the potential to be a few amazing days or a few rainy days and be too late to fix it. I understand with Euro squad points but if we are saving it for the sake if it then it’s a daft idea

Hagi was clearly in Gio's plans though. Sadly injury robbed him of any kind of consistency or form last season. Then he got the big injury against Stirling bastarding Albion of all teams and that was that.

The unavailability of Roofe, Helander and Jack last season was far more frustrating to me. Jack missed most of the first half of the campaign. Helander most of the entire season and Roofe was his usual on/off again.

I like Andy's point of view on things and he is pretty much agreeing with what you say - but he knows no more than the rest of us do I'm afraid so it's perfectly reasonable to disagree with both his, and your, opinion on it.

As I said before when I replied to you none of us have the numbers in front of us and know the inner workings of our finances.

My opinion won't change, and I suspect yours won't either, but that's fine.

Ultimately those advocating for financial conservatism have got their way this time and we can all just hope it doesn't bite us like last year did.

Andy I believe works in finance, so without direct access to the full finances then of course its just his opinion.

But there is clearly a lot of sense been spoken there instead of some of the emotive bollocks I've read on here tonight!

Andy from H&H makes lots of good points. Some of it them are fact and some of it up for debate, but those parts are his opinion and he puts it across well.

I’m also in agreement with Martyn from H&H in this thread, sums it up well:

Very good points

In general the club's communication with the fans is appalling on many levels, from the finances and transfers to ticketing through to injury updates on our players. It creates a dangerous vacuum

Stop looking at players as assets, our job is surely to enjoy players as talents?
You are correct. Maybe as an accountant and after what we have been through I look at it both ways.

Hagi is talented but too slow and thought we could have sold him and replaced with better/more suited given some of the fees that were being quoted for him at the time.

Our rivals for the league title have backed their manager to the tune of £44.7m across his 3 transfer windows.

How on earth can a Rangers manager compete with that constant level of investment long term, season after season?

Money doesn’t always equal success but 8 times out of 10 the team with the highest wage bill and transfer fee’s paid will win the league, never mind in a 2 horse race.

say what?
Isn't it a gamble us 'bringing' in players for our youth side, and expecting them to hit the ground running, and make the grade quicker than normal?
So we don't have to go out and buy quality?

Isn't that not putting too much pressure on the kids?
Couldn't we just have a balance for once.
Since we made the CL this season, and made some 'good' money last season?

Or is that too much to expect?

Madness reading that.

Said Celtic are also a Europa League team.

Nearly every window they are averaging about a £10/15m spend.

We are told there that a normal season is a £70m turnover, similar to the 55 season where we could only afford a couple of free transfers and Bacuna on buttons.
Spending £10/15 million every season is pretty average for a top end europa league team. Thought it was quite easy to see the point he was making. Both rangers and Celtic will budget their team to be a europa league team. I think that’s a fairly good way to look at it really. Both will never be able to maintain a champions league standard, europa is more likely.

All the sustainability chat etc is all well and good.
But we've spent minimum £9-10m on Yilmaz, Davies and Matondo. These guys need to be starting games asap. If we're prudent and well run, surely figures like this need to be playing. Let's see what they've got. Whether they do or not remains to be seen. Focus then switches to RW, Gio etc.

Nailed it!

This is what all those who back the board and the excuses being trotted out don’t seem to comprehend.

If this is the norm you better be prepared for the odd trophy here and there. Look at any league in Europe, typically the richest win the titles more often than not.

We can go on about how we have to live within our means etc, and that’s fine. Just don’t then expect trophy laden years as our main rival continues to outgun us financially.

Or maybe the hope/expectation is to develop an academy that means we don't have to spend as much. This is an obvious strategy given the staffing appointments and a lot of focus on youth signing.

Lowry, McCann and King are three current examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back