Gerrard appears trackside next week. What kind of reception is he getting?

GEODGC

Official Ticketer
It’s highly likely he will be one of the pundits. I noticed that during the Liverpool v Ajax game the pundits were standing trackside, quite close to the Ajax section.
As a support - what kind of reception will he get?

Personally, I’ll always have admiration for the guy. That 55 season gave us some unbelievable moments and created memories that will last a lifetime. I was obviously disappointed in the way he left, but time is a healer and I bear him no animosity. Has the wider support forgiven him though?

Don’t get forgiveness in a year for walking out when he did in style he did. Best he stays out of being a pundit for all involved this game
Gerrard got us 55 and Gio got us a Scottish Cup and the most amazing European memories. The timing rankles particularly because the cracks we still need to fix were still there so he did leave us in the lurch highlighted by the Hibs Hampden shit show he left his team to handle disastrously on their own.

Gerrard got us 55 and Gio got us a Scottish Cup and the most amazing European memories. The timing rankles particularly because the cracks we still need to fix were still there so he did leave us in the lurch highlighted by the Hibs Hampden shit show he left his team to handle disastrously on their own.
Nothing to do with Gio then I struggle to make out the rest of your reply sorry. He was all big talk about being happy then jumped weeks later. Showed no respect to the club. Souness offered to stay on yet was held against him that he left for a long time. This whole “ be our pal” pish with Gerrard and Beale needs to stop. We move on

He should get a good reception. The guy dragged standards back up to where they need to be from the shambles he inherited.
That's his real legacy for me, 55 was SG's crowning moment but where we were in May 2018 to reaching a European final in 4 years is actually still quite unbelievable and even although Gio took us on that final journey Steven Gerrard deserves massive admiration for that and certainly gets it from me.

Steven Gerrard gave us our pride back.

Unless they're not going to another job (like Advocaat, for example), does a manager ever really leave at the 'right' time? Often it's due to sackings of other managers.
Leaving before a cup semi final so the new guy has no time to make his changes etc. is always bad form, no matter how much people spin it.

I will bear him no ill will but still not happy with how he basically fucked us over then.

Others have left and been always well respected.Jock Wallace instantly springs to mind

Reactions: TQ3
Some really need to put their big boy pants on.
He did a fantastic job into making us competitive again and bringing the pride and standards back.
I am forever grateful for that.

He left and we move on. Was it the best timing?
No, but that’s just football. Had he been shite and been sacked at the same time of the season, no one would give a shit.

Leaving before a cup semi final so the new guy has no time to make his changes etc. is always bad form, no matter how much people spin it.

I will bear him no ill will but still not happy with how he basically fucked us over then.

Don’t disagree that it was a bad time but unless the league was won, it’ll always be a bad time for a Rangers manager to leave.

Souness is still well thought of within our support and he did similar to Gerrard.

Still get a few zoomers saying he's a Judas etc

Roasters would boo, the majority of normal people would respond positively.

Was at the managers night last and at the raffle a Gerrard item was auctioned and no one reacted negatively.

Souness is still well thought of within our support and he did similar to Gerrard.

Still get a few zoomers saying he's a Judas etc
Not by all, you could say what Souness did was not as bad as Gerrard as he did not take our whole management/coaching team.
Souness's interviews at the time of leaving us was up there with Whittaker and Naismith.

Good reception if it wasn’t for SG we would be nowhere near probably 2nd or 3rd best in league never mind what’s happened in Europe recently so always have soft spot fir STEVIE G

He of course should be well received but we have a number of rockets in our support who would embarrass themselves.

Reactions: VGM
It’s highly likely he will be one of the pundits. I noticed that during the Liverpool v Ajax game the pundits were standing trackside, quite close to the Ajax section.
As a support - what kind of reception will he get?

Personally, I’ll always have admiration for the guy. That 55 season gave us some unbelievable moments and created memories that will last a lifetime. I was obviously disappointed in the way he left, but time is a healer and I bear him no animosity. Has the wider support forgiven him though?
He would get a great reception and rightly so.
Anyone who wouldn’t give him a good reception has a very very short memory.
Anyone who thinks differently all I would say is ‘he gave us our club back’

Back