Gerrard appears trackside next week. What kind of reception is he getting?

It’s highly likely he will be one of the pundits. I noticed that during the Liverpool v Ajax game the pundits were standing trackside, quite close to the Ajax section.
As a support - what kind of reception will he get?

Personally, I’ll always have admiration for the guy. That 55 season gave us some unbelievable moments and created memories that will last a lifetime. I was obviously disappointed in the way he left, but time is a healer and I bear him no animosity. Has the wider support forgiven him though?

He will need tuning in that's for sure.

The only people who held Rangers standards before Gerrard arrived were the fans! Murty, Perdro et al were a sham, and embarrassed the club with no shame.
He gave us 55, beating the tinks, good runs in the Europa, and most importantly our pride. Rangers are back on the map thanks to Stevie and his team.

I doubt he will be anywhere near either game ,if he is I would imagine he will sneak out the back door after telling everyone who would listen he wasn't going anywhere

Not by all, you could say what Souness did was not as bad as Gerrard as he did not take our whole management/coaching team.
Souness's interviews at the time of leaving us was up there with Whittaker and Naismith.
I'd imagine the backroom staff wishes to stay at Ibrox who knows but in general terms both left for 'better' options

the way he left wasn't ideal but i don't think he was capable of taking us any further so I'm not fussed he's away

absolutely no reason for him to get a poor reception

He will get a standing ovation from our fans and rightly so he is the man that brought us title 55 and after everything that went before he will rightly be in our greats.

I would be ok with him. I don't like one of his members of staff, Critchley. He walked out on my other team, Blackpool.

The man who helped re build the club, won 55 and restored our reputation in europe?
och, lets all boo him cos he sneaked oot the back door:rolleyes:

A stirring round of applause .

He’l certainly be getting applauded from me. I don’t get the jilted ex vibes from a lot of our support over this.

forget him leaving , forget the lack of cups and everything else

Imagine right now , he and we hadn’t stopped the 10
They would be crowing for decades and it would be unbearable.

And to top it , he brought us our name back in Europe

Nothing but applause from me.

Not by all, you could say what Souness did was not as bad as Gerrard as he did not take our whole management/coaching team.
Souness's interviews at the time of leaving us was up there with Whittaker and Naismith.
well if it wasn't for Gerrard, the backroom team would no have been there in the first place, it was Gerrard's backroom team not Rangers', Souness had no kunt to take with him when he fooked off, so there is that rather massive difference

It’s highly likely he will be one of the pundits. I noticed that during the Liverpool v Ajax game the pundits were standing trackside, quite close to the Ajax section.

Personally, I’ll always have admiration for the guy. That 55 season gave us some unbelievable moments and created memories that will last a lifetime. I was obviously disappointed in the way he left, but time is a healer and I bear him no animosity. Has the wider support forgiven him though?
He should receive the upmost of respect, I believe that’s the Rangers way.

anyone still being negative on Gerrard after all he's done for us, should get a fooking grip, and deserves a swift kick to the kunt/nuts

Absolute admiration from me too. He owes us nothing imo. He gave us 55. We got £4.5 million compensation for him. We got £30 million for Aribo and Bassey, two of his shrewdest signings which cost buttons. He transformed Patterson into a £12 million pound asset. Like it or not, he galvanised the fans and brought us back from obscurity. We now have an excellent and strong base and we have Stevie Gerrard to thank for most of that.

It’s too soon. I’ll just stick to the voodoo doll.
There was a serious amount of man love for SG. Maybe it was a bit unhealthy. It was a sad day when I made the decision to get rid of my full size Steve G cut out. Tears were shed.

well if it wasn't for Gerrard, the backroom team would no have been there in the first place, it was Gerrard's backroom team not Rangers', Souness had no kunt to take with him when he fooked off, so there is that rather massive difference
Backroom teams do not necessarily always follow the manager out the door.
Souness could also have taken the backroom staff at the time and Smith so I do not get that comment, Smith would not have left as he was a Rangers man, unlike Souness.

forget him leaving , forget the lack of cups and everything else

Imagine right now , he and we hadn’t stopped the 10
They would be crowing for decades and it would be unbearable.

And to top it , he brought us our name back in Europe

Nothing but applause from me.
There was never a ten there was never even a 9 they were awarded a trophy for an unfinished season when they still could be caught.
You cannot do a ten against the dross and count it the same as when we did it.

He might get a few comments of 'snake' from some zoomers but overall he is well thought of in our support.
Grateful for his contribution.

Snaked his way out.

Won’t be concerned about who is appearing on the touch line either…turns out to be Kylie in hot pants it might be different though.

Time‘s been a healer for me, came in and turned us from a joke taking regular pumpings by that lot into being a contender in Europe and having their number.
won 55 and stopped terry munro.

Clubs in a much better place now , hope he goes on to have a good career.

Well it’s at Anfield so he’ll get an amazing reception obviously, same as he will if he came to Ibrox.

I don’t see him being there as a pundit either
Yeah same. He’s a Premier League manager, sends a terrible message to the Villa support of where his heads at tbh.

Of course, I couldn’t give a fvck now.

He would clearly be a big draw for BT at these games but I have Villa fans in my family in Brum and I think they would want his full concentration on Villa.

Backroom teams do not necessarily always follow the manager out the door.
Souness could also have taken the backroom staff at the time and Smith so I do not get that comment, Smith would not have left as he was a Rangers man, unlike Souness.
Gerrard got the backroom team together, so their loyalties were to him, Souness never had that kind of relationship, so the situations were not comparable, Smith was always gonna get the job at that time, which was the reason Murray made Souness leave on the spot rather than wait till the end of the season.
Bottom line is, if Souness is welcomed back with open arms so should Gerrard

If the chance arose, I'd shake his hand and say thanks. Otherwise, I'd give him a cheer. Simple as that.

Was shit the way he left and timing but so was Souness. I won’t be booing him.

He was instrumental in the success we’ve had since he’s left as well as 55 so I’m over it.
Souness did it like a man though by facing the press and not saying goodbye to the fans with some half assed misspelt insta pish.

Yes I was really fucked off with Gerrard and the manner that he left but I've got over it.

Gerrard got us 55 and Gio got us a Scottish Cup and the most amazing European memories. The timing rankles particularly because the cracks we still need to fix were still there so he did leave us in the lurch highlighted by the Hibs Hampden shit show he left his team to handle disastrously on their own.
I understand what you are saying, But did our board promise him funds for the transfer market to strengthen the team, then not come up with the money. The board at the moment seems to be doing the same with Gio. The manager of Rangers, has to be able to trust the board, if they say they will back you, then they have to do it. If not, no manager worth his salt will stick around with any club that doesn't match the managers ambition . Because ultimately when results flounder, it's usually the manager that gets his marching orders. The board just carry on.

Gerrard got the backroom team together, so their loyalties were to him, Souness never had that kind of relationship, so the situations were not comparable, Smith was always gonna get the job at that time, which was the reason Murray made Souness leave on the spot rather than wait till the end of the season.
Bottom line is, if Souness is welcomed back with open arms so should Gerrard
When Souness left his job was done.Put us back on the map.He was chased out before the season end to go to Liverpool the team he's a legend for.
Gerrard left with job half done to go to Villa.
Just saying.

I hope we give him a good reception. I also hope we dont boo the Liverpool anthem. Remember its Liverpool's song not theirs.

When Souness left his job was done.Put us back on the map.He was chased out before the season end to go to Liverpool the team he's a legend for.
Gerrard left with job half done to go to Villa.
Just saying.
not how I see it, but like I said, Gerrard should be welcomed back with open arms

Back