World Cup 2022 Costa Rica v Germany, Japan v Spain, Canada v Morocco, Croatia v Belgium - Thursday 1st

Football fans are learning what tennis fans have known for years, about the whole of the ball, including its curvature, crossing the whole of the line.

#HawkeyeLoyal

Football fans are learning what tennis fans have known for years, about the whole of the ball, including its curvature, crossing the whole of the line.

#HawkeyeLoyal
Without revealing too much, I used to be regularly down at the MoD establishment where Hawkeye (and loads of other clever technologies now in common civilian use) was invented.

If I were a referee, viewing the VAR images (I know this ref didn’t go and look), I’d have given a goal as it’s impossible to say for certain that the ball has fully crossed the line.

What makes it even more interesting to me was that the referees call was that it was out of play. He chopped the goal off and awarded a goal kick. VAR then in his earpiece changed his decision and awarded the goal. And still no proper digital image from FIFA?

Morocco won the group on merit. Plenty people seem to be forgetting that.
Irrelevant, and I'm sure Spain ain't forgetting that. They'd rather play Morocco than Croatia in a WC knock out match 100 times out of 100 if given the choice, regardless of anyone's group stage form.

If I were a referee, viewing the VAR images (I know this ref didn’t go and look), I’d have given a goal as it’s impossible to say for certain that the ball has fully crossed the line.
What gets me is why the feck VAR final decision needs done by the on field ref. If the guys in VAR room are all qualified Grade 1 refs, and have all this tech and angles and ability to discuss with each other, why does the on field ref need to ever go look?

What gets me is why the feck VAR final decision needs done by the on field ref. If the guys in VAR room are all qualified Grade 1 refs, and have all this tech and angles and ability to discuss with each other, why does the on field ref need to ever go look?

Because the point is that games shouldn’t be re-reffed.

“The referee’s decision is final”.

Because the point is that games shouldn’t be re-reffed.
But it's being re-reffed even if the original ref is the one overturning his own decision?

Plus, if they're all qualified to the same standard and following the exact same ruleset and refereeing objectively, the on-field ref's decision after viewing VAR will ALWAYS be the same as the VAR room refs anyway, so it's just wasting time.

Reactions: VGM
But it's being re-reffed even if the original ref is the one overturning his own decision?

Plus, if they're all qualified to the same standard and following the exact same ruleset and refereeing objectively, the on-field ref's decision after viewing VAR will ALWAYS be the same as the VAR room refs anyway, so it's just wasting time.

I agree with you just pointing out their logic

I agree with you just pointing out their logic
I can't think of any other job where if you make a lady's front bottom of something as proved by and agreed between multiple colleagues with equal qualifications/credentials as you but with access to more/better intel than you, they go back to you to make the final decision anyway?

Reactions: VGM
6-AA06251-3-AB0-4-AF3-AB3-C-EF5592185-DF2.jpg

Case closed
wwe-popcorn-big-e-gif-3xkNUy3Vh8QbPmJZjK
eating-popcorn-oh-yeah.gif

#HawkeyeLoyal
I actually can’t believe how many people still don’t understand this tbh. It’s been the case for a loooong time.

#HawkeyeLoyal
They don't use hawkeye technology though do they? Given the ball has cleared the line in terms of the part touching its nothing more than a guess. You also can't guarantee that the picture has been frozen on the exact frame the ball was furthest away from the pitch. Its crap that they've overturned that decision based on trying really hard to give the goal. The original decision should have stood based on the fact that they can't prove it either way. Rugby is good in that respect.

I think a lot of posters are not understanding the following points:
  • Due to the positioning of the cameras pictures that appear to show the ball being out from a straight on view are not actually straight on, and are from an angle giving a false position of the ball.
  • The still images being shown are taken from freeze frames from live video - this reduces the quality of the picture and gives a false image.
  • Dependant on the contrast and brightness a false bloom is shown on the pictures, which further increases the false image.
  • Due to the limited framerate the only view showing from above cannot show the actual moment the ball is hit, it does show it being in but it may have gone out but not been captured by a video frame.
  • The Germans are arrogant c*nts and supporters across the world are quite happy to see them go out due to a dodgy goal.
  • The dodgy goal in question wasn't even in their game, which is all the sweeter.
Always happy to explain things.
Hi Doc. I hope, eventhough I am German, I am not an arrogant c..t. The team went out due to their own inabilities, no whining about a Japanese goal that might by off line. But why always these bad feelings in general. Always open for critic, but there seems some inexplicable and unnecessary undercurrents.

Hi Doc. I hope, eventhough I am German, I am not an arrogant c..t. The team went out due to their own inabilities, no whining about a Japanese goal that might by off line. But why always these bad feelings in general. Always open for critic, but there seems some inexplicable and unnecessary undercurrents.

You started it!

Looking at Germany's main red top the headlines aren't about Japan's goal and VAR but the dropping of points earlier in the competition plus the flight home being organised before their match for Friday afternoon!

I actually can’t believe how many people still don’t understand this tbh. It’s been the case for a loooong time.

It's impossible for the naked eye to judge where the spherics of the ball start and finish so it's always been a case of if the contact area of the ball is out then the ball is out of play.

It's up to VAR to prove that the spherics of the ball mean it hasn't left the field of play and thus far they haven't proved it. We need to see what the official who overruled the onfield officials saw.

Should be quite easy to produce these I imagine.

It's impossible for the naked eye to judge where the spherics of the ball start and finish so it's always been a case of if the contact area of the ball is out then the ball is out of play.

It's up to VAR to prove that the spherics of the ball mean it hasn't left the field of play and thus far they haven't proved it. We need to see what the official who overruled the onfield officials saw.

Should be quite easy to produce these I imagine.
It absolutely hasn’t.

Back