John Brown's testimonial in 2001

Now there is a Man who actually deserved a Testimonial.

Too often people get Testimonials because theyre just hung about for ages.

Think of the word, Testimonial, something that showcases qualities or contributions. Arguably Bomber did that for Rangers as well as any Player from that era.

Player like John Brown are the sort who Rangers should look to keep involved as long as they can, whether it be Coaching, Ambassadorial, In-house TV or just saying Hello at the Bars and Restaurants.

2-1 defeat to Anderlecht if I remember correctly. Think caniggia scored for us that day. Bomber, now there is a true Ranger!

Best compliment I ever heard about Bomber came from one of them must admit he was a decent guy ran the Football team in the scheme ,anyway he says one day I would have John Brown in my team everyday of the week and he was right.No Scotland Caps for Bomber is just wrong.

Report here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/1450453.stm

FYLYV6BWAAwxSTa.jpg

Bomber is a great guy. Met him a couple of times in Ibrox while working there, also at Hampden last year for the SC semi when he was wandering about at the kiosks. Great guy and had time for everyone wanting a photo. My father in law clocked him straight away and asked for a picture, big man was only too happy to oblige and had a wee chat for a few minutes.

Proper legend for Rangers and a player with a spirit and desire to win for the jersey that some players only wish they were blessed with.

They just don’t make them the same way anymore unfortunately.

What a player Bomber was and not a bad chanter ..stood beside him at San giro ( he was out injured) in the days where we'd take nearly 20k to their midden ..surprisingly he knew all the songs

Always mind being at Dens in the 80’s and bomber scored against us, me as a teenager shouted *** at him.
Guy behind me says that’s one thing he’s no pal.

What a player Bomber was and not a bad chanter ..stood beside him at San giro ( he was out injured) in the days where we'd take nearly 20k to their midden ..surprisingly he knew all the songs
Player coach I think for our reserves at the san giro - my only visit and even then I couldn't believe how poor the construction looked and felt as we bounced all over it. Anyway he came over to warm up to the sound of bomber bomber give us the sash and he didn't disappoint

My memory is very vague on this as I was about 11 but we bumped into him right before that game.

It maybe wasn‘t right before kick off but it makes for a better story that he was late for his own testimonial.

When I was younger I hated him as he always seemed to score against us. I actually thought he was one of them. How wrong I was. Enjoyed a beer with him years later at a supporters club function. What a chanter he was... :))

The inability of Bomber to make even a substitute appearance in the NIAR season is perhaps the one black mark on that memorable year.

I believe Walter wanted to be able to give him that appearance which he richly deserved after the league was won, but due to the extent of the injuries he'd picked up over the years as he played through injury after injury this was impossible.

We should never forget John Brown's willingness to get out on the street and call for action against the spivs when the best that we could get from many of our former stars was a minor disapproval in the papers. I honestly believe that his efforts should be marked in some way.

I've met him and sat at the same table as him, but I never had the balls to even talk to the man.

To me, he is the greatest ever Ranger, and I feel a sense of failure in myself that I have never thanked him personally for his efforts.

I would still really love it if I were given the opportunity to thank him personally. Maybe one day...

The inability of Bomber to make even a substitute appearance in the NIAR season is perhaps the one black mark on that memorable year.

I believe Walter wanted to be able to give him that appearance which he richly deserved after the league was won, but due to the extent of the injuries he'd picked up over the years as he played through injury after injury this was impossible.

We should never forget John Brown's willingness to get out on the street and call for action against the spivs when the best that we could get from many of our former stars was a minor disapproval in the papers. I honestly believe that his efforts should be marked in some way.

I've met him and sat at the same table as him, but I never had the balls to even talk to the man.

To me, he is the greatest ever Ranger, and I feel a sense of failure in myself that I have never thanked him personally for his efforts.

I would still really love it if I were given the opportunity to thank him personally. Maybe one day...
What was his final appearance? Anyone know?

A testimonial is something you don't see too often these days.
because they were final tax efficient financial thanks yous for long service in an era when footballers earned just a little more than the average Joe.

The Testimonials for already very rich men, with property and pub empires that happened around these times (or in the case of Larsson, a multi-millionaire whose loyalty bonus was paid by the fans) showed that they were hangovers from a bygone era that had totally lost their original purpose.

Charity, career cut short or nothing these days.

Looking back on testimonials, fun to see players wearing jerseys you were sure they'd worn whilst playing and didn't.

Like Laudrup wearing the first ntl kit

What was his final appearance? Anyone know?
Just checked, and he was part of the starting line-up in the Laudrup Final against Hearts.

What a fitting way for a true Rangers great to go out.

However Wikipedia has Bomber down as making 1 appearance in the 96/97 season. Does anyone know if this is correct? I'm assuming that it was in the League Cup or in Europe, because I'm certain that he didn't manage a league match in that season.

Make no apologies for saying Bomber is one of the greatest living Rangers.

He put his career and reputation on the line for the club after 2012 whilst others hid.

He gets no where near the respect form our support he deserves.

Last edited:
When playing for Dundee he busted his balls against us and them plus scored lots of goals into the bargain. His attitude was that if you wanted a move to the old firm then you have to do it against both sides.

We played Dundee on boxing day 1987 and he gave as good as he got against Souness in midfield and apparently that prompted Souness to sign him a few weeks later.

He was a very skilful player that he does not get a lot of credit for. He was the heartbeat of the team in 92-93 and drove us on.

Always loved the stories about him being ready in full kit about 90 mins before kick off in games against them and having to blow into a brown paper bag as he was hyper ventilating because he was pumped up.

He was an unbelievable signing. Would run through a brick wall for the cause. Played multiple positions. No surrender attitude.

Why are there no players like him anymore?
There are, we can't afford them. What a player he was. A goalscorer when you needed a goal, a defender who had no problem putting Cantona into his back pocket when Cantona was the best player in England. Never struggled v celtic ever and drove a team of internationalists forward in arguably our greatest ever team. Will love him forever.

There are, we can't afford them. What a player he was. A goalscorer when you needed a goal, a defender who had no problem putting Cantona into his back pocket when Cantona was the best player in England. Never struggled v celtic ever and drove a team of internationalists forward in arguably our greatest ever team. Will love him forever.

Yeah, I agree.

What I meant was we got him for a bargain in amongst the high profile signings. He really was a surprise in terms of how he was able to take his performances to a higher level than probably what most people expected. He flourished amongst better players playing in a jersey that many find too heavy for them.

A hidden gem who was right under our noses.

Back