The Negative Impact of our supporters .

We are the best and the worst.

This season there have been highs & lows. The last few games the team, for whatever reason, stopped playing have left us on the brink of gift wrapping them the league. Can we win at Saville arena and can we still win this league? fkn right we can! but if we are all honest it’s a head and heart thing.
Players will always get it tight when not performing but will be praised when they do.They have our shirt, on their backs it’s up to them how they deal with it.
At Rangers, there are no prizes for finishing 2nd and maybe we are too big for some.

The supporters tanked our season at Ross County and Dundee?

Dullest take on here, blaming the fans for the teams failings. Seems to be a narrative some folk just want to cling on to for some reason.
Spot on. Totally agree, bizarre take imo.

I'm pretty sure in the last few Parkhead matches, Rangers have been given a rousing send off by supporters from Ibrox.
The kind of send off you would think stirs up real do or die spirit. However in actual fact we've ended up somewhere between timid and shitting it on the park.

Comments like like “I bet this c.unt will miss this I’m telling you he’s definitely going to miss this” followed up by an almost self congratulatory “What did I tell you, I f.ucking told you” and then laughed.
He does nothing but moan about Tav and Goldson every game and can’t t wait for them to make a mistake.
Hope that clears things up for you.

He'll not have to wait too long in a game for the dynamic duo to make mistakes.

However, if true, it's not the best.,.

Fans have an impact positively and negatively, loads love to bum themselves up when the atmosphere is great and helps the team, see games like Leipzig, and then pretend acting like spoilt kids and abusing players doesn't matter when things aren't perfect. It works both ways

When was the last time he team shit themselves against Celtic? I keep reading this narrative on here.
We have beat them twice in nearly three years, one being a meaningless game after the League was lost. 2-0 down at half time at Ibrox in the most recent game, 1-0 down after 30 seconds is the definition of bricking it. If there isn't a mental block with the players then got to just say that Celtic are a much better team than us looking at the results in this fixture, but I don't buy that. It's a mental thing for me at this point. We seem to start playing better after the game already looks lost or we've thrown away silly goals, so it's not a question of ability.

Timing is everything.
Even if I agree with a lot that you say it is not time appropriate to whine about such matters when we have a chance however remote of winning a treble.
Clearly the negative stuff from supporters has got to the playing squad and not helpful.

I think we’re pretty much in agreement outwith the fact that it shows the players probably aren’t cut out to be Rangers players if criticism is getting to them to that extent.

anyway, 4-0 Saturday to the bears

And there's the word right there. 'Could'.

Not 'will'.

Everyone was all together last time out till the captain fcuked it 30 seconds in.

The final whistle sounded at Dens Park a couple of weeks ago.
Jesus, do you really think like that? There is never, ever a 100% ‘will’ in Sport. Indeed, our history, is littered with overcoming adversity. It has frequently happened in reverse against us too. Will we win the league? Probably not.
But we’ve overcome odds stacked much more against us.

Tell you what, if the fans think we ‘fucked it’ after 30 seconds of the old firm game then that is a poor show. That game is a perfect example of never giving in. Who knows, that point might prove absolutely crucial. The biggest way NOT to win, is to have your attitude.

We have beat them twice in nearly three years, one being a meaningless game after the League was lost. 2-0 down at half time at Ibrox in the most recent game, 1-0 down after 30 seconds is the definition of bricking it. If there isn't a mental block with the players then got to just say that Celtic are a much better team than us looking at the results in this fixture, but I don't buy that. It's a mental thing for me at this point. We seem to start playing better after the game already looks lost or we've thrown away silly goals, so it's not a question of ability.
we came back from 2 nil down then 3-2 down , how is that shitting it?

Does that mean Celtic shit themselves because they couldn't defend a lead

The manager has had 1 draw and 1 defeat against them (and if the game had been refereed right we would have won game )

This will be a tasty thread.

Whilst I agree the mindless abuse is out of order, recently I’ve been very reluctant to come down on fans too hard.

People seem to forget that it’s the fans that sacrifice the most, financially and otherwise. We kept the club afloat during the bad years and during COVID. There has been a season ticket waiting list for years despite relatively little domestic success. We bought into the everything from everyone that PC championed, turned up in numbers to Dingwall and Dundee and were rewarded with two calamitous performances from the team. And it’s not the first season in recent times that has happened.

Again I’m not condoning abuse of any Rangers player, but in terms of the general feeling of the support sometimes - most of the time it’s justified.
that sacrifice (in my case) is because I love this club. not because I feel I am owed anything in return by any player ever.

its a league competition , yes we lost to Motherwell and County and drew with Dundee, and thats why we lost the league?

just maybe Celtc drawing with Motherwell and St Johnston at home and Hibs away followed again by draws at Aberdeen and at home to Kilmarnock with a loss to Hearts gave us the chance in the first place.

As I say its a league competition, nothing special about us as fans, boo our own, judgemental as %^*& and as for giving up, we are well ahead of any of the players

we came back from 2 nil down then 3-2 down , how is that shitting it?

Does that mean Celtic shit themselves because they couldn't defend a lead

The manager has had 1 draw and 1 defeat against them (and if the game had been refereed right we would have won game )
I'll change my mind when we start beating them mate

The support from when clement came in to a month or so ago was brilliant. Even when things were not going quite right, the fans were in full voice. Little negativity within the stadium.

Regardless how this season pans out, we need to get back to that for next season.

People pay money to see Rangers win. Fans have been more than patient and supportive of the club and when the team wasn’t great people understood that. Now however , there is no reason this team shouldn’t be points ahead and coasting.

The support from when clement came in to a month or so ago was brilliant. Even when things were not going quite right, the fans were in full voice. Little negativity within the stadium.

Regardless how this season pans out, we need to get back to that for next season.
I said to my son when Clement incredibly started to get results out of what was a dead team that I’d be happy if he delivered one or two of the cups and got us out of our Europa group but countered that with we weren’t winning the League with Dessers and Lammers etc.

Then what do you know they got themselves into a title race but I still wasn’t convinced.

The run of results and the cup win has bought Clement much needed time,imagine if it had continued to implode,but it also put the expectation levels of many through the roof “ We’ll thump that mob at Ibrox” I heard all around me…” eh no we won't” was what my head was saying.

Clement has a huge summer in front of him. I think we’ve found our fit and I wish him well.

Last edited:
The lack of belief the fans have in the players stems from the lack of belief of the players themselves.
Sunday, Killie down to 10 men and a chance to make a dent in the goal difference. Our players showed nothing for the last 20 minutes.Most were happy to see out time.
A few of them play like they are going through the motions not going for a treble, they know the damage was done at RC and Dundee.

If you don’t like criticism, you can always go and play for St Mirren for £1,500 a week and be happy with a mid table finish.

I cannot accept any criticism of the fans who have stuck by the same squad of utter failures for so long.

Such a lazy argument.

Butland, Sterling, Diomande, Sima, Cortes, Dowell, Dessers, Lammers, Danilo, Silva, Balogun all signed in the summer, McAusland promoted from within, Souttar (46 games), Matondo (35 games) , Raskin (22 games), Ridvan (47 games between last season and this season), Lawrence (56 games) all out for huge chunks of the last couple of seasons.

Which leaves who? Goldson, Tav, Barisic, Lundstram, Wright, Jack, Davies, Roofe - the latter 4 who have played the equivalent of 42 games between them (3787 minutes), and while we've taken a dip in recent weeks, we've got the best defensive record in the league which as has been pointed out many times suggests it's not the defense at fault for dropped points, especially when we've all commented on the number of chances we make without scoring.

They've not even stuck by this squad for a season, never mind "for so long".

Funny that... When we took 60 out of 66 points the support was brilliant but then we dropped points and the support was not so brilliant.

Between that and the post after yours it's almost like there's a bunch of fairweather fans who only sing when we're winning rather than getting behind the team through thick and thin.

The lack of belief the fans have in the players stems from the lack of belief of the players themselves.
Sunday, Killie down to 10 men and a chance to make a dent in the goal difference. Our players showed nothing for the last 20 minutes.Most were happy to see out time.
How many times have we exceeded a 4 -1 against Kilmarnock and how many times does a 10 man team get tanked by us anyway ?
Edit
And I mean by more than 4 goals as of yesterday.

This team will be absolutely dreading Saturday , beat us and get ourselves away home , how people can say being away from Ibrox could help is beyond me, Gerrard installed belief into some of the players still at the club , parkheeds been a non event since

To blame an entire support for the teams poor performances of late is absolutely ridiculous and taken straight from the Timmy phrase book.

The idiots involved with Borna and Butland are just that - idiots. Every support has them.

This squad had a good few months when the new manager arrived. Performances were still not always brilliant, but results were what counted. To get into pole position at this critical stage of the season and throw it away is on the players. Yes injuries and player availability will have contributed, but I’d expect a Rangers B team to be able to deliver against Ross County and Dundee. The first half approach against Celtic at home was criminal.

All said and done, we still find ourselves in with a chance. The problem is that too many familiar faces have reverted to previous form which makes it difficult for fans to believe.

Saturday will be down to the players, not the fans. As were dundee and county. But, there is no doubt there is a core of negative people in our support who boo and chuck it at adversity while taking any opportunity to slaughter our players. Both that, and the fact it likely doesn’t impact results, can be true.

There's a faction of our "support' who feel they are wholly justified in hurling abuse at players and contributing to a toxic atmosphere (which some seem to wear as a badge of honour) in which players struggle to perform, because in their eyes the players have let us down.

Yet these same "supporters" feel terribly offended and go directly to defensive mode when they themselves are criticised for their actions.

The truth likely lies in the middle ground where both players and supporters could, at times, do better.

Saturday will be down to the players, not the fans. As were dundee and county. But, there is no doubt there is a core of negative people in our support who boo and chuck it at adversity while taking any opportunity to slaughter our players. Both that, and the fact it likely doesn’t impact results, can be true.
If we denigrate the players for County and Dundee, then by proxy, we also have to praise them for getting us to that position in the first place.

It seems, to me, that far too many just want to be involved in the former, and ignore the latter.

Some people - not just football fans - can't cope with disappointment,especially from something or someone they care so much about.

They react by lashing out against that person or thing rather than internalising that disappointment and overcoming it in time.

The fans that react extremely on here or in the real world most likely deal with their loved ones in the same manner when they fall short of their expectations.

I can fully understand. It's not easy when you're so heavily invested.

If we denigrate the players for County and Dundee, then by proxy, we also have to praise them for getting us to that position in the first place.

It seems, to me, that far too many just want to be involved in the former, and ignore the latter.
100% correct mate. Its the same with the constant labelling of certain players as shitebags. It wasnt that when the same players were beating dortmund, liepzig, betis etc. As a support we too often focus on the negatives and, especially in the case of the majority of the last 6-10 years, fail to simply acknowledge that that mob have been miles better than us, as annoying as that is.

Totally agree. Some people are just literally always always negative.

Imagine watching us lift the league title in a few weeks and instead of feeling happy, you just feel like you’ve got egg all over your face because of how much moping you’ve spent doing. It’s pathetic.

I said to my son when Clement incredibly started to get results out of what was a dead team that I’d be happy if he delivered one or two of the cups and got us out of our Europa group but countered that with we weren’t winning the League with Dessers and Lammers etc.

Then what do you know they got themselves into a title race but I still wasn’t convinced.

The run of results and the cup win has bought Clement much needed time,imagine if it had continued to implode,but it also put the expectation levels of many through the roof “ We’ll thump that mob at Ibrox” I heard all around me…” eh no we won't” was what my head was saying.

Clement has a huge summer in front of him. I think we’ve found our fit and I wish him well.

We also have to confront the culture within our club. A club that is prepared to take it up the 'chorus' at every turn.

I don't want statements. I want action.

Until we fight the blatant injustices and highlight how we are reffed ro a different standard, and that also means highlighting what the filth get away with, nothing is going to change.

We have to highlight everything, which means our scum press has to report it, or choose to ignore it totally.

If Clancy gets the gig for the SC final, we should be in immediately making a complaint. Although sadly, I believe that performance from Dec 2019 is over the hills and far away. (We should have went for the jugular back then and as usual 'dignifiedly negligenced' it.)

What we do is highlight McGregor's stamp on the Hearts player at the weekend and ask how can we trust this referee's judgement? We need to take the fight to them.

For the record, a complaint about cheating 'shettleston' scum like Clancy won't worry him, in fact it will embolden him, but you get your strike in first.

Totally agree. Some people are just literally always always negative.

Imagine watching us lift the league title in a few weeks and instead of feeling happy, you just feel like you’ve got egg all over your face because of how much moping you’ve spent doing. It’s pathetic.

What's pathetic is people like you making up shit.

You're honestly of the opinion there are Rangers fans on here or out there in the non internet world wouldn't be happy at Rangers winning the league?

Just when you think you've read it all on here, there's always someone can 'growl' and raise the bar.

You're honestly of the opinion there are Rangers fans on here or out there in the non internet world wouldn't be happy at Rangers winning the league?

Just when you think you've read it all on here, there's always someone can 'growl' and raise the bar.
That’s not what I said at all. This is the problem. Some people live in a world of extreme interpretations.

Whilst we still have a chance of winning then I’d prefer to support the team and offer up encouragement. Then if we do win it, I’d feel more a part of it.

Totally fine to sit arms folded bumping your gums once the chance of winning has passed. And if I did that before the chance had passed and we ended up winning it, yeah, I’d feel pretty pathetic with my actions (whilst also being happy at winning the league) - the two things can coexist.

Agreed the OP is typical of the introverted view of supporters as if we’re unique. That mob were booing Santa At Christmas ffs. We’re no different to any other support in terms of getting frustrated and angry at players not performing.
However we are unique in our unwavering loyalty to our club after years of struggles we’ve sold out our Season Tickets yet again!

As an old supporter and certainly not a 'happy clapper' I just wonder sometimes and this is directed at our home support (of which I am one).
I realize that atmosphere is generated by what is happening on the park. But what if we weren't playing well and went a goal down and everyone, not only the union bears, got behind the team and 'roared' them on instead of moaning and groaning. As in 'support' the team. Do we think it would make a difference?

I'm genuinely interested on thoughts on this :confused:

As an old supporter and certainly not a 'happy clapper' I just wonder sometimes and this is directed at our home support (of which I am one).
I realize that atmosphere is generated by what is happening on the park. But what if we weren't playing well and went a goal down and everyone, not only the union bears, got behind the team and 'roared' them on instead of moaning and groaning. As in 'support' the team. Do we think it would make a difference?

I'm genuinely interested on thoughts on this :confused:
You just need to ask the manager his thoughts on synergy between players and support. He's been banging on about it since he got here - it seems a sizeable chunk have forgotten that after a few disappointing results.

That’s not what I said at all. This is the problem. Some people live in a world of extreme interpretations.

Whilst we still have a chance of winning then I’d prefer to support the team and offer up encouragement. Then if we do win it, I’d feel more a part of it.

Totally fine to sit arms folded bumping your gums once the chance of winning has passed. And if I did that before the chance had passed and we ended up winning it, yeah, I’d feel pretty pathetic with my actions (whilst also being happy at winning the league) - the two things can coexist.

The chance of winning has passed. We passed it up.

Now, of course it goes without saying we can win on Saturday, but it will be by the narrowest of margins.

We'll need a GD of at least ten goals in the last two games to secure the title.

I'd love it to happen but don't see it.

But if it comes to pass I'd be making the biggest Cheshire cat you ever saw look like a sour puss.

And that's where I originally disagreed with you. Punters are disappointed/sickened/sick to the back teeth of what has transpired over the last six weeks or so and the performances.

To say they won't be delighted if we do pull this off is a nonsense, in my opinion.

Basically IMO our supporters are having a negative impact on our team performance going into a crucial stage of the season.
We have Barisic and Butland involved in verbals with supporters when they were doing supporters a favour by signing stuff.
Add in Silva giving some back after scoring a goal presumably to criticism from some supporters.
The thread is not designed to engage in the reasons behind the criticism the players are receiving.

However it is for people to consider the negative impact that criticism is having on our players with 4 games to go which could possibly end up in winning a treble.
It may be unlikely but still possible:
You would want our players to be in a positive frame of mind but undoubtedly our players are on edge even our player of the year Butland.

In summary we should be collectively behind the players be loyal and be a positive force to try and bring success.
It would be naive to believe the players are not aware of what is happening on Social media and I have to say some of the comments on here about players are toxic and cogently negatively impacting the squad IMO.
I’m sure many on here will say they need to man up and it’s part of being a Ranger and while there is some truth in that players are human and surely we should be behind the team especially when going for the treble:

I remember the Ally Ally GTF days but this essentially was when the team were languishing in mediocrity and not as we are now chasing success.
A grip on reality and positive support from now to the end of the season would be nice.
Consider the harm you are doing to the club you profess to love and support.

Its probably been said a few times on this thread but this isn't a new thing at all. Ibrox has always been a difficult place to play for players who are struggling and as a support we have a very unhealthy trend of getting on those payers backs instead of actually helping them through bad form and the likes.

The treatment of Dessers and Lammers at the start of this season was a total embarrassment.

On here though its always been the case. I remember in 09 there was plenty of threads created as the narrative was that Smith had to go, he was getting slated constantly on the old FF board, constant negativity about why he should be sacked etc. This continued up to the last 5 or 6 games of the season as we went for the title, which we eventually won thankfully.

The rise of social media since then has meant the idiots we used to ignore in the boozers for being exactly that now think their voice and opinions mean something.

Last edited:
Listened to the Quickly Kevin podcast with Glenn Hoddle recently and he mentioned how important your home fans are in turning around games where the players aren't quite on it.

He mentioned Liverpool as having the best fans for this and knowing when to get behind their players. Take that how you will but it definitely is helpful when the fans choose to get behind the players rather than berate them/complain about every misplaced pass like we do

The chance of winning has passed. We passed it up.

Now, of course it goes without saying we can win on Saturday, but it will be by the narrowest of margins.

We'll need a GD of at least ten goals in the last two games to secure the title.

I'd love it to happen but don't see it.

But if it comes to pass I'd be making the biggest Cheshire cat you ever saw look like a sour puss.

And that's where I originally disagreed with you. Punters are disappointed/sickened/sick to the back teeth of what has transpired over the last six weeks or so and the performances.

To say they won't be delighted if we do pull this off is a nonsense, in my opinion.
Very little of this is true mate. the chance has not gone. At all. We also wont need 10 goal diff in the last 2 games. They have to go to killie, a place they have already lost twice. They draw there and we could win the league with 3 1-0 wins.

It might not happen, and might look unlikely (but so did 03, 05 and 10/11). The idea anything is actually passed up simply isnt true.

Back