Lundstram contract situation.

Hopefully bring in a younger, better player for the wages he will be on. Failed to make an impression yesterday in another big game. We need better.
Agreed.

He's ok against the jobber sides in SPHell, but in the big games he usually looks lost, took slow and doesn't think quick enough.

We need a quicker thinker and someone more dynamic who doesn't turn like the Titanic.

And someone who makes less passes between him and Goldson would be nice.

Last edited:
He’s wanting a certain wage for a certain period of time.

The club will look at that money and make a decision if that is value. Or can we bring in a player who will cost us less and potentially have a resale value who will do a similar job.

Lundstram is right to demand whatever he wants. The club are right to not offer it.

I have no inside info, but I could imagine he will want terms on par or greater than Goldson.

He has been immense recently, but it is a big outlay for a guy who's powers are only going to go one way.

Agreed.

He's ok against the jobber sides in SPHell, but in the big games he usually looks lost, took slow and doesn't think quick enough.

We need a quicker thibker and someone mote dynamic who doesn't turn like the Titanic.

And someone who makes less passes between him and Goldson would be more.

That's a lot of the games of football we play you have just described.

You are condensing big games down to Celtic, when Lundstram has as often been good, and Europe, when he has as often been good as he has poor.

The emptying of the likes of Jack and Dowell can go some way to the wage Lundstram will be paid, then players added to go with him and Diomande not to replace them

As good as he's been since Clement came in, he's not worth a new contract on the reported terms he's on.

Use that money wisely to get a younger and better version. Clement and the team have already proven they have an eye for a player so I trust they can sign better.

Mother of all no brainers. Needs done asap.
I disagree. He's 30 years old. Will doubtless be looking for a lucrative contract of probably 3 years. Possibly also a signing on fee, which he'll certainly get if he moves on. He's undoubtedly been on top form since PC arrived, but he's been hot and cold over his time with us, so no guarantee that will continue. There will be little or no sell on value at the end of his contract. In short, I'm not totally convinced keeping him is the best value for money option. Too often we've kept players for too long. Maybe the end of the season is the time to say thank you and goodbye to JL, bring in a young, hungry player who we can improve and sell on in 2 or 3 years. Maybe it's not. I certainly don't think it's a no brainer though.

Ok name one player who does what he does on the same wage and is a free
Daft argument. How many people on here would have suggest Dujon Sterling before he came or any of our other recent successful acquisitions for that matter? Lets leave Koppen to find the right players.

Not being able to name a specific player to replace Lundstrum does not negate the point that it is possibly the right time to be moving him on.

I should start by saying I love JL, and he’s a fantastic holder of my favourite jersey.

However, the economics of the deal mean I think I’ve come to terms with the fact the best for all concerned is for him to move on.

Last major contract, interest down south, his current deal value (signed as a free agent) he will undoubtedly want improving and no resale value.

Ultimately, going to the brass tacks of his performances over existing contract - he has been solid if inconsistent at times.

He would definitely go with my best wishes.

Maybe he is looking for a move back down south and will only sign if that doesn't happen. If that's the case, then as much as I love the big man, he can move on regardless.

Lundstram was a bosman. Maybe there's another bosman available who has similar wage demands.

Not trying to over simplify it, there are lots of factors to consider. But its possible that the management team thinks the 30k a week could be better spent elsewhere.
For someone who is a first pick its definitely not better spent elsewhere. We cannot expect players on next to nothing to be one of the first names on the team sheet.

That's a lot of the games of football we play you have just described.

You are condensing big games down to Celtic, when Lundstram has as often been good, and Europe, when he has as often been good as he has poor.

The emptying of the likes of Jack and Dowell can go some way to the wage Lundstram will be paid, then players added to go with him and Diomande not to replace them
When we go ti thr Piggery Lunstram is generally invisible.

I expect more than that.

I'd be more than happy for him to leave.

We need better in there.

Cue the "we won't get better" deluded nonsense from some :rolleyes:

He’s probably our player of the year and Clement loves him.

Success in recruitment is not guaranteed just because you decide to pay decent wages. You think it’s easy to get a good player do you?

What a thread.

The one player we can rely on this season and folk talking as if they're in charge of the budget. Sign him up.

Well be freeing up wages when Roofe and Jack leave. Lundstram is vital to how we play.
I cannot agree anymore with this post. You are spot on. Talk of just bringing in someone younger and fitter etc doesn't just happen. Also we don't require a sell on for every player.

In a scenario where we don't win the league this season, are people really wanting to give John Lundstram a new contract??!

Deary me.

I think considering his wage demands, age and his glass ceiling, we can get better.
He's been our best play this year before clement came in and up a level since he did and is probably the first name on the team sheet.

He's the one player that needs a rest just now you could see but that's because we don't have options

Daft argument. How many people on here would have suggest Dujon Sterling before he came or any of our other recent successful acquisitions for that matter? Lets leave Koppen to find the right players.

Not being able to name a specific player to replace Lundstrum does not negate the point that it is possibly the right time to be moving him on.
It’s only a valid point if one agrees he needs moved on he’s a main stay in our team all season he’s 30 and probably at the top of his game for at least another two yrs he’s never injured and the fittest player at the club but aye let’s move him on ..jeez what a place.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s already signed an extension and the club were not letting it get in the way of a heavy schedule.

In a scenario where we don't win the league this season, are people really wanting to give John Lundstram a new contract??!

Deary me.
Yes, then we can focus our budget on the positions we really need improve on.

Rather than replacing our possible POTY who plays every game in our new managers system.

Player Name

Weekly Wage

Yearly Salary

Position

Nationality

Connor Goldson

£37,000

£1,924,000

D C

England

James Tavernier

£30,000

£1,560,000

D/WB R

England

Ben Davies

£27,000

£1,404,000

D C

England

Cyriel Dessers

£27,000

£1,404,000

ST

Nigeria

Danilo

£26,000

£1,352,000

AM RL, ST

Brazil

Kemar Roofe

£26,000

£1,352,000

AM RLC, F C

Jamaica

Jack Butland

£25,000

£1,300,000

GK

England

Rabbi Matondo

£23,000

£1,196,000

AM RL

Wales

Todd Cantwell

£22,000

£1,144,000

AM RLC

England

John Lundstram

£22,000

£1,144,000

DM

England

Tom Lawrence

£22,000

£1,144,000

AM RLC

Wales

Dujon Sterling

£22,000

£1,144,000

D RC, M R

England

Borna Barišić

£21,000

£1,092,000

D/WB L

Croatia

Nicolas Raskin

£19,000

£988,000

DM

Belgium

Sam Lammers

£18,000

£936,000

AM RC, F C

Netherlands

José Cifuentes

£16,000

£832,000

DM

Ecuador

Kieran Dowell

£16,000

£832,000

AM RLC

England

Rıdvan Yılmaz

£12,000

£624,000

D/WB/M L

Türkiye

Abdallah Sima

£8,500

£442,000

AM R, ST

Senegal

John Souttar

£8,100

£421,200

D C

Scotland

Ryan Jack

£8,000

£416,000

DM

Scotland

Steven Davis

£8,000

£416,000

M RC

N.Ireland

Leon Balogun

£8,000

£416,000

D RC

Nigeria

Leon King

£8,000

£416,000

D RC

Scotland

Who says we can get an ‘upgrade’ for what we pay Lundstram, what better players are there that realistically, would come to the SPL and take less money than they would get elsewhere? I’m not saying there aren’t better players than him because there are lots that patently are but I’m really curious as to how exactly we recruit better players for his wages rather than them going to the a middling EPL, Spanish or German team? Better players than Lundstram command better wages whether you like it or not we would have to pay a hefty ‘Scottish’ premium to convince a better player to come here.

It’s only a valid point if one agrees he needs moved on he’s a main stay in our team all season he’s 30 and probably at the top of his game for at least another two yrs he’s never injured and the fittest player at the club but aye let’s move him on ..jeez what a place.
That's thing I didn't take to him when he first came in him and Davis struggled to play together didn't track runners cost us goals in about his first 4/5 games

He's now pretty much a cert to play every game with gio and now clement he is perfect for how we play in Europe splitting the defenders is always an out ball and wants the ball

I think 2 more years is worth it tbh

He has been playing good football but ran himself flat out of energy a couple of times of late. That is most likely going to increase.
He’s played a crazy amount of minutes because we don’t have anyone to rotate with him at the moment and he’s playing so well.

I expect him to play against Dundee on Sunday and make a final push. The international break will give him and others a well deserved break. After that we’re back to one game a week so it’ll soon solve its self.

Might also be the case that both sides are waiting to see if we're guaranteed CL football next season. if we are then the budget/demand discussion could change significantly.

Slow? I don’t think you attribute that word to him he’s certainly not slow.

To replace him we’d need te spend a fair few million. I’d keep him in a heartbeat
Or do what we done with him and sign a Bosman. One who is younger and might have a sell on value.

What a thread.

The one player we can rely on this season and folk talking as if they're in charge of the budget. Sign him up.

Well be freeing up wages when Roofe and Jack leave. Lundstram is vital to how we play.

People think this is like a game of football manager

Lundstram has been a very very steady performer. We would struggle massively to replace him with an adequate player that would cost less than 4 million in fee and wages.

Back