Lundstram contract situation.

None of us know for definite, one thing though you can guarantee 99% off the time is if they get an offer from the premier league which will have a better wage then they are going.

If it was me personally and it was the sake of 5k or so a week I wouldn't be entirely sold on that idea.

Lundstram for instance has played for Sheffield United, I have watched them a few times, in terms of professional fulfilment, it looks a bit shite

That would be before considering for instance the age profile of family, how settled they were etc and so on.

I am just personally not that into just making up what people I don't know are doing and their motives for it then imposing that on them.

Last edited:
Lundstram has been a far better player for us than Ryan jack and he gets treated like royalty on here
Wouldn't have given Jack a new contract either, and wouldn't offer him another. Me, the Jack contract money I would have proffered to have been used to give Arfield an offer.

Wouldn't have given Jack a new contract either, and wouldn't offer him another. Me, the Jack contract money I would have proffered to have been used to give Arfield an offer.
I think it’s safe to say Ryan Jack will be released in the summer, as will Roofe, and probably Borna to, but given comments from both the manager, and the player himself, I’d be extremely surprised if Lundstram doesn’t extend for at least another two years.

I wouldn’t have extended jack or Arfield, The lundstram situation is tricky one if he’s on rumoured 30k a week we need to be sure he’s going to be our main man in midfield for the duration of that deal.

Like we couldn’t have went out in January and went after a top quality rcb as we have Goldson on our books till 2026, Even worse when ya consider Ben Davies is still getting a wage

Might need to bite the bullet and start going out with the old and in with the new.
We can't be signing him on again for 3 or more years.
1 year extension at 80% of current wage.

Nobody is desperate for him to go but not sure I agree it's a no brainer, reduced wages you're still talking 20+ grand per week for someone over 30.

He has had large periods where people were desperate to sell him, it's only ever round the corner
in football.

I think he will stay and I'll be glad but generally I'd like us to move on from players a year before they regress a lot, not a year or two after they have already declined massively.

Any reason as to why this hasn't been resolved yet?
I'm really surprised given how much the gaffer values him that it still seems to be a bit up in the air.
I know given his age that he won't be seen as a sellable asset any more and that will play into whatever the contract offer would be but I really do hope he's still here next season, his experience in the middle of the park is absolutely vital imo.
Lundstrum is a conundrum. Came didn't hit the grass running. Took a while. He then was undoubtedly our best on that euro run with GVB. Then went off the boil a bit and now (in his final year) has been outstanding. Deserving of a new contract but the big question, what happens after he signs a long term lucrative contract, we are stuck with him. Clement seems to always view the bigger picture. He may love him NOW but overall thru contract may be 50/50 on him. I'll leave it to Phil to sort out and at this point will give Phil the support he needs

Not for me. Let him go and try to get Sterling but that would depend on Chelsea and the player.
We need new younger players and that would also for me replacing Goldson.
Lundstram has been good for us but has now slowed down and we still get too many square passes.
Players like Sterling move the ball faster which is what we now need.
We kept Jack which was a mistake although injury was the problem.
PC likes younger players with ability and that for me is the way to go.

Lundstrum is a conundrum. Came didn't hit the grass running. Took a while. He then was undoubtedly our best on that euro run with GVB. Then went off the boil a bit and now (in his final year) has been outstanding. Deserving of a new contract but the big question, what happens after he signs a long term lucrative contract, we are stuck with him. Clement seems to always view the bigger picture. He may love him NOW but overall thru contract may be 50/50 on him. I'll leave it to Phil to sort out and at this point will give Phil the support he needs
Think we've seen the best of John and seems to tire in last couple of games prob cause he's been having to do so much. Maybe 1 year extension offered?

Last edited:
Have the folk that are less than complimentary actually watched him this season?
It doesn’t seem like it.
He has been a huge part of our massive improvement.

I’ve said it before on here.
I think it’s Tav syndrome.

Folk don’t take to a player and stay with their stubborn stance no matter what.

Pathetic.
That's a very weird take to be completely honest.

I haven't seen anyone say in the thread that his form has been anything other than great since PC arrived?

The issue is his wage and if he is wanting an increase, I believe we could do much better with £30k+ a week.

Good form as a first team player's contract is about to run out is virtually inevitable to be honest, it happens a lot.

Not for me. Let him go and try to get Sterling but that would depend on Chelsea and the player.
Lundstram has been good for us but has now slowed down and we still get too many square passes.
Eh?

We signed Sterling in the summer on a permanent contract. He isn't on loan.

Felt his heart wasn’t in it under Beale but is probably the most improved player under Clement,I think we should make it a priority to extend his contract unless we get a superb offer for him,Every player has their price.

Sterling isn't a Ready made replacement. They are completely different styles of CM.
The lad is young and has all the physical attributes needed and clearly can adapt to more than one position. Could easily be coached to play in Clements system.

And actually now I think more about it, Diomande is preferred in the more central role so there's another replacement. If you're advocating for keeping JL tell us why, otherwise you're just disagreeing for the sake of it.

giphy.gif

He’s been superb this season and Clement clearly loves him, but I’m ambivalent whether he stays or not, if I’m being honest.

In truth it might be better for him if he left because you get the impression the haters are just chomping at the bit to have at him again the minute his form dips.

I wouldn’t have extended jack or Arfield, The lundstram situation is tricky one if he’s on rumoured 30k a week we need to be sure he’s going to be our main man in midfield for the duration of that deal.

Like we couldn’t have went out in January and went after a top quality rcb as we have Goldson on our books till 2026, Even worse when ya consider Ben Davies is still getting a wage
I can see why you wouldn't offer Arfield, but to me I think he still offered something. The Davies transfer really pisses me off. We overpaid on him, he should have cost half of what we paid at most.

The lad is young and has all the physical attributes needed and clearly can adapt to more than one position. Could easily be coached to play in Clements system.

And actually now I think more about it, Diomande is preferred in the more central role so there's another replacement. If you're advocating for keeping JL tell us why, otherwise you're just disagreeing for the sake of it.
Keeping him because he is a first pick and the manager obviously trusts him. Keeping him means money can be spent elsewhere.

That's a very weird take to be completely honest.

I haven't seen anyone say in the thread that his form has been anything other than great since PC arrived?

The issue is his wage and if he is wanting an increase, I believe we could do much better with £30k+ a week.

Good form as a first team player's contract is about to run out is virtually inevitable to be honest, it happens a lot.
You need to peruse the thread a bit more vigorously.
I also love the way his naysayers always inflate his wages.

John Lundstram isn’t on 30k+ a week.

There is absolutely nothing “weird” about my take.
It’s the take of the majority of the support. We want to keep a good player, so how on earth can it possibly be classed as weird?

On the other hand, inflating his wages and claiming he’s only playing well because his deal is nearly up to support the minority narrow minded view could be construed as the weird opinion.

Was hearing last night from Lundstram’s side that both the club and the player are miles apart in terms of years and wages. The player wants to stay but not on what’s being offered at the moment.

We are far too keen to keep players. I am fine signing Lundstram for the right deal. Less than he is on just now. He is getting older injuries will take longer etc.

We have to reduce our wage bill. Way too high for what we have achieved. Think he may well get better offers elsewhere.

Keeping him because he is a first pick and the manager obviously trusts him. Keeping him means money can be spent elsewhere.
Fair answer, but can we get better value for the same outlay and strengthen the team in other areas while replacing JL with players we have in the squad? Yes IMO. If PC wants him and JL wants to stay he'll stay. That's the bottom line.

When we win 56 we get a nice cash windfall of CL cash. To progress we need to buy better players. We can’t be happy keeping what we have.

If we accept that the level of players we have is all we need or deserve then I think that lacks ambition.

Continual improvement is what the club should strive for.

JL may have had good fitness figures pre season but it’s evident he’s running
out of steam. He’s done well here, so has Goldson but there has to be a time we aim higher.

Wtf are you on about??

When we win the league this season
Lundstrum will want a crack of the Champions league he will seriously consider signing any contract he is offered

You need to peruse the thread a bit more vigorously.
I also love the way his naysayers always inflate his wages.

John Lundstram isn’t on 30k+ a week.

There is absolutely nothing “weird” about my take.
It’s the take of the majority of the support. We want to keep a good player, so how on earth can it possibly be classed as weird?

On the other hand, inflating his wages and claiming he’s only playing well because his deal is nearly up to support the minority narrow minded view could be construed as the weird opinion.
How am I inflating his wages mate?

My understanding was that Connor Goldson and possibly others were furious at his wage relative to the feedback they initially had on renewing their contracts. Can anyone else confirm that I didn't imagine this please? Obviously Goldson stayed, but first half of that season this was definitely an issue by my recollection.

Lundstram was a bosman from a Premier League side, he absolutely will be on about £30k a week.

No player from a top end Championship or low end EPL side is coming up here for less than that.

Some on here are in for a shock imo. The club has (I hope) learned the folly of keeping players for too long. The squad must be freshened up and players moved on before they start to go downhill, pick up more injuries, and lose value.
If Big John could be kept for another season that would be fine but a 4 year contract gives me the fear.
Recent events have shown that we can find good talent and I'm confident that will continue.
No sentiment.

When we win 56 we get a nice cash windfall of CL cash. To progress we need buy better players. We can’t be happy keeping what we have.

If we accept that the level of players we have is all we need or deserve then I think that lacks ambition.

out of steam. He’s done well here, so has Goldson but there has to be a time we aim higher.

Having £4.5m a year tied up in wages for 3 veterans until their mid 30's would be absolute insanity on our part.

The Goldson renewal is where it all stems from. It meant Tav got a wage rise to match his for parity reasons and Lundstram(rightly IMO) will be pointing at being every bit as important as those two and wanting the same.

Lundstram's right to ask for it. We'd be wrong to pay it.

When we win the league this season
Lundstrum will want a crack of the Champions league he will seriously consider signing any contract he is offered
Doesn't really work like that anymore.

If a player wants more money, they don't give a shit about European nights if fatter contracts are on offer.

Bizarre that people endlessly trot this line out in the face of scores of examples to the contrary

Some on here are in for a shock imo. The club has (I hope) learned the folly of keeping players for too long. The squad must be freshened up and players moved on before they start to go downhill, pick up more injuries, and lose value.
If Big John could be kept for another season that would be fine but a 4 year contract gives me the fear.
Recent events have shown that we can find good talent and I'm confident that will continue.
No sentiment.
Folk have heard Clement say about the club losing so many players this summer and assumed everyone bar the injury prone players will be renewed for continuity.

Doesn't really work like that anymore.

If a player wants more money, they don't give a shit about European nights if fatter contracts are on offer.

Bizarre that people endlessly trot this line out in the face of scores of examples to the contrary
Ok, your right Butland came to Rangers for the money

When we win 56 we get a nice cash windfall of CL cash. To progress we need to buy better players. We can’t be happy keeping what we have.

Champions League football and a Europa League final did not increase our spending power the following summers. It won't this summer either.

I think we have far bigger issues with the squad than JL. He has looked a bit leggy this past week but, he has had virtually no rest and was up against a much higher level of opposition than we are used to which obviously means a lot less of the ball too.

I agree we can aim higher but, can still keep him.

Ok, your right Butland came to Rangers for the money
Butland needed game time at a good level.

Not even remotely similar scenarios.

We will always be able to attract third choice players from the EPL if we are willing to pay good wages.

Butland needed game time at a good level.

Not even remotely similar scenarios.

We will always be able to attract third choice players from the EPL if we are willing to pay good wages.

They actually are quite comparable rather than not being similar.

You have then strengthened the point in your last line

What I would say is Goldson is a player that you won’t know how good he really is until he is gone, he is however getting slower which will continue to be the case.
Yes, I agree.

But Goldson's regression has been clear to see for quite a while.

Successful teams and pragmatic managers don't prolong the stay of players who are on the downward cycle where regression and slowing down is evident.

I'd like to see him moved on in the summer.

Goldson being kept as a starter for next season would be very much the wrong judgment from Clement imo.

How am I inflating his wages mate?

My understanding was that Connor Goldson and possibly others were furious at his wage relative to the feedback they initially had on renewing their contracts. Can anyone else confirm that I didn't imagine this please? Obviously Goldson stayed, but first half of that season this was definitely an issue by my recollection.

Lundstram was a Bosman from a premier league side, he absolutely will be on about £30k a week.

No player from a top end Championship or low end EPL side is coming up here for less than that.
You certainly like to embellish to support your case, Sir.

Sheffield United were already relegated as the rock bottom side of the EPL and as such he was set to take a huge wage cut even if he was on 30k.

I doubt we'd offer over 30k per week.
It's ridiculous we are arguing over his wage which neither of us know for certain despite your claims "he absolutely will be on 30k a week".

Anyway, I only took issue with your reply because you stated my view was not just weird but "very weird"
It very clearly isn't a weird opinion. It is one most of the thread shares.

They actually are quite comparable rather than not being similar.

You have then strengthened the point in your last line
Sorry, I didn't word that well at all - shock horror -

I meant their current situation with us isn't similar. There were parallels in terms of them having fallen away somewhat down south before joining for sure.

The thing about Lundstram's wage means he might be limited in finding a club who would pay more. Not sure he'd get an EPL move at this stage.

Yes, I agree.

But Goldson's regression has been clear to see for quite a while.

Successful teams and pragmatic managers don't prolong the stay of players who are on the downward cycle where regression and slowing down is evident.

I'd like to see him moved on in the summer.

Goldson being kept as a starter for next season would be very much the wrong judgment from Clement imo.
It’s getting to the stage where Goldson is going to be sent off for a rugby tackle as he has been very close to it this year. The manager will know what he needs and allowed to spend and if he can’t upgrade on Goldson he will still be with us but managed better as playing every minute has knock on effects for Goldson as he runs out of pace late on in matches , I’m sure the manager would want him next year with a couple of good replacements to test our two centre backs

You certainly like to embellish to support your case, Sir.

Sheffield United were already relegated as the rock bottom side of the EPL and as such he was set to take a huge wage cut even if he was on 30k.

I doubt we'd offer over 30k per week.
It's ridiculous we are arguing over his wage which neither of us know for certain despite your claims "he absolutely will be on 30k a week".

Anyway, I only took issue with your reply because you stated my view was not just weird but "very weird"
It very clearly isn't a weird opinion. It is one most of the thread shares.
Weird wasn't fair, I apologise. I meant to convey I was confused because I still feel most of the thread has acknowledged his contributions.

I still don't think he's on much less than that wage.

If we were to sign a good player from the top end of the Championship in England, then we are still going to be in the £30k.

I also acknowledge the relegation would've saw his wages go down, still not sure that means he has taken a similar cut to come up here

Weird wasn't fair, I apologise. I meant to convey I was confused because I still feel most of the thread has acknowledged his contributions.

I still don't think he's on much less than that wage.

If we were to sign a good player from the top end of the Championship in England, then we are still going to be in the £30k.

I also acknowledge the relegation would've saw his wages go down, still not sure that means he has taken a similar cut to come up here
Rangers or Sheffield United?

Not many are going to plump for Sheffield United in the 2nd tier.

But again, I'm only guessing.

Rangers or Sheffield United?

Not many are going to plump for Sheffield United in the 2nd tier.

But again, I'm only guessing.
As much as Utd were all but relegated before Xmas, it felt like we had a verbal from him because there was at least a year between the initial link and him signing.

I'm not against him staying and his form has been good. I just don't think the renewal is a no brainer from our point of view.

My position is that if it's on the same or less for a maximum two years, then it's just about worth it.

For all I harp on about the wage, I'm not sure he'll have loads of higher offers elsewhere

It’s getting to the stage where Goldson is going to be sent off for a rugby tackle as he has been very close to it this year. The manager will know what he needs and allowed to spend and if he can’t upgrade on Goldson he will still be with us but managed better as playing every minute has knock on effects for Goldson as he runs out of pace late on in matches , I’m sure the manager would want him next year with a couple of good replacements to test our two centre backs
Goldson hasn't the energy for a 'rugby' tackle, his energies go into waving his arms about after he is responsible for making another mistake,

reliably against Benfica,

he should be managing the defence after all the years he has been here, forget about blaming anyone else, where was he when they hit on the break,
not ONE fuckin defender was anywhere near getting back to cover,
Diomande was the closest to their breakout,

our defence is a joke,
apart from Yilmaz, they are all deadwood to go, and from what he has brought in, I have confidence PC can identify and bring in a quality above what we have, it's what we need and deserve as a club of our standing in world football

whoever gave Goldson a new contract needs the sack

Last edited:
If he decides to stay, it seems it will only be because no clubs in England actually want him based on the brain dead criteria some on here apply to Goldson.

I would expect it is more likely he takes his time and weighs up the decision given it's likely the last truly defining contract of his career.
I think we made a mistake in goldson, he isn’t a great defender.
For the wage I think we could have got better.
Same with applies with Lundstrum, if reported weekly wages are to be believed, then for over $35k a week we should be able to get better.

Back