Cathkin Park (former home of 3rd Lanark)

BlueBaloo

The Jimmy Johnstone Foundation are in talks with GCC to lease Cathkin Park. I was up there with my dog last week and noticed work had begun on dressing rooms.

No doubt the place will be turned into another plastic paddy playpark named in honour of the mini wifebeating alky.

As far as i know JJ has no connections to the 3rds and seems a strange choice given the nick of the pitch towards Myrtle Park.

I'm sure there was a 3rd rate actor who actively tried to resurrect Third Lanark and was quite vocal in his hatred towards us a while ago?.

The other two interested parties were dismissed by Glasgow council.

20 years @ £750 a year apparently.

Times-cathkin-poark-IMG-9717.jpg

The local community Council (MoFloCoCo) have been opposed to this exclusive use of Cathkin.

Jimmy Johnstone academy have played there for a number of years now.

Played them in the Scottish cup there a few years ago.

£750 a year is an absolute steal.

I’m 46 now and growing up in KP, I can still remember the wonderment at discovering an abandoned football ground whilst on my travels as a kid.

I still take a walk around the place whenever I go home to visit the old dear and I’d be quite happy for it to remain as it is.

Played several home games there for both Queens Park and partick thistle as a youth, around 96 to 98

Just about everybody I have heard or read about regarding Third Lanark's "resurrection" has names that suggest they are NOT Rangers fans, I think the surname McGeady has some involvement.

My boys club team used it as a home pitch from around 1998 to 2000. Was a massive pitch for under 11s. Quite strange but cool playing then in what had once been a decent sized stadium.

Due to the lack of dressing rooms we would usually get changed at the old pavilion at Toryglen ash pitches then walk 10 minutes across prospecthill and Aikenhead road to Cathkin, then repeat the walk back at full time.

I’m 46 now and growing up in KP, I can still remember the wonderment at discovering an abandoned football ground whilst on my travels as a kid.

I still take a walk around the place whenever I go home to visit the old dear and I’d be quite happy for it to remain as it is.
I remember my dad taking me through it on the way to Hampden for the 88 Skol cup final. It was so surreal for my younger self.

Last edited:

I take my dog up there a lot

Hope he shites all over the pitch now :D

I met the guy a few years ago and made a little video.

It was my last day in Scotland and I was trying to get some footage of older areas.
He seemed a pleasant enough guy we chatted for a while.

The guy you see briefly with his dog on the field was a Bear. Spoke to him for a while as well.

If nothing else you'll see Cathkin Park as was it 2018. I'd play in HD. Click the little gear icon and choose HD.

So not only do we have state sponsored segregation of children in the form of sectarian schools, we will now have an off shoot charity who continue the practice of seperating young kids from a certain background from the wider football playing community being propped up by a city council. Only in the West of Scotland.

The Jimmy Johnstone Foundation are in talks with GCC to lease Cathkin Park. I was up there with my dog last week and noticed work had begun on dressing rooms.

No doubt the place will be turned into another plastic paddy playpark named in honour of the mini wifebeating alky.

As far as i know JJ has no connections to the 3rds and seems a strange choice given the nick of the pitch towards Myrtle Park.
So you’re up there with your dog. Dressing rooms have doors, doors have handles. You know what to do.

Fence going round the pitch now.
Locals are not happy.

Pitch is always getting ruined and in summer folk light fires on pitch , or driving on it dont blame them for wanting a fence round the pitch , folk are just not happy as they use it to let their dogs shite all over the place , queens park is 5 mins away to walk their dogs , its not a public park to sunbathe in summer or have BBQs its a football pitch ffs ,facilities are bad enough because of glasgow city council

When Cathkin was a proper fitba ground
third-lanark-v-rangers-pitch-invasion-1950s.jpg

Opening day of the 1961-62 season at Cathkin (League Cup).
Third Lanark 0-2 Rangers (D.Wilson 9, 36 mins).
Apparently 10,000 fans 'broke into' the ground shortly before kick off, to add to the 37,000 that had already paid to get in.
The 40 policemen on duty spread around the ground could not cope, as Cops from all over the city made their hurried way over to Cathkin.
The overcrowding forced two pitch invasions, coincidentally after each Davy Wilson goal.
Third Lanark Manager, and former Rangers and Scotland icon, George Young (pictured very front and centre), had to order at least half a dozen spectators from the Thirds dug out!
For all the rioting, Police were forced to make ONE arrest.

Over at Ibrox, the colts dished out an 11-0 thrashing to Third Lanark, with summer signing Jim Christie banging in 4 goals.
Youngsters Willie Henderson and John Greig each netted two apiece.
Meanwhile, down at Newton Stewart the Third XI recorded a 7-1 victory over the local side, with 16 year old Jim Forrest bagging a Hat Trick.

People forget it was formed by a British regiment that fought in the peninsular war under the Duke of Wellington .Yes volounteers were a regiment a lot of our fore fathers joined.

Pitch is always getting ruined and in summer folk light fires on pitch , or driving on it dont blame them for wanting a fence round the pitch , folk are just not happy as they use it to let their dogs shite all over the place , queens park is 5 mins away to walk their dogs , its not a public park to sunbathe in summer or have BBQs its a football pitch ffs ,facilities are bad enough because of glasgow city council
JJ Academy dont use it weekly.
Other teams do though.

From Reddit.
"This issue first came up about 5 years ago, maybe longer. Jj attempted to take control of a GCC owned park, they failed initially. It didnt stop them dumping two bothies in the park (to store their equipment) and attempting to intimidate local residents using the park. Theres a very small car park in front of the pavilion, I was told several times by the red faced unhealthy looking mouthpiece that I wasn’t allowed to use that car park, despite the fact that I live and pay council tax in Glasgow. He used to wheeze out “cant wait to get a fence round this” loud enough for us to hear him. Jj is east renfrewshire based, not Glasgow, the kids playing football on that stolen fenced-off pitch are not local. Usual GCC - somebodys pal or somebodys bank account is benefiting from selling off city resources. Seems to be too late to do anything about it now, there were petitions before but obviously ignored"

Just about everybody I have heard or read about regarding Third Lanark's "resurrection" has names that suggest they are NOT Rangers fans, I think the surname McGeady has some involvement.

Pat McGeady( uncle of tottie heid Aidan)
I've spoken to him a few times through FB and he seems a decent sort. He was a thirds fan most of his life and collects old memorobilia etc.

Apparently 10,000 fans 'broke into' the ground shortly before kick off, to add to the 37,000 that had already paid to get in.
The 40 policemen on duty spread around the ground could not cope, as Cops from all over the city made their hurried way over to Cathkin.
The overcrowding forced two pitch invasions, coincidentally after each Davy Wilson goal.
Third Lanark Manager, and former Rangers and Scotland icon, George Young (pictured very front and centre), had to order at least half a dozen spectators from the Thirds dug out!

Over at Ibrox, the colts dished out an 11-0 thrashing to Third Lanark, with summer signing Jim Christie banging in 4 goals.
Meanwhile, down at Newton Stewart the Third XI recorded a 7-1 victory over the local side, with 16 year old Jim Forrest bagging a Hat Trick.
My first ever away game , my late father took
me to this game, we ended up sitting beside the
photographers beside the goal .
The turnstiles at Cathkin were only one side of
the ground

Last edited:

Who are the players shown here? What a strip!

I seem to recall our supporters bus parking there before the 1975-1976 League Cup Final against the mentally challengeds, but is Cathkin not nearer their end?

Back