Cathkin Park (former home of 3rd Lanark)

Looks like the first step towards applying to join the West of Scotland Football League. I wonder who owns the Third Lanark name now? Last I remember it was former Cathcart MP Teddy Taylor.

The quote by the women from the community council does read as “we want to walk our dogs there”.

The white socks suggest Third Lanark players, who wore red & white.

On a side note, my first Rangers games was against Third Lanark (at Ibrox)

Nowhere near Cathkin. No wonder nobody knows where it is. Should have been called Crosshill Park.

This is the actor I was referring to,his name is Simon Weir.

He was the manager of the Third Lanark Sunday league team I played for years ago - they had the Saturday team as well at that time and were looking to get into the league structure etc.

He suddenly chucked it, and there were rumours of money being stolen or the likes, but I don't know how true any of it was.

I will be ripping down any fences. Haughey and the same folk who ripped down the Farmhouse at Lesser are all over this.

The UNESCO city of football is is great idea but the usual daft binary argument in this city has taken over to the detriment of football heritage. The JJ Academy is a crackpot magnet for all the usual paranoid types. Absolutely zero to do with Third Lanark

A friend of mine from the 70s got as far as the thirds reserves but his dad was one of the all time Third Lanark greats. Massive blue nose family.

The Jimmy Johnstone Foundation are in talks with GCC to lease Cathkin Park. I was up there with my dog last week and noticed work had begun on dressing rooms.

No doubt the place will be turned into another plastic paddy playpark named in honour of the mini wifebeating alky.

As far as i know JJ has no connections to the 3rds and seems a strange choice given the nick of the pitch towards Myrtle Park.
Lease ? Naw, have it for free….

The Jimmy Johnstone Foundation are in talks with GCC to lease Cathkin Park. I was up there with my dog last week and noticed work had begun on dressing rooms.

No doubt the place will be turned into another plastic paddy playpark named in honour of the mini wifebeating alky.

As far as i know JJ has no connections to the 3rds and seems a strange choice given the nick of the pitch towards Myrtle Park.

Reeks of underhanded dark arts & papery, as usual from GCC.

Theirs is only one reason a fence should be erected, is to stop irresponsible dog owners letting their dogs shit on the pitch. A simple sign saying no dogs allowed would suffice for us….but some of them can’t read….

Last edited:
I was under the impression Third Lanark and Hampden Boys Club were rejected this facility as it was rejected by locals.

Reeks of underhanded dark arts & papery, as usual from GCC.
Absolutely no doubt about it.
That lot will infest the new set up and then drop it like a hot potato when they get bored.
Remember that team that played in Carlisle? A bunch of Celtc supporting Glasgow businessmen (that may or may not be a euphemism) put money in that prick Matt McGlone started bumping his gums about taking a bus down and then all of a sudden it was an IRA-oke until they got fed up and chucked it. I think we were in the lower leagues at the time.

He was the manager of the Third Lanark Sunday league team I played for years ago - they had the Saturday team as well at that time and were looking to get into the league structure etc.

He suddenly chucked it, and there were rumours of money being stolen or the likes, but I don't know how true any of it was.
The Sunday team were pure shite :D

"this is a local asset that we want to improve"

How do the locals benefit from it?
Local kids don’t need to avoid dog shit and bottles when making a slide tackle.

I fail to see how anything they are doing on the pitch at Cathkin can’t be done at Queens Park or the recs.

I remember coming across Cathkin en route to Hampden in the mid 70s. The weeds and ferns growing out of the terracing and the dilapidated stand were a source of wonderment.

I remember coming across Cathkin en route to Hampden in the mid 70s. The weeds and ferns growing out of the terracing and the dilapidated stand were a source of wonderment.
I played one game Holyrood v Shawlands think it was 1968/9 Got stripped at the school and walked to the park think we got battered around 6-0.

Michael Portillo was there on tonight’s episode of “Great British Railway Journeys”.

He donned a kit and had a kick about with that JJ Academy

When Cathkin was a proper fitba ground
third-lanark-v-rangers-pitch-invasion-1950s.jpg

Opening day of the 1961-62 season at Cathkin (League Cup).
Third Lanark 0-2 Rangers (D.Wilson 9, 36 mins).
Apparently 10,000 fans 'broke into' the ground shortly before kick off, to add to the 37,000 that had already paid to get in.
The 40 policemen on duty spread around the ground could not cope, as Cops from all over the city made their hurried way over to Cathkin.
The overcrowding forced two pitch invasions, coincidentally after each Davy Wilson goal.
Third Lanark Manager, and former Rangers and Scotland icon, George Young (pictured very front and centre), had to order at least half a dozen spectators from the Thirds dug out!
For all the rioting, Police were forced to make ONE arrest.

Over at Ibrox, the colts dished out an 11-0 thrashing to Third Lanark, with summer signing Jim Christie banging in 4 goals.
Youngsters Willie Henderson and John Greig each netted two apiece.
Meanwhile, down at Newton Stewart the Third XI recorded a 7-1 victory over the local side, with 16 year old Jim Forrest bagging a Hat Trick.
Brilliant, love your posts

Hope your dug had a shit whilst there.

Simon Weir was still talking about it last week. Said they had hit a few hurdles but he was still hopefully Third Lanark would be back playing there and making their way up through the pyramid system.

He was at the St Andrews Boxing Club event last week along with Irvine Welsh.

Back