Lundstram contract situation.

Was hearing last night from Lundstram’s side that both the club and the player are miles apart in terms of years and wages. The player wants to stay but not on what’s being offered at the moment.

Yes heard this as well Rangers offered 2 years and a small wage cut.

Hes looking for more security as got young children.

Time will tell as things can change quickly

Was hearing last night from Lundstram’s side that both the club and the player are miles apart in terms of years and wages. The player wants to stay but not on what’s being offered at the moment.
Good.

If true, I'm glad to hear that the club are not rolling over to his unrealistic demands.

I don't want him to stay, but if he is to stay, the most I would give him would be 1 year with a wage reduction and he would only be a squad player.

Still not convinced paying yet another 30+ year old £1.5m a year for the next 3/4 years is financially sound or smart.

Exactly where I am with him, at the moment. Also, I think we've got his replacement(s) waiting in the wings already.

I also cannot shake the suspicion that his recent form, has in large part, been driven by his contract situation. Initially I was all for signing him back up for another couple of years, but then the longer the question has lingered. The more I've begun to question all facets of it.

Just because Clement has transformed this squad of players, doesn't necessarily mean we are beholden to them. Also, Clement has hinted heavily that the clubs approach to recruitment will be changing, I'd imagine this will impact thoughts on player retention too.

you are familiar with pish,
it flows in what you type,
you talk about having an agenda,
yes I do have an agenda in as much as I want what's best for the club,
I want each players performance to be 100%, as good as it can be,
better players, better results, more silverware, all for the good of the club,
and if those players are not producing that level to win games and trophies they should be moved on,
and I don't think our defence is as good as it could be,
what I find strange about people on here is the greeting faced lot that start bawling as soon as someone does not agree with you,
what you see as good enough is not what I see as good enough,
what you see when you watch a football match is obviously not what others see when they watch a game,
at the end of the day, it's all about opinion,

just stop your crying!!
This threads about John Lundstram. Take your shite elsewhere instead of clogging this thread with it.

Exactly where I am with him, at the moment. Also, I think we've got his replacement(s) waiting in the wings already.

I also cannot shake the suspicion that his recent form, has in large part, been driven by his contract situation. Initially I was all for signing him back up for another couple of years, but then the longer the question has lingered. The more I've begun to question all facets of it.

Just because Clement has transformed this squad of players, doesn't necessarily mean we are beholden to them. Also, Clement has hinted heavily that the clubs approach to recruitment will be changing, I'd imagine this will impact thoughts on player retention too.
And yet we had many on here tell us before he signed for Rangers that he'd 'downed tools' at Sheffield United because of his contract situation down there. He's either that sort of player or he isn't.

Personally I don't think his more recent form is anything to do with his contract; he's just more comfortable playing in a team where everyone knows their role and the tactics are clearly explained.

And yet we had many on here tell us before he signed for Rangers that he'd 'downed tools' at Sheffield United because of his contract situation down there. He's either that sort of player or he isn't.

Personally I don't think his more recent form is anything to do with his contract; he's just more comfortable playing in a team where everyone knows their role and the tactics are clearly explained.

The situation with Sheffield Utd was unique. He wanted to leave them, but they triggered a clause that extended his deal by a year. He wasn't happy about it.

Besides, I'm not saying that it's the sole reason for his form. I'm just not a 100% convinced giving him a new, hefty contract is what should be doing.

I think a deal will be agreed.

Player wants to stay
Club want player to stay
If he really wants to stay and we want him to why is a deal not done,I think he is very much his own man and he really does not care who he plays for as long as he is financially sound which is fine but I think it is affecting his play which has not been great recently and maybe just maybe our manager is keeping an eye on his attitude

The situation with Sheffield Utd was unique. He wanted to leave them, but they triggered a clause that extended his deal by a year. He wasn't happy about it.

Besides, I'm not saying that it's the sole reason for his form. I'm just not a 100% convinced giving him a new, hefty contract is what should be doing.
I agree.

I'd love him to stay - but definetly a position we need to improve on, so it would need to be more of a squad player.

On his day a great player, but he always has that "switching off" moment imo. Saw it on Thursday where he tries a touch, it's too heavy and they are in. When he wasn't bursting to cover di Maria after giving the ball away aswell you're screaming at him.

Genuinely think we need a bit more creativity in there - less of the back three, pass, pass, pass, PUNT tactic ....

If he really wants to stay and we want him to why is a deal not done,I think he is very much his own man and he really does not care who he plays for as long as he is financially sound which is fine but I think it is affecting his play which has not been great recently and maybe just maybe our manager is keeping an eye on his attitude
I can’t agree here in the slightest.

He was playing against far better players against Benfica but had a really good game against Hibs just last week.

He has been excellent for the last 6 months.

We need midfielders with guile & craft and he ain’t it, would rather spend money on that then give him a new contract

We need midfielders with guile & craft and he ain’t it, would rather spend money on that then give him a new contract
It wouldn't need a big spend to replace,

Sterling would control this position after a period of time, in being given it and not being thrown all over the park, game after game,

younger, fitter and faster than Lundstram, he would get up and down the park and also I think over a period of time he would read the game better from a central position

Any reason as to why this hasn't been resolved yet?
I'm really surprised given how much the gaffer values him that it still seems to be a bit up in the air.
I know given his age that he won't be seen as a sellable asset any more and that will play into whatever the contract offer would be but I really do hope he's still here next season, his experience in the middle of the park is absolutely vital imo.
Our DOF will decide if he has better options available to the club with the wages that will be freed up, he will make solid business decisions for the club and won’t be emotional like us fans can be, the same applies to offers for Tav and or Goldson, even Butland. It’s time we made medium to long term decisions, not short term!!

He's been outstanding since Clement came in

No brainer to renew his contract even if it is at the top end of our structure

He's been Clements most reliable player, would be very very hard to replace him and right now in this team and the rebuild we require we could do with him hanging about.
He has not been outstanding, he has been playing well. His passing is still woeful unless passing it to Goldson or Souttar

He's loving it under Clement just now but he loved it under Gio for a while and then completely chucked it towards the end including that McDiarmid Park nonsense and getting a deliberate booking that ruled him out the Ajax game at Ibrox so he avoided another tanking in the CL

He's a good player. But he's been here for 3 years nearly and we've saw it for 7 months tops.

He’s been offered a two year deal on less money he’s on so I doubt he’s staying.
When we signed him, we signed him with no transfer fee. That’s a big leverage for the salary he would have picked up from us. He might have that value now to another club but he doesn’t have that with Rangers anymore. Plus he’s three years older.

I have no inside info, but I could imagine he will want terms on par or greater than Goldson.

He has been immense recently, but it is a big outlay for a guy who's powers are only going to go one way.
He’s already on those terms.

He’ll want to retain them imagine which could be an issue.

it’s a bit different from Goldson, we were on the back of a europa league final, he was a free agent and didn’t sign back with us till he was literally a free agent, Don’t think it’s weird to assume he didn’t get the offers he thought he was going to get.

Could be way off but if he had got an offer from a palace, West Ham etc he wouldn’t be here
Yeah I mean Goldson literally did wait for better offers and sign on again at the last minute when they never materialised, so I’m not sure pointing that out makes you brain dead as the one you quoted suggested.

Lundstrams probably been out best player this season after Butland, but I wouldn’t be held to ransom for massive wages by a guy who’s chucked in the towel twice under two different managers already.

We need to be clever with renewals of this nature. Whilst he has been great for us recently he is the wrong side of 30 now and likely wanting a big salary to renew.

We have also seen these purple patches of form before only for it to dip drastically. Not sure Clement would allow that mind you. The acid test for me is can he consistently control the middle of the park in an Old Firm and I am not convinced on that.

On the right deal we should get him renewed but if he is wanting big wage then I think we may need to look for a younger holding midfielder

He isn’t worth a big money deal, as said already, he has spells when he is great and others he is mince, if we are paying big bucks we should be looking for a younger replacement who has a sell on fee

I’d want to see how Lundstrum performs in the remaining OF games before making any judgement
There’s a few that need to get rid of scar tissue from that particular game..

I agree, we could free up his wage, let Jack go and if we could get a good price for Raskin, we could reinvest in a quality player in that position.
I'd be keen on that. Would make more sense to me.

The midfield needs an overhaul.

Jack, Raskin and Lundstram moved out allows us to construct a proper midfield, with the right balance and dynamics.

That would be my preference.

I think considering his wage demands, age and his glass ceiling, we can get better.
We've been trying to be/get better for years but don't remember too many successes. He knows the club, the league demands, is clearly attached and a positive contributer. I think it makes sense to do the seal. Perhaps a one year with another year option?

I'd be keen on that. Would make more sense to me.

The midfield needs an overhaul.

Jack, Raskin and Lundstram moved out allows us to construct a proper midfield, with the right balance and dynamics.

That would be my preference.
Agree with all of this.
Phil will want to build his own team and although Lundstram isn't bad I'd be surprised if the BBB wasn't looking for better.

I wouldn't be averse to him staying, but the deal has to be right financially for us. Otherwise he can try his luck getting anywhere like a similar deal down south

If we win the treble or even just the league he'll have made a massive contribution, but he's far from replaceable

Then he needs to go. He's in one of his purple patches right now, but we've also seen the other side of him for lengthy periods during his time with us. If he goes he should go with our thanks and best wishes, but he's not irreplaceable.

If the club have offered two years & the same or slightly less wages, this is about right imo.

I do like Lundstram, it's a tough one because I'm not exactly desperate for him to leave however, not so keen on matching his wages again.

He hasn't been a £30k a week player (rumoured to be on even more than that) for most of his time here. Also doubt he'd get much more down south

Back