Why dont we have any money?

Again, that is reserve player money in England.

Not sure why people are so shocked at these wages.

If he stayed in the English Championship, he wouldn't have been on much less than that, so why is it so difficult?
So it's pure guess work.

I think people are looking at the average wage for England and thinking everyone must be on that.

Sterling had shown nothing in the game before coming here. He would have been on 3/4,000 max.

We've prob doubled his salary at most

Im always hearing we have no money but it doesnt add up. We have some decent sales in recent years and our best european performances consistently for years. If we have no money now we never will. Imagine a poor year in europe. Where does that leave us. At what point does it change or is it permanent
Paying the ludicrous wages to the likes of Goldson, Lundstram Matondo, Davies ect, and then a lesser scale the Jacks, Wrights and McLaughlins of this world is a major part of the reasoning.

Same goes for them. Shouldn't get beat from Hearts or Kilmarnock. In fact on spending we shouldn't beat them. It's proving that way.
Absolutely true, I’m not meaning whoever spends the most should always win, or else football would be very boring. I just mean this narrative of we have no money, we spend £15m per season, we have plenty of money for Scottish football. If the question is why don’t we have more money, then fair enough, there’s definitely questions to be answered especially losing players at the end of contract who we could’ve sold for money.

Who says we don't have money?

We must have spent about 40m in the past 4 transfer windows when you factor everything in.

Which is nothing when compared to big leagues but isn't poverty compared to teams in leagues of our size.

We ain't spending the money we get well enough.
It was admitted after the January transfer window we had no money to sign players. That should maybe give you a clue..

So it's pure guess work.

I think people are looking at the average wage for England and thinking everyone must be on that.

Sterling had shown nothing in the game before coming here. He would have been on 3/4,000 max.

We've prob doubled his salary at most

It's guesswork but you're inferring he was on £3k a week at Chelsea?

Isn't that guesswork, too?

Do you think these English based players come up here for the same money they would take to stay down there? I'd imagine we often need to pay more.

Ben Davies is on around 25k a week. Think that says it all.
Watch out pal, unless you have a sworn affidavit confirming this, you're not allowed to mention what you think someone's wage is, even if basic common sense gets you to a rough minimum

When they have spent as someone said £90m in the last 3 seasons. Us spending £15m isn't close enough to realistically compete.
You're deliberately leaving out the fact they've generated 96 million in transfers alone though.

An example of an actual player trading model in effect.

Im always hearing we have no money but it doesnt add up. We have some decent sales in recent years and our best european performances consistently for years. If we have no money now we never will. Imagine a poor year in europe. Where does that leave us. At what point does it change or is it permanent
Constantly paying off managers and their back room teams wont help.

You're deliberately leaving out the fact they've generated 96 million in transfers alone though.

An example of an actual player trading model in effect.
I'm.not. yes their model works but it doesn't change the fact they are actually spending that much money on their team

It's guesswork but you're inferring he was on £3k a week at Chelsea?

Isn't that guesswork, too?

Do you think these English based players come up here for the same money they would take to stay down there? I'd imagine we often need to pay more.
Of course. It's all guess work.
And I acknowledged that we'd have to offer much more than he was on to get him up here. But not £22,000 a week.

Common sense tells you we aren't outlating £52,000 a week on right backs, as that article suggests

Slightly off topic but a reminder that due to a Scottish taxes we have to pay a player £21k per week to get the same take home as a player on £20k per week in England or Wales.

A bigger wage bill than the tinkers.
We've been a badly run club for a long time.
It continues....
Im always hearing we have no money but it doesnt add up. We have some decent sales in recent years and our best european performances consistently for years. If we have no money now we never will. Imagine a poor year in europe. Where does that leave us. At what point does it change or is it p

I'm.not. yes their model works but it doesn't change the fact they are actually spending that much money on their team
Yes, but their spending that amount of money on their team because they can actually do transfer business.

We spent 15 million last year after generating 13.

The difference is in the boardroom.

Paying to much for duds bad management at boardroom level in regards of transfers letting contracts run down so players just walk away paying to much in wages to duff players the upkeep of the stadium and continued failure to reach the champions league and that's just for starters

Of course. It's all guess work.
And I acknowledged that we'd have to offer much more than he was on to get him up here. But not £22,000 a week.

Common sense tells you we aren't outlating £52,000 a week on right backs, as that article suggests
I'd be surprised if it's much less than £15k

Not overly concerned either way, as he looks good value...but I get what you mean.

The boardroom can't just make teams want our players. They also quote rightly aren't going into serious debt to try fund transfers. It doesn't matter what they bring in they are still spending those ridiculous amounts

Ben Davies is on around 25k a week. Think that says it all.
I was just looking at some estimated rankings of wage-bills in the English Championship, with Davies and even Lundstram's situation in mind.

You can almost see why he's happy to sit on his deal - looks like there is only 1 other club with a wagebill the size of ours in that league - the drop from the bigger 4-5 players to the rest is pretty steep.

Stoke, who Davies was linked with before, have a wagebill of about £20m p.a.

Even a few years ago, I'd imagine there would've been far more with bigger spending power on wages than us in that league?

Also, you'd imagine the Championship is the likeliest option for Lundstram if he leaves - and yet who down there is going to match, let alone exceed his current deal with us?

People need to remember how much money our backers put in to fund Warburton near the end, Pedro, and Gerrard. We signed a lot of players during that time and made next to no money in player sales.

That was always going to catch up with us. Gio probably felt the effect more than anyone because he was given %^*& all.

Now we have repeated the mistakes with Beale, in that he was given money to spend and apparently hasn’t spent it wisely. We just don’t earn enough as a club to make those mistakes.
What are you talking about?

He was given around £15m like Beale in the summer and like Gerrard most summers bar the one after COVID

Ridvan? Colak? Davies? Tillman? Were they all free?

He was given around £15m like Beale in the summer and like Gerrard most summers bar the one after COVID

You’ve failed to look at the whole picture there.

Under Van Bronckhorst we sold Patterson, Aribo and Bassey. And under Van Bronckhorst we got to the Europa League final and he qualified us for the CL groups.

So in the context of him generating a phenomenal amount of money, he was given very little in return to spend.

And the reason for that was the manner in which the club had operated since the good guys took control of and bankrolled Rangers.

Last edited:

Isn’t our wage bill around £60 million & we allowed Beale to spend circa £20 million in the summer?

No he wasn’t it was less than £10million.

Colak was bought and sold for a profit within a season.

Tillman was free and is making us money somewhere sometime despite never actually being our player.

We brought in 7 players (3 of which free transfers) and got rid of something like 14, given the short period of time he was here I suspect the only signing GvB and Makaay had any involvement in was Tillman given Makaay’s link with Bayern and the whole of Germany sat up and watched as we beat the tournament favourites, Dortmund, then Leipzig before playing Eintracht Frankfurt in the final of the Europa League.

I suspect we may have been in more severe financial trouble, particularly with UEFA, had we not sold Aribo, Bassey and Patterson for over £40million from under GvB all the time cashing in on the riches of the run to Seville followed up by negotiating two tough qualifying rounds to make the holy land of the Champions League fortunes the next season.

I bet other than Tilman Gio had never heard of any of those players until they signed.

Every time we sign an older player (who are always on high wages), the transfer thread is full of comments saying “not every signing needs to have sell on value”. So I think a lot of those commenting on here cheered on when we made those signings.

Spent what money we had on sh!te, pay mad wages on said sh!te, the fees we have paid for some of the players we’ve got is bizarre.

Have you bothered to read the accounts?

We’ve wasted an eye watering amount of money on both players who don’t have the required ability and on players who are professional hospital patients first and professional footballers second.

We’ve wasted an eye watering amount of money on both players who don’t have the required ability and on players who are professional hospital patients first and professional footballers second.
We must've broken some kind of world record for stockpiling centre forwards who can't play as the type of centre forward we need?

Reactions: WLF
There must be £200K of wages producing nothing every week for us when you count up Roofe, Jack, Davies, Dowell, Barrasic, Danilo, etc.
How can the wage bill be £60million , that's equivalent of having 40 players on £30 k a week

Think others have covered it well in the thread, but it really is incredible how much money the club is wasting on personnel who are contributing absolutely nothing to the success (or otherwise) of the club while the fan in the street continues to pack out grounds at huge expense.

Not limited to us obviously but it’s little wonder we’ve got deadwood quite happy to chill out and pick up a wedge for doing absolutely nothing, the club makes it far too comfortable for these guys.

That’s before you get to chucking millions of pounds in transfer fees at absolute dross.

Back