Candeias for portugal

Tony75tfc

surprised candeias didnt get a shout for a Portugal cap after his performances so far especially in europa league .todays game would have been ideal to give him a run out to see what he could do at international level given it is in effect a second string portugal side

surprised candeias didnt get a shout for a Portugal cap after his performances so far especially in europa league .todays game would have been ideal to give him a run out to see what he could do at international level given it is in effect a second string portugal side
His age is against him unfortunately more likely to give the youngsters a call up to see of they can handle the international stage

To be brutally honest I don't think he has anything to offer them at that level mate. He's getting on in his career. I'm happy that he finally seems to have found a footballing home at Ibrox and that we're getting the best out of him. He deserves a rest after some of the shifts he's put in of late, rather than risk injury trotting out for 15 minutes at a half empty Hampden against some hammer throwers on the pitch and a bunch of cunts who would boo him relentlessly off the pitch.

Not a chance he’ll get a sniff of gett8ng in that squad

Not just because he isn’t good enough mind

He capped heavily at other age groups but is only really now playing to his full potential
This. He has 67 caps at youth level up to under 23 and whenever he was put out on loan it was to la liga or bundesliga etc. I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that he could get a few caps but he'll never be a main player. He's the sort of player that would be ideal to bring on for the last 20-30 minutes and kill defences with his pace. Has to do it consistently in the Europa or champions league though.

Im not saying he should be a starter in portugal squad for important games but surely a run out in a friendly would be well deserved after his performances for us the guy gives 100% and runs his heart out

Personally ( and selfishly ) happy that he has not been selected for Portugal which means one less potential injury to worry about.
He has been terrific recently !

No where near good enough for the Portuguese national team.
And to be honest at the risk of upsetting some on here, if we want to start winning titles then we need to improve on players like candeias.

Absolutely agree with this. He is a decent player who puts in a shift but i'm hopeful the Albanian lad is a level or 2 above him.

Absolutely agree with this. He is a decent player who puts in a shift but i'm hopeful the Albanian lad is a level or 2 above him.
he's won the ball from defenders and set up 2 goals for Morelos recently...a winger who's got dig in the tackle and tracks back to cover............I'm a fan

No where near good enough for the Portuguese national team.
And to be honest at the risk of upsetting some on here, if we want to start winning titles then we need to improve on players like candeias.

I get what you're are saying and agree that international football is probably a good bit beyond him now, but Portugal did persist for years with one of the worst strikers around in the shape of Helder Postiga.

To be fair I imagine the competition for places will be pretty fierce.

I would rather he gets a rest during international weeks as he works his bollocks off for us and that’s all I care about.

A bit like the Novo for Spain stuff.

Don't think he's at the level to play for Portugal but stranger things have happened in football.

Inconsistent? Think you’ve got the wrong player mate.

He may not be international standards but his performances have been the most consistent out of our entire squad.
Maybe inconsistent Ian the right word.

To me, there’s something about him.

He’s full of effort, but his ability, I feel, won’t develop to much.

I think he’s lucky to be at Rangers and he knows he’s lucky to be here getting first team games.

He’s enjoying himself for sure.

Maybe inconsistent Ian the right word.

To me, there’s something about him.

He’s full of effort, but his ability, I feel, won’t develop to much.

I think he’s lucky to be at Rangers and he knows he’s lucky to be here getting first team games.

He’s enjoying himself for sure.

He’s a good enough standard to win the league with us I think, maybe not the league years ago but the standard these days is lesser I believe.

This. He has 67 caps at youth level up to under 23 and whenever he was put out on loan it was to la liga or bundesliga etc. I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that he could get a few caps but he'll never be a main player. He's the sort of player that would be ideal to bring on for the last 20-30 minutes and kill defences with his pace. Has to do it consistently in the Europa or champions league though.

He played one season in Germany with Nuremberg in the second division, with Granada he got relegated and Metz were in Ligue 2. He didn't get loaned to a Bundesliga team ever and had less than a season in La Liga.

He's a 30 year old journeymen who has done ok with us , i think Portugal will be looking for younger better players

It's worth saying that just because the majority here, myself included, think he's not at that level doesn't mean he's rubbish or not good enough for us.
It's more that the competition for the wide/attacking positions for Portugal are Ronaldo, Nani, Guedes, Bernardo Silva, Bruma, Helder Costa, Rafa Silva, Gelson Martins and Quaresma. :eek:

Ur ye aye?
Good player nowhere near Portugal class

To be honest mate, I wasn't sure whether to post what I said because I don't like to have a go at Rangers players. He works hard and gives his all, of that there is no doubt, I just think we need better quality if we want to win leagues again.

I get what you're are saying and agree that international football is probably a good bit beyond him now, but Portugal did persist for years with one of the worst strikers around in the shape of Helder Postiga.
I don't mean to disrespect him, I appreciate he works hard but he lacks quality in my opinion.

He's a 30 year old journeymen who has done ok with us , i think Portugal will be looking for younger better players

This is the key point. No matter how well he’s played for us, why would Portugal use a friendly to check out a 30 year old? They have so much young talent they’d want to use friendliest to check them out no?

He really fits the Scottish game and does well for us, I really can't see him getting near a cap for the European Champions mind you.

People need to calm it and realise the depth of talent Portugal have available to him.

He's cracking for us on his day but would be lucky to be anywhere near 5th choice RW for them.

If he was a young up and comer he would at least be on their radar but they won't want or need him.

Portugal have some cracking wingers. He's not at the level of them and he's soon to be 31 so if someone got injured it would be be far more beneficial to give the chance to a younger player

Back