Hakan Sukur- Uber driver

Mustang mad

Top scorer for turkish national side, all time top scorer in Turkish top league- reduced to driving for Uber and selling books for a living in the US!!

Hakan Sukur is Turkey's greatest ever goalscorer and once one of Europe's most prolific strikers. A legend.
So, how did he end up driving taxis and selling books for a living in the US, in exile from his home country?
According to an interview with German newspaper, Welt am Sonntag, the 48-year-old former striker's life has taken an unusual and troubling turn since retiring from football in 2008.
He claims that a rift with the President of Turkey, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, has exposed him to death threats, false accusations and lack of access to funds.
'I have nothing left, Erdogan took everything: my right to liberty, freedom of expression and right to work," he told the paper.
Sukur scored 51 goals in 112 appearances for Turkey between 1992 and 2007. He was part of the Turkish side that finished third at the 2002 World Cup.
The former Blackburn player spent the majority of his career at Galatasaray and is the all-time leading goalscorer in the Super Lig - the Turkish top flight.
Sukur scored what is still the fastest ever World Cup goal, just 11 seconds after kick-off against South Korea in 2002
After retiring from football, he went into politics. In 2011, Sukur won a seat in Turkey's Parliament as a member of Erdogan's Justice and Development Party .
But he was also tied to Fethullah Gulen, a Turkish Islamic scholar and rival of Erdogan, whom the Turkish President blamed for a bloody attempted coup in 2016.
Sukur, by then living in the US, reportedly denounced the attempted coup, but was nonetheless, in 2017, described by Turkish-run state media as a "fugitive member of the Fetullah Terrorist Organisation (FETO)".
That report describes him living in a $3m house, running a cafe at Palo Alto, "the richest area of San Francisco Bay Area".
Sukur tells a less fun-sounding story.
"I moved to the United States, initially running a cafe in California, but strange people kept coming into the bar," he told Welt am Sonntag. "Now I drive for Uber and I sell books."
He has said that his houses, businesses and bank accounts in Turkey had all been seized by Erdogan's government.
He also denies any crimes.
"Nobody seems able to explain what my role in this coup was supposed to be," he added. "I never did anything illegal, I am not a traitor or a terrorist."
This is not the first time he's spoken on the subject. In 2018 he told the New York Times: "It's my country; I love my people, even though their ideas about me are distorted by controlled media."
The story throws up more questions about Erdogan's government. In 2018, Mesut Ozil attracted criticism after posing for a picture with the Turkish President, including from the German Football Federation (***), which said "football and the *** defend values which are not sufficiently respected by Mr Erdogan".
Erdogan was subsequently best man at Ozil's wedding.

Still a lot of weird unanswered questions. What happened that led him to go from elected politician to running a cafe in California? Omitting stuff like that drives me crazy.

Why on earth didn't/doesn't he get into coaching?
it's sad but I think the Turkish govt have basically not let him or a rival party proceed with any opposition party. They are so corrupt and have seized his finances and bank accounts, so it sounds like he was left bankrupt with no other option to flee.

So what about the $3m dollar house?

sounds like he’s got a good few quid but not quite enough to retire or he can’t be arsed and likes to keep himself busy.

Is he any relation to Kakan?

Legend.

UBZ4URf.jpg

Some bump that one, last post Jan 2020.
Hardly any of the posters on here now.

Was gonna start a new thread on it but thought it had probably been on here before

And so it had

Mental story all the same

Bit of a risk getting involved in politics in these types of countries when you can easily just enjoy your status as a sporting icon and steer clear of controversy, Imran Khan is another example.
Although maybe it’s an ego thing, thinking their sporting status will lead to greater things.

Back