BT documentary tonight on the great Jimmy Greaves, what a player

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
Born in Essex in 1940, James Peter Greaves went on to become one of the greatest goal scorers ever in the history of the English game. His incredible ability to find the net saw him make a name for himself, not just on these shores, but across Europe too.

The ultimate goal-scoring machine, Greaves still remains the highest scorer in the history of English top-flight football and has also netted more hat-tricks for England than anyone else.

He currently stands fourth in the list of the Three Lions’ most prolific international marksmen with 44 goals from just 57 appearances, and he is also Tottenham Hotspur’s highest ever goal-scorer, having found the net 266 times during his time at White Hart Lane – not to mention being the First Division’s top scorer in six seasons throughout his impressive career.

So deft was the forward when rounding defenders and beating goalkeepers, that his playing style was once described as the football equivalent of closing the door on a Rolls Royce. By his own admission, Greaves didn’t score too many spectacular goals or spend lots of time practicing his finishing, but instead relied on his incredible dribbling ability and a natural instinct when it came to finding the net.

His instinctive and natural gift of being able to put the ball into the net from pretty much anywhere, was all he required to ensure that he is still remembered for his goal-scoring prowess.

There is little footage of Jimmy Greaves beating keepers with shots from outside of the penalty area or with spectacular volleys or towering headers, but there are plenty of clips showing him rounding defenders or goalkeepers before tapping home from close range, and that ultimately sums up the kind of player that this terrific forward was.

Between his Chelsea debut in 1957 and his final game for West Ham United in 1971, Greaves scored a staggering 422 goals in 602 club appearances, a figure that underlines his status as one of the greatest players England has ever produced.

After making his first team debut at the age of 17, Greaves hit 100 league goals before his 21st birthday and, despite only spending four seasons at Chelsea, is placed seventh in their all-time scoring charts with 132 goals in 169 games. The 41 goals he scored in the 1960-61 season remains a top flight record for the Blues.

After a brief stint with AC Milan, Greaves joined Spurs in December 1961 for a fee of £99,999. He took no time to settle under legendary manager Bill Nicholson, scoring a hat-trick on his debut against Blackpool and striking up a deadly partnership with Bobby Smith.

The much-loved striker would end up netting 266 times during a glorious nine-year stint at Tottenham, becoming their all-time leading scorer and winning two FA Cups and a European Cup Winners’ Cup in the process, ensuring he will always be remembered as one of the club’s all-time greats.

During his time at Chelsea and Spurs, Greaves was the First Division top scorer in six separate seasons, something that has never since been equalled. The stats are all the more impressive considering he retired at the age of 31 and his final season with West Ham was the only full season of his career in which he did not reach double figures, scoring nine goals in 34 appearances.

While many believe the Londoner to have been something of a failure in Serie A, he did, in fact, manage to score nine goals in 12 games against against the sort of defensive systems that he hated and would ultimately lead to his swift return to England.

His international career was just as littered with goals as his club days. Greaves scored 44 goals for England, meaning he sits behind Bobby Charlton, Gary Lineker and Wayne Rooney in the scoring charts.

However, his lethal finishing ability is highlighted by a far superior scoring rate to his rivals. Greaves’ goals came in just 57 appearances, whereas Rooney took 100 games to reach the same number. Greaves also scored six international hat-tricks which is still the most of any player in Three Lions history.

When a player has scored so many goals in his career it’s almost impossible to single out one as being the best. But one strike from Greaves in particular even brought high praise from a man who very rarely went overboard when it came to recognising individual achievements – his former boss at Spurs, Bill Nicholson.

When facing Leicester City at White Hart Lane in 1968, Greaves scored a hat-trick, but one goal would be remembered by Nicholson for being particularly special and was a trademark Jimmy Greaves solo effort. Receiving the ball from goalkeeper Pat Jennings on the halfway line, instant control on his instep took him diagonally towards goal where he beat the first man with his deft touch and accelerated past the second with a deceiving swivel and dip of his right shoulder.

Straightening his run, he dragged the ball back and away from the third defender and as it dawned on everyone that they might be witnessing something special; a deathly silence fell across the ground as the crowd held its collective breath.

Greaves was now bearing down on goal, but not before he had drawn in another defender and put him on his backside. By this time young pretender to Gordon Banks’ throne, Peter Shilton, made his move towards Greaves’ dazzlingly quick feet but it was too late, Jimmy casually slid the ball past the prone goalkeeper and it rolled into the net, just inside the post.

Greaves was a prolific goal-scorer and cited his relaxed attitude as the reason for his assured composure and confidence in front of goal, as he tormented defenders and made fools out of goalkeepers. He was also blessed with fantastic pace as well as great positional skills, dribbling ability and his opportunism inside the penalty area, meaning he is still regarded to this day as one of the best strikers to have ever played the game.

His legacy is enduring and his statistics stand the test of time, even against the greats of today’s game, as he remained the all-time leading goal scorer in Europe’s top five leagues until earlier this year when overtaken by Christiano Ronaldo; his 366 goals put him ahead of even Germany legend Gerd Muller and Barcelona’s Lionel Messi.

England is yet to produce another goal-scorer quite as prolific as Greaves, and stats like this suggest it could be a long, long wait before we see anyone as good as him again.

Before my time as a player but my dad always said if he had to back a player to score to save his life he would bet on Jimmy Greaves .

My old man said similar.

He saw Greaves score against us for Spurs and always mentioned him when we talked about the greatest we had ever seen.

One of my footballing memories as a youngster in the late 60's. Reading the Sunday papers sports section and Greaves name being on the scoresheet for Spurs almost every week.

My old man said similar.

He saw Greaves score against us for Spurs and always mentioned him when we talked about the greatest we had ever seen.
There's another thread about great players who have played at Ibrox, perhaps Greaves name should be added to it. He also got the Scotland England rivalry referring to us all the time as Jocks, imagine how many that would offend these days.

Before my time, although I enjoyed his show with Ian St. John and was aware of his legend and his goal scoring record.

Would it be fair to say that Ally was in the mould of Greavsie?

Wish I’d seen him.
Funnily enough I remember speaking to an older bear at one of the Erskine doos, and for whatever reason he mentioned Jimmy Greaves as being the best player he’d seen at Ibrox. Strange that he used the word “deadly” to describe him, as it was the word my own old man used to describe Greaves.
I introduced the old man to him and when I said to him how would you describe Jimmy Greaves, he said “deadly”
I love to hear older bears reminiscing about the greats, and he’s one of the ones I’ll always remember my dad talking about.
Quite possibly the only guy to bring out similar expressions and superlatives to our own Jimmy (Baxter) in my old man. He was clearly held in that regard.

He didn’t really figure in the 66 World Cup, if I’m right. Was it injury or did Alf Ramsey have a problem with him. He was streets ahead of Geoff hurst. Otherwise he was a fantastic player.

26 years old and at the peak of his powers.

Ramsey did not select him for the world cup final.

Jimmy did not hang about for the game. He phucked off and went for a pint:)

26 years old and at the peak of his powers.

Ramsey did not select him for the world cup final.

Jimmy did not hang about for the game. He phucked off and went for a pint:)

I vaguely remember the 66 World Cup.

Greaves started in group play but picked up an injury.
He recovered in time for the final but Ramsey wouldn’t change a winning team it caused a bit of controversy in the pres but the rest is history as they say..

Greaves was actually behind Ramsey at the final and there’s a photograph at the final whistle everyone else is going mental except Grraves. He’s sitting brooding.
In his book he figures that was when he became an alcoholic.

He didn’t really figure in the 66 World Cup, if I’m right. Was it injury or did Alf Ramsey have a problem with him. He was streets ahead of Geoff hurst. Otherwise he was a fantastic player.
A travesty that he wasn't selected for the final. Fantastic player.

I vaguely remember the 66 World Cup.

Greaves started in group play but picked up an injury.
He recovered in time for the final but Ramsey wouldn’t change a winning team it caused a bit of controversy in the pres but the rest is history as they say..

Greaves was actually behind Ramsey at the final and there’s a photograph at the final whistle everyone else is going mental except Grraves. He’s sitting brooding.
In his book he figures that was when he became an alcoholic.

He was spewing. Inarguably the greatest striker in the world and Hurst and Moore selected before him. Ramsey got lucky.

Excellent watch- what a player and goalscorer. The quality of those finishes show that guy would have made top grade in any era. Also a strong character to bounce back from the demon drink. True legend

Excellent programme.
I think I already knew much of his career, but is was great to see it all put together like that.
When he was in his pomp, we didn’t have the wall to wall coverage of football we have now, so it was the occasional game on TV or a short at the cinema.
He had an amazing ability to ghost past people and you didn’t actually see him doing it. A bit like Messi, where you say to yourself, ‘what the hell did he just do there?’
Very gifted.

Decent watch that.. And some archive footage of Ibrox and Jock Wallace!! :))

His goal scoring record speaks for itself but looked a natural in that footage.

The state o that Maine Road pitch though:)) imagine our lot playing in that on Thursday:)):)):))

That was an excellent watch and what a player he was.
I didn't appreciate he had hepatitis prior to the World Cup and says a lot about him to get back to the top again.

What a smashing watch that was. I was aware of his records but I’d never really watched any footage of him. My goodness what a player. Would loved to have seen him play in a match.

How Ramsay didn't play him in that final is absolutely unbelievable

Viewing the documentary I would agree, even though it is old footage you can't help but think that if you took him from the 60's and put him in the EPL now, he would still be the top scorer and cause damage. He was a natural footballer and physically ahead of many.

Even Hurst could not understand why he was picked or believe his luck. But history has it that Hurst scored the hat trick in the final.

Saying that Greaves would have probably scored six.

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Born in the 80’s , the only thing I knew of greaves was the tv sports show sat afternoon. I’ll be honest I had no idea the player he was. Must have been a joy to watch. On another note, I thought our pitch was looking bad, jeez oh, some of those surfaces back then were unbelievable.

My old man said similar.

Really enjoyed that last night.

I once saw him speak about being dropped from the England WC team and also about the 1967 3-2 defeat to Scotland at Wembley.

Was full of praise for our own Ronnie McKinnon and said he was the quickest centre half he ever played against.
High praise indeed!

Way before my time, but any footage I've ever seen of him, he looked like an absolute goal machine and a top drawer striker.

How Ramsay didn't play him in that final is absolutely unbelievable

His replacement did score a hat trick, to be fair mate and they did win the World Cup, so it's hard to be too critical of Ramsey.

Having said that, there's no question who the best striker was between them.

You only have to look at their goalscoring records.

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Born in the 80’s , the only thing I knew of greaves was the tv sports show sat afternoon. I’ll be honest I had no idea the player he was. Must have been a joy to watch. On another note, I thought our pitch was looking bad, jeez oh, some of those surfaces back then were unbelievable.

I was born in late 70’s and to me Greavsie was the old guy that reviewed the week’s TV on TVAM...

Excellent programme, something BT Sport have done quite well at

For most people born in a certain period from the early 1970s onwards I reckon they only really know Jimmy Greaves via Saint & Greavsie TV AM or The Big Match include myself in that but if you go looking you will see Jimmy Greaves the player

Yes he was very good player, sure things didn't work in Italy but that can happen to any player moving to a foreign country you could hardly blame him since he states it was money that took him there before the maximum wage was abolished in England

Harsh on him in 1966 but he did pick up an injury during the tournament and you can hardly blame Alf Ramsay for not changing it if it was working

Alan Gilzean with a full head of hair, that Tottenham team had some fabulous players, Pat Jennings, Danny Blanchflower, Dave MacKay, John Whyte, Gilzean and the best striker in the world in Jimmy Greaves, what a player if he played nowadays on pitches that weren't mud heaps and against defenders who can't challenge waist high, who knows how many goals he may have scored.

I tried googling how many penalties he took and they have him down for 14 / 14 . If that’s true it makes his record even better with not taking many pens .

That was an excellent watch and what a player he was.
I didn't appreciate he had hepatitis prior to the World Cup and says a lot about him to get back to the top again.
He said it robbed him of half a yard of pace and he never was the same player again. But still scored for fun. One of the all time greats.

Back