Hibs warn that difficult decisions will have to be made

ItsInTheNet

Chairman Ronald Gordon has warned Hibernian fans that “difficult decisions” will have to be taken as another Scottish club faced up to the financial implications of the coronavirus crisis.

The pandemic has closed down football in Scotland since March 13, with no firm date for resumption and clubs unable to generate money from fixtures.

Edinburgh rivals Hearts have asked players and staff to take a 50 per cent wage cut, while Aberdeen chairman Dave Cormack told Dons fans he faces “some tough decisions” due to an expected £5million shortfall.

In a statement released on the Hibs website, Gordon outlined his club’s position.
He said: “Scottish football is waiting to see what happens next and if and when the season might resume.

“In the meantime, our priority as a club is to look after the welfare of our staff, our players, our supporters and – where we can – our community.

“With all that is going on, it is difficult to look to the immediate future with any degree of clarity. However, there are some certainties – we have lost our revenue streams, while our ongoing running costs remain largely in place, and we anticipate that we will not be playing matches in the coming months. This is clearly not sustainable.

“Although Hibernian is better positioned than most to weather the storm, we are far from immune. Unfortunately, other clubs are facing similar or even more severe problems.

“The loss of cash in the bank puts our club under the most severe strain and threat.
“We have already begun making operational adjustments to impact our costs and will be taking further steps over the next week or so to mitigate the effects of the crisis on our club.

“Difficult decisions will have to be made.

“But every decision we do make will be with two key priorities in mind, firstly to look after our people, and, secondly, to ensure the club remains in as healthy a financial position as possible.

“It is not going to be easy and we will need every part of the club to play its part to achieve this. Since my arrival, I have spoken of the concept of ‘one team, one club’.

“The idea that everyone is necessary and indispensable to the success of our club.

“The fans, players, sponsors, the academy, the ticket office, the communications team, Hibs kids, hospitality, coaches, senior management and the board – everyone contributes to our success.

“It is especially true in difficult and uncertain times like these. We are one team. We are all Hibs.”

“Although Hibernian is better positioned than most to weather the storm, we are far from immune. Unfortunately, other clubs are facing similar or even more severe problems.
“The loss of cash in the bank puts our club under the most severe strain and threat.

So, "Hibs is better positioned than most" and "other clubs face even more severe problems".
But "The loss of cash in the bank puts our club under the most severe strain and threat."
How can other clubs face even more severe problems than the most severe?
Yes, I'm bored.

So, "Hibs is better positioned than most" and "other clubs face even more severe problems".
But "The loss of cash in the bank puts our club under the most severe strain and threat."
Yes, I'm bored.

Well, Hibs are facing difficult decisions whereas Aberdeen are facing tough decisions.

I hope the lack of news from us means we will be ok that's all I care about every other club can go to the wall and I won't give a jot would happily watch rangers play a load of amateur sides

Hibernian FC
"A message from our captain, David Gray.

Season tickets are available now and we look forward to seeing you all at a packed out Easter Road as soon as possible."

:rolleyes:

Yes, I'm bored.
The mostest.

Our club cannot escape this anymore than any of the others, and as for ST holders how will we know what we are paying for, in the short term, never mind longer term, football will be destroyed as we know it, of that I have no doubt.

Of course they’re hurting it’s not rocket science . Guaranteed the further this goes on the more transparent they’ll have to become and we will see if septic are as well off as they say .

Our club cannot escape this anymore than any of the others, and as for ST holders how will we know what we are paying for, in the short term, never mind longer term, football will be destroyed as we know it, of that I have no doubt.
it might affect us in the longer term but i still want all the scum clubs to die.

Can’t stand them but our support are deluded if they think we won’t be affected by this. We will have to ask players to take a wage cuts and reduce any costs we can.
You seem certain about it happening to us, but do you know when it will?

Meanwhile the SPFL sit on a nice wee stockpile of prize money and tv / sponsor revenue that they won’t distribute evenly between all clubs due to fear of a mentally challenged backlash from scrapping the season.

Saying that, Hibs and sheep supporters would probably be quite happy to see their clubs in financial ruin if they thought it would gift the mentally challengeds the title and annoy us.

Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen will not get one bit of sympathy from me. From a business perspective though, what the SPFL are doing is madness.

There won’t be a league left to resume if this runs on for months.

Not going to rejoice in any clubs pain but they along with Aberdeen would rather have an empty stand than sell the seats to us or Celtic.
Madness.

The two Edinburgh clubs should merge. Wallace Mercer was right all along.

Regarding our position, no doubt we will not be immune by any means but I think the two EL games in the last number of weeks might be of real significance in that they injected actual money into the club. In ticket sales alone you must be talking close to £4 million of cashflow which seems to be where a lot of clubs and businesses are struggling.

If next season isn't on time most clubs will probably go bust. I don't know how any club could sustain with no income.

Declare the season null and void and split the prizemoney evenly between the clubs, It's the fairest way. :))

It absolutely is not.

It means the clubs at the very bottom would get about £600,000 when they normally between £45,000 and £67,000

Ten time more that then would have got.

Rangers on the other hand would lose out on £1.8m, based on currently being in second place.

How is that "the fairest way"

Can’t stand them but our support are deluded if they think we won’t be affected by this. We will have to ask players to take a wage cuts and reduce any costs we can.

I haven't ever noticed any of our support say we won't be affected by this. The deluded jib is unwarranted

If next season isn't on time most clubs will probably go bust. I don't know how any club could sustain with no income.

This will almost certainly be the most likely outcome as there seems very little prospect of the season resuming in August given the rapid acceleration of this currently raging through the nation.

Meanwhile the SPFL sit on a nice wee stockpile of prize money and tv / sponsor revenue that they won’t distribute evenly between all clubs due to fear of a mentally challenged backlash from scrapping the season.

Saying that, Hibs and sheep supporters would probably be quite happy to see their clubs in financial ruin if they thought it would gift the mentally challengeds the title and annoy us.

Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen will not get one bit of sympathy from me. From a business perspective though, what the SPFL are doing is madness.

There won’t be a league left to resume if this runs on for months.
Do you still go to the away games at Hearts ,Hibs and Aberdeen ?

If there’s one club that I would love to go down or suffer any loss of finances it would be Hibs

The Hibs Club has watched events in Scottish football this summer with increasing concern:

For Hibs and their fans this summer should have been solely about a much needed rebuilding process.

Instead we have watched with increasing concern as the whole Scottish game has been tarnished by the financial collapse of Rangers.

As Hibs fans we know only too well how men concerned more with profiteering than the wishes of fans can risk the very existence of a football club.

So it is with increasing dismay that we have watched Scottish football tear itself apart in its attempts to protect a business model that operates more for the benefit of TV executives than ordinary supporters.

We believe that the new Rangers – if they can satisfy the usual standards demanded for SFA membership – should start out again in the Third Division.

We welcomed the “no” vote passed by the SPL, including our own club, but we have watched with dismay as the SPL clubs have stood silently on the sidelines as their own Chief Executive – with the help and approval of a now entirely discredited SFA – has tried to bully and threaten lower division clubs into submission.

Not only do we find the tactics used by Neil Doncaster and Stewart Regan abhorrent, we also take issue with the doomsday scenarios they have offered as evidence.

While TV money and corporate sponsorship are undoubtedly important we do not believe that all of them would vanish if the Rangers newco was not guaranteed a place in the SPL within 12 months.

Not as long as Hearts statement but saying the same thing. They are in trouble and the longer this goes on the more a lot of clubs will not survive this and with more outgoings Hearts/Hibs Aberdeen will feel it more than some smaller clubs.

That's now them, Heerts and sheep making noises about struggling already and it's only been a few weeks. If this goes on as long as predicted there won't be many teams left.

It's a financial nightmare for all clubs regardless of size. Bigger clubs in the top 5 leagues pay mind numbing wages. Will their TV deals and sponsorship see them through 3,6,8 months?
In our case the expected share issue would be very unlikely anytime soon.
There will almost certainly be casualties amongst the football fraternity, to what extent is anyone's guess.

Have no sympathy with any team after our treatment over the years. This kind of thing shows how scummy the rhats are putting pishy titles before people’s jobs

Back